Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Nov 15, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #31 of 1,488
This is from Meze "Non-detachable ear pads
Do not attempt to pull, remove,
replace or repair this component."

Audeze pads & such ARE replaceable. You can do it yourself. They're just glued on. Meze is telling you not to do that. How are you defending this. Look at that price
Meze earpads are also glued on. Unlike their other headphones they are not magnetic and easily interchangeable.

Everyone coming from an Empyrean might think that this is possible on the Liric and pull them off
Therefore the notice is relevant.

Furthermore it's probably trickier to do the replacement right, therefore they went with the inhouse Service.

There is no real difference to other glued headphones

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #32 of 1,488
Are you guys really expecting people to pay 2k for a pair of headphones without detachable earpads?! Maybe you should be more clear about that drawback instead of hiding it in the manual?
So my two questions

1) Are the Cushions user represable or are fixed glued non represable?
2) How the liric compare to Sony MDR-1ZR?

We meant to provide more information at a later time when we have the tools and video ready, but since your bought this up, I can answer this question briefly.
  1. The earpad are glued to the headphone, you can't remove it and put it back on again. If you removed the earpad, it will be damaged and can't be reused, that's why we put up a warning in our manual to alert our users that they must not attempt to pull, remove, replace or repair this component.
  2. The earpad are replaceable. If you want to replace the earpad, you'll be provided several options for replacement, and one of the options will be an replacement kit for users who want to change the earpad themselves (and we are going to make a video to explain the procedures). We'll treat each case individually, depending on our customers needs and possibilities.
  3. We expect the ear pads to last for 2 years, as stipulated in the warranty, therefore we assume the video and earpad replacement kit is not urgent. We plan to spend some time to look for user-friendly replacement components and try to simplify the procedure before we produce the video.
  4. We have revised our online user manual to minimize unnecessary frustration or misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #33 of 1,488
We meant to provide more information at a later time when we have the tools and video ready, but since your bought this up, I can answer this question briefly.
  1. The earpad are glued to the headphone, you can't remove it and put it back on again. If you removed the earpad, it will be damaged and can't be reused, that's why we put up a warning in our manual to alert our users that they must not attempt to pull, remove, replace or repair this component.
  2. The earpad are replaceable. If you want to replace the earpad, you'll need to acquire a replacement kit and follow our instruction strictly. We'll produce a video to explain the procedure subsequently. In addition, we shall provide the replacement kit for free during warranty period.
  3. The earpad is part of our Ear pad Air Flow (EAF) system, fail to complete the earpad replacement satisfactorily might compromise the performance of the EAF system, therefore we do not recommend you do this operation by yourself. Please leave it to us or trained staff from your dealer unless there is a strong reason to suggest otherwise.
  4. We expect the ear pads to last for 2 years, as stipulated in the warranty, therefore we assume the video and earpad replacement kit is not urgent. We plan to spend some time to look for user-friendly replacement components and try to simply the procedure before we produce the video.
  5. We have revised our online user manual to minimize unnecessary frustration or misunderstanding.
Okay. Understandable. Sorry for throwing a tantrum. I hope it's a hit

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #35 of 1,488
  2. The earpad are replaceable. If you want to replace the earpad, you'll need to acquire a replacement kit and follow our instruction strictly. We'll produce a video to explain the procedure subsequently. In addition, we shall provide the replacement kit for free during warranty period.
  3. The earpad is part of our Ear pad Air Flow (EAF) system, fail to complete the earpad replacement satisfactorily might compromise the performance of the EAF system, therefore we do not recommend you do this operation by yourself. Please leave it to us or trained staff from your dealer unless there is a strong reason to suggest otherwise.
  4. We expect the ear pads to last for 2 years, as stipulated in the warranty, therefore we assume the video and earpad replacement kit is not urgent. We plan to spend some time to look for user-friendly replacement components and try to simply the procedure before we produce the video.
  5. We have revised our online user manual to minimize unnecessary frustration or misunderstanding.

Thanks, that's all what I need to know, if we are able to replace (not as hot swap as the Empyrean or Elite) but still doable, I would be fine.

if the replacement process is not that hard, look how Sony did with Z1R, not as easy as Empyrean but still very useful and easy way to replace the earpads.

