Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Apr 6, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #1,456 of 1,493
I have the Liric 2 and the E3. They are both excellent. Hard to choose a better. The Liric 2 is fuller and fatter but manages to have alot of detail with shiny transient highs and a good amount of space. Vocals sound real. The instruments layer better on the Liric 2, so that I can hear them separately but they sound naturally connected to one another. This is the best feature of these phones- how everything comes together so naturally and fully with each vocal and instrument still being distinct.

Bass on both phones is very well defined, but less prominent on the E3. There's a bass thump on the Liric 2 that is fun. Feeling the kick drum thump while hearing the cymbals decay out is a blast on the Liric 2.

E3 obviously needs more power, but extra power brings both phones to their fullest potential. Using a Ragnarok 2 and a Q7 to drive each.

The E3 has a wider stage, but can be thinner sounding with less lower bass. Not thin, just thinner than the Meze. The individual instruments sound further apart on the E3, which is cool and trippy, but that sometimes causes the whole presentation to seem a little disconnected. E3 is also tough on bad, digital recordings, but marvelous on good ones.

Liric 2 is great for low volume listening (like I do in bed at night w wife sleeping).

My heart says Liric 2 but my head says E3.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #1,457 of 1,493
I have the Liric 2 and the E3. They are both excellent. Hard to choose a better. The Liric 2 is fuller and fatter but manages to have alot of detail with shiny transient highs and a good amount of space. Vocals sound real. The instruments layer better on the Liric 2, so that I can hear them separately but they sound naturally connected to one another. This is the best feature of these phones- how everything comes together so naturally and fully with each vocal and instrument still being distinct.

Bass on both phones is very well defined, but less prominent on the E3. There's a bass thump on the Liric 2 that is fun. Feeling the kick drum thump while hearing the cymbals decay out is a blast on the Liric 2.

E3 obviously needs more power, but extra power brings both phones to their fullest potential. Using a Ragnarok 2 and a Q7 to drive each.

The E3 has a wider stage, but can be thinner sounding with less lower bass. Not thin, just thinner than the Meze. The individual instruments sound further apart on the E3, which is cool and trippy, but that sometimes causes the whole presentation to seem a little disconnected. E3 is also tough on bad, digital recordings, but marvelous on good ones.

Liric 2 is great for low volume listening (like I do in bed at night w wife sleeping).

My heart says Liric 2 but my head says E3.
Very nice review and comparison! I will try both headphones next week, but my mind and heart lean toward the Liric.

I’m looking for a high-quality closed-back headphone that is portable and easy to drive with a USB dongle. It’s great to know that both headphones are considered top-tier in the closed-back category. However, opinions vary: while some, like Resolve or DMS, are super critical of the Liric 2, others claim it’s the best in class.

Now, let me ask you: Do you find the bass in the Liric 2 too pronounced or bloated in certain songs? I ask because excessive bass was a problematic characteristic of the Meze 99 Classics, and I had to wear a baseball hat to reduce the seal and tame some of that uncontrolled bass.

Apr 6, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #1,458 of 1,493
Very nice review and comparison! I will try both headphones next week, but my mind and heart lean toward the Liric.

I’m looking for a high-quality closed-back headphone that is portable and easy to drive with a USB dongle. It’s great to know that both headphones are considered top-tier in the closed-back category. However, opinions vary: while some, like Resolve or DMS, are super critical of the Liric 2, others claim it’s the best in class.

Now, let me ask you: Do you find the bass in the Liric 2 too pronounced or bloated in certain songs? I ask because excessive bass was a problematic characteristic of the Meze 99 Classics, and I had to wear a baseball hat to reduce the seal and tame some of that uncontrolled bass.
The bass on the 99s is different altogether. Much less defined, much boomier. It kind of eats up the other registers. Liric 2 is infinitely more refined in the bass and everywhere else.

I found the Liric 1 to be much closed to the 99s. The Liric 2 spaces everything out and cleans everything up much better than the Liric 1 and is on a different planet than the 99s in this and every regard.

Apr 6, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #1,459 of 1,493
The bass on the 99s is different altogether. Much less defined, much boomier. It kind of eats up the other registers. Liric 2 is infinitely more refined in the bass and everywhere else.

I found the Liric 1 to be much closed to the 99s. The Liric 2 spaces everything out and cleans everything up much better than the Liric 1 and is on a different planet than the 99s in this and every regard.
Your words are like music to my ears. In the past, I was tempted to buy the original Liric, but I felt exactly the same way. I’m so glad that Meze has addressed the main issues of the original and created such a beautiful and good-sounding headphone.

Next week, I’ll be trying out the Liric II and the E3, and then I’ll make a decision. It’s time to bid farewell to my beloved 99 Classics and step up to the major leagues when I need isolation. By the way, have you ever listened to the 109 Pro? It’s currently my primary headphone, and I’m looking for something closed-back with the same or even better quality. I hope the Liric 2 will meet my expectations.

Apr 6, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #1,460 of 1,493
Your words are like music to my ears. In the past, I was tempted to buy the original Liric, but I felt exactly the same way. I’m so glad that Meze has addressed the main issues of the original and created such a beautiful and good-sounding headphone.

