MHDT Havana DAC
Aug 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #2,476 of 2,680
First USA based person gets it for free.

One NOS AEG 5670 tube.

I have two since Robert has been so gracious with various trades and so I thought I'd give one away to a random Havana user.

This tube rivals (if not bests) the venerable Bendix 6385 tube. Very similar sound signatures ... 

First USA Havana user with decent posts/time on the forum, gets it.  

Let me know yo!!

Aug 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,478 of 2,680
Only USA folk for now .. thanks for the interest, though. 

Seriously, it's nearly the same as the Bendix 6385 tube .. my  head-fi friend, Robert sent me this and he said it himself that it's a Bendix killer ..

./...

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #2,479 of 2,680
(I'm not a Havana user so I'm out) Just wanted to say this is cool of you. Hey who doesn't like free 'anything'? lol

I've just started reading up on this brand after seeing your post. It would seem AEG didn't make tubes but bought tubes from another manufacturer(s) and had their branding placed on them. Do you have any idea who made it?

I use a Bendix in my MHDT Labs DAC and though I've only been using it for a day I'm liking it a lot. If this sounds just like it and at a fraction of the cost then that would be a killer tube.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #2,480 of 2,680

I've just started reading up on this brand after seeing your post. It would seem AEG didn't make tubes but bought tubes from another manufacturer(s) and had their branding placed on them. Do you have any idea who made it?

GE made this tube for special order in the 90's.
It really sounds good, comparable to Bendix 6385, but Bendix is better made and longer life tube.

Aug 24, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #2,482 of 2,680
I will take the tube if still available!
Thanks

Aug 29, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #2,483 of 2,680
Hey guys,

I started reading this thread this morning, but made the mistake of fast-forwarding to the end, only to discover there's a whole lot of modding going on.  
biggrin.gif
  (To good effect, apparently!)

Can someone please take a stab at itemizing the most popular mods and stating what each of them does in terms of audible improvements over the stock Havana?

I was just about to order one but now, I really want to know what I'll be missing if I don't mod it.

For context, let me add that my goal is to achieve a warmer, less edgy and sibilant sound, without losing any resolution, that what I'm getting with the following chain:

FiiO X5 PCM1792A Line Out > OPPO HA-1 amp section, balanced out > HD800

If I get the Havana, I would use Coaxial Out from the X5, as follows:

FiiO X5 Coaxial Out > MHDT Havana > OPPO HA-1 amp section, balanced out > HD800

I'm basically trying to move my HD800 in the direction of an LCD-2 signature, without a loss of resolution or sound stage.  
redface.gif

Right now, the X5 Line Out into the HA-1's amp is already easier on my ears with the HD800 than when using the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC.

Thanks!

Mike

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #2,484 of 2,680
  Hey guys,

I started reading this thread this morning, but made the mistake of fast-forwarding to the end, only to discover there's a whole lot of modding going on.  
biggrin.gif

Can someone please take a stab at itemizing the most popular mods and stating what each of them does in terms of audible improvements over the stock Havana?

I was just about to order one but now, I really want to know what I'll be missing if I don't mod it.

For context, let me add that my goal is to achieve a warmer, less edgy and sibilant sound, without losing any resolution, that what I'm getting with the following chain:

FiiO X5 PCM1792A Line Out > OPPO HA-1 amp section, balanced out > HD800

If I get the Havana, I would use Coaxial Out from the X5, as follows:

FiiO X5 Coaxial Out > MHDT Havana > OPPO HA-1 amp section, balanced out > HD800

I'm basically trying to move my HD800 in the direction of an LCD-2 signature, without a loss of resolution or sound stage.  
redface.gif

Right now, the X5 Line Out into the HA-1's amp is already easier on my ears with the HD800 than when using the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC.

Thanks!

Mike

Man. Just buy the Havana and worry about modding it later.

You will LOVE it with the HD800. It's practically a dream DAC with that headphone and also any Grado. The stock Havana is a brilliant, smooth and completely musical DAC that I don't think anyone could fault other than those that have already improved it via mods.  Totally a winner for the money.

You won't be missing out on anything by going with the stock Havana ... 

And reading about the mods should just inspire you to discover what more the already awesome stock Havana can do by modding it down the line.

I used a stock Havana for years with all sorts of Grado headphones and also the HD800's. I now use a completely stock MHDT Stockholm v2 (which is an improved version of the NOS/R2R Havana design and which costs a bit more. I've been tempted to mod on many occasions but have always just settled on the already excellent qualities of the stock DACs.

Get one. You won't regret it ... 

EDIT: coming from the Fii0 source? Oh man ... you will be floored .... 

Joel

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2,487 of 2,680

Well considering I own a MHDT Pagoda I don't think i need to worry about it.

Indeed ... no worries. Tubes coming your way a bit after the holiday weekend.

Enjoy!

Aug 30, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #2,488 of 2,680
Hey Joel,

Quote:

Man. Just buy the Havana and worry about modding it later.

You will LOVE it with the HD800. It's practically a dream DAC with that headphone and also any Grado. The stock Havana is a brilliant, smooth and completely musical DAC that I don't think anyone could fault other than those that have already improved it via mods.  Totally a winner for the money.

You won't be missing out on anything by going with the stock Havana ... 

And reading about the mods should just inspire you to discover what more the already awesome stock Havana can do by modding it down the line.

I used a stock Havana for years with all sorts of Grado headphones and also the HD800's. I now use a completely stock MHDT Stockholm v2 (which is an improved version of the NOS/R2R Havana design and which costs a bit more. I've been tempted to mod on many occasions but have always just settled on the already excellent qualities of the stock DACs.

Get one. You won't regret it ... 

EDIT: coming from the Fii0 source? Oh man ... you will be floored .... 

Joel

Thanks for this post - I almost placed an order impulsively.  
biggrin.gif

But I'm reading a lot of reviews on a lot of tube dacs, before taking the plunge... 

Uggh!

Mike

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #2,490 of 2,680
  Hey guys,

biggrin.gif

You will lose a lot of micro details and resolution and dynamics with the stock. With the best capacitors on the market Havana improves the level of resolution and details (but keeping the sound balance, that typical NOS tonality &texture) and compete with $2.500-3.000 converters. This is the difference.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back