Just my 2 cents, specially because lots of people love Empyrean/Elite way to replace earcups so most of them are used to that mechanism from the Meze planar headphones.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #36 of 1,488
We are a bit of a fickle bunch, aren't we..? I wasn't happy with a balanced cable option not being available (since been addressed).
My question is, the dimensions (height, width) of the earcups...is it closer to the Empyrean or the Classic dimension? My ears are rather huge.
I apologize if I missed it while scanning this thread.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #38 of 1,488
Got mine ordered, will share impressions soon.

My only Gripe even before they arrived are the changed connectors. Now I need to invest in aftermarket cabling again...

They look gorgeous and I can't wait to listen to them
As far as a balanced upgrade cable, is the Liric using the same terminator as the 99 and therefore able to be paired with those upgrade cable accesories?

Yes, the Liric and 99 Classic employs the same 3.5mm TS headphone connector, so the 99 Series OFC or silver plated upgrade headphone are compatible with Liric. I am using the 2.5mm silvered plated cable from my 99Classic right now and it works fine so far.

Liric with 99Classic cable.jpg

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #40 of 1,488
Looks to have that outstanding Meze comfort and very understated design for a closed back. It's not my cup of tea because I loved the bolder design of Stellia, but I like what they have done here and know there is an audience for the understated design.

Nov 15, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #41 of 1,488
We are a bit of a fickle bunch, aren't we..? I wasn't happy with a balanced cable option being offered (since been addressed).
My question is, the dimensions (height, width) of the earcups...is it closer to the Empyrean or the Classic dimension? My ears are rather huge.
I apologize if I missed it while scanning this thread.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

I know HK dealer offered a free 4.4mm 99Classic upgrade cable for Liric early birds, did you take advantage of that?

I hope this will clarify your uncertainty.

Lirice earpad vs Empyrean.jpg

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #42 of 1,488
I know HK dealer offered a free 4.4mm 99Classic upgrade cable for Liric early birds, did you take advantage of that?

I hope this will clarify your uncertainty.

Lirice earpad vs Empyrean.jpg
No, I didn't but I ordered anyway. :wink: I'll order a cable in a moment.
Thanks for showing me the earpads! That shows I made the right choice! :ksc75smile:
Cheers and Thanks! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #43 of 1,488
Yes, the Liric and 99 Classic employs the same 3.5mm TS headphone connector, so the 99 Series OFC or silver plated upgrade headphone are compatible with Liric. I am using the 2.5mm silvered plated cable from my 99Classic right now and it works fine so far.

Literally just had this question, thank you for an answer!
IMG_3624.jpg

Since embargo's up I can say I was quite impressed with this headphone, the staging was impressive with great width and depth very cohesive, in terms of tuning I found it mostly linear with a little top end emphasis and sparkle. Certainly enjoyable to listen to and it sounded outstanding with the Diablo, tho I didn't need Turbo mode at all. Normal worked quite well.

My only frustration is I did not have a chance to listen to it with the balanced output only single ended but from what I heard I feel this is going to be an excellent choice for any one wanting a more transparent reference tuned closed back. So it's not that it's lacking body, warmth or even BASS it's just not quite as fun or musical as stuff like the Fostex TH900s, Focal Celestee or Aeon 2C. I for one appreciated that about it but for something with more body the iFi ZenDac was also a great listen too! The bass boost there was useful for when I wanted to add in some fun to EDM or even some Pop Songs.

Not direct comparisons at the moment but keep an eye out for something from us in the future!​

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #44 of 1,488
Antonio Meze said:
“In our folklore, lyricism is found in the smallest of details, from odes to poems, from flute songs to the melismatic tunes of the “doina” (a style of voice singing specific to Romania). Our first closed-back isodynamic headphone was born out of love for music, poetry, and the indisputable attachment we have to our country’s culture.

We’ve been wanting to do a portable planar for a while, and following two successful collaborations with Rinaro, it was a natural next step. Naming it LIRIC was not a game of chance. It was an ideal metaphor to paint the authentic, vivid and poetic sound disguised behind its ethereal silhouette.”

I also adore this bit of insight off Meze's website and feel they've really captured that feel with this headphone!

Nov 15, 2021 at 12:34 PM Post #45 of 1,488
Since embargo's up I can say I was quite impressed with this headphone, the staging was impressive with great width and depth very cohesive, in terms of tuning I found it mostly linear with a little top end emphasis and sparkle. Certainly enjoyable to listen to and it sounded outstanding with the Diablo, tho I didn't need Turbo mode at all. Normal worked quite well.
Do you think this is in the same league with the top tier closed backs for desktop use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back