Next week, I’ll be trying out the Liric II and the E3, and then I’ll make a decision. It’s time to bid farewell to my beloved 99 Classics and step up to the major leagues when I need isolation. By the way, have you ever listened to the 109 Pro? It’s currently my primary headphone, and I’m looking for something closed-back with the same or even better quality. I hope the Liric 2 will meet my expectations.
For me, the Liric 2 is the best of the bunch, followed by the 109 Pro, then Liric then 99. The Liric 2 is, again, closest to the 109 Pro, but again more refined with a more natural timbre and presence.

As the days go by, I become more inclined to sell the E3 and keep the Liric 2.

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:21 AM Post #1,461 of 1,493
For me, the Liric 2 is the best of the bunch, followed by the 109 Pro, then Liric then 99. The Liric 2 is, again, closest to the 109 Pro, but again more refined with a more natural timbre and presence.

As the days go by, I become more inclined to sell the E3 and keep the Liric 2.
Hey, got another question!

So, most reviews say that the metal plate QWRM works well and the high frequencies are smooth and controlled, without any harshness across the spectrum, respect the Liric 1 (one of the reasons I perceive the Liric 1 as having an unrealistic presentation). But a few folks, like Resolve and DMS, claim that too much airiness takes away from the natural sound and makes it less enjoyable.

Now, I checked out Acho Reviews analysis, and he found that the frequency curve is similar to the Meze 109 Pro in this regard.

Meze%20Liric%202%20vs%20Meze%20109%20Pro%20mounted.jpg

I really love the 109 Pro – those high-frequency quirks don’t bother me at all. They’re there, but they feel natural and not annoying at moderate volumes. Now, my burning question: Are the Liric 2 headphones the same in this aspect? Which one has more bite in the high frequencies – the 109 Pro or the Liric 2?

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:37 AM Post #1,462 of 1,493
Hey, got another question!

So, most reviews say that the metal plate QWRM works well and the high frequencies are smooth and controlled, without any harshness across the spectrum, respect the Liric 1 (one of the reasons I perceive the Liric 1 as having an unrealistic presentation). But a few folks, like Resolve and DMS, claim that too much airiness takes away from the natural sound and makes it less enjoyable.

Now, I checked out Acho Reviews analysis, and he found that the frequency curve is similar to the Meze 109 Pro in this regard.

Meze%20Liric%202%20vs%20Meze%20109%20Pro%20mounted.jpg

I really love the 109 Pro – those high-frequency quirks don’t bother me at all. They’re there, but they feel natural and not annoying at moderate volumes. Now, my burning question: Are the Liric 2 headphones the same in this aspect? Which one has more bite in the high frequencies – the 109 Pro or the Liric 2?
From memory and not from an A/B test, I'd say the 109 has more bite in the treble

Apr 8, 2024 at 5:49 AM Post #1,463 of 1,493
From memory and not from an A/B test, I'd say the 109 has more bite in the treble
It’s quite puzzling to me. When I read the reviews by Resolve and DMS, they seem to be on a different wavelength than the rest of reviewers. Most other reviewers talk about the Liric 2’s relaxed and non-piercing highs, and even the frequency graphs show similarities to other premium Hifiman headphones or Meze models that are thah way. Sure, there’s some airiness, but I don’t think it’s a deal-breaker for most people… unless you happen to be Resolve or DMS with those ultra-sensitive hipster ears and supercritic with some brands.

Apr 8, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #1,467 of 1,493
Personally speaking I don't hear any sibilance from the liric 1 either. Could be my audio chain too. I'm currently running them from an xduo ta-22 with nos mullard tubes, aftermarket 4.4 balanced occ copper cables ,and let me tell you it sounds absolutely amazing 🤩🤩. So I guess I'll just leave it there. I'm very happy with my liric 1s personally speaking. I might eventually demo the liric 2 if I can find somewhere close that has them..... But for now I'm pretty satisfied.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #1,468 of 1,493
It’s interesting that Meze didn’t send the headphones to the two reviewers who appreciated the first version the most: Z-Reviews and Passion of Sound (edit: also Darko Audio too, from I remember). Instead, they sent the second version to some reviewers who weren’t fans of the original Liric, such as Wave Theory XD It seems Meze is quite confident in the updates, and I believe that the more you loved the Liric 1, the less likely you are to be impressed by the Liric 2 sound… Or maybe it’s just a coincidence that doesn’t really matter.

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 3:45 PM Post #1,469 of 1,493
I believe that the more you loved the Liric 1, the less likely you are to be impressed by the Liric 2 sound…
This is the way I am playing it. I own two pairs of Liric 1 (home and office pairs) and am going to doubt the sound of the Liric 2 would be worth shelling out that much more cash for. I really like the idea of magnetic pads, but I can be happy with what I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 10, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #1,470 of 1,493
It’s interesting that Meze didn’t send the headphones to the two reviewers who appreciated the first version the most: Z-Reviews and Passion of Sound (edit: also Darko Audio too, from I remember). Instead, they sent the second version to some reviewers who weren’t fans of the original Liric, such as Wave Theory XD It seems Meze is quite confident in the updates, and I believe that the more you loved the Liric 1, the less likely you are to be impressed by the Liric 2 sound… Or maybe it’s just a coincidence that doesn’t really matter.

It makes logical sense to send V2 to the people who disliked V1. It's a bit of a gamble though if they don't like V2 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back