Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Apr 12, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,471 of 1,492
I love them, a very powerful and quality sound… I was afraid that their low frequencies would be stronger and muddle the sound, but not at all, perfectly balanced. The mids and vocals are very realistic and pleasant to listen to. The high frequencies have a bit of artificiality (especially the metallic instruments) but only slightly and it’s not annoying or very sharp, reminds me of the HifiMan Highs, not bad at all but present. Meze has created a very good product, sonically, aesthetically beautiful and comfortable. Bravo.

P.S: I am very sensitive to high frequencies and I listen without problems up to 17KHz and what Resolve or DMS have said is simply a lie. They are not sharp at all. They may not be the most natural cymbals and hi-hats on the market but they are not bad at all and also, there are no problems of seal with glasses, or at least in my case.
Liric 2.jpg

Apr 17, 2024 at 11:00 AM Post #1,473 of 1,492
can someone compare the Audeze MM-500 with the Liric MK1? I know they are open and closed, i'm talking about which has the better bass/detail, etc. surely atleast a few people here have heard em both
That's pretty easy tbh the liric mk1 is far better in every way imo not as shouty or even close.The bass response specifically is much better quality, and quantity. The mids are a little more recessed but pushed forward a little. And the treble to my ears is very good. To put it short they are not even similar.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:08 PM Post #1,476 of 1,492
It makes logical sense to send V2 to the people who disliked V1. It's a bit of a gamble though if they don't like V2 as well.
The Liric 2 fixed the midrange issues of the V1. But the main issue is that the 15-18khz ish peak is now absolutely enormous.
Younger listeners in particular are likely to have some fairly strong objections to the Liric 2.

Unfortunately I just couldn't listen to them at any reasonable level for long at all

Apr 22, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #1,477 of 1,492
The Liric 2 fixed the midrange issues of the V1. But the main issue is that the 15-18khz ish peak is now absolutely enormous.
Younger listeners in particular are likely to have some fairly strong objections to the Liric 2.

Unfortunately I just couldn't listen to them at any reasonable level for long at all
I had a chance to demo the v2 side by side with the v1 last week and I don't like the v2 at all as you said the treble is way too hot.... I'm not young by any stretch and it really bothered me as well .

Apr 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #1,478 of 1,492

I was thinking about whether I should respond or not, and in the end, I decided to do so, I have time while listen to the Liric 2 :). I will try to be polite and only talk about facts, leaving speculations and assumptions aside.

About the reviews.

Let’s go with them, I will try to summarize whether they like it or not and a fun detail:

I’m going to seem like a BOT from here to make it more humorous :) :)

Resolve: For him, the headphones have piercing highs and he doesn’t like them. Member of Headphones.com

DMS: For him, the headphones have piercing highs and he doesn’t like them. Member of Headphones.com

Golden Sound: For him, the headphones have piercing highs and he doesn’t like them. Member of Headphones.com

… 3 out of 3… curious, let’s continue with the reviews:

Soundnews: He loves the headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

Currawong: He likes the headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

Tylerseclectic: He likes them although it’s not his favorite profile for the music he listens to. Not a member of Headphones.com

Headphonia: He likes them a lot. Not a member of Headphones.com

MIND THE HEADPHONE: One of the best headphones created. Not a member of Headphones.com

Headphonics: He likes them a lot. Not a member of Headphones.com

Skeeb23: He doesn’t like them because he has placement issues. Not a member of Headphones.com

Achoreviews: Considers them to be the best closed-back headphones on the market. Not a member of Headphones.com

The Techne: He loves the headphones. Not a member of headphones.com

Joshua Valour: He quite likes them although they are not perfect. Not a direct member (I think) of Headphones.com

Moon Audio: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

New Record Day: He likes them a lot. Not a member of Headphones.com

Gadgetrytech: He likes them but has reservations about some aspects. Not a member of Headphones.com

Listen Up: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

The Source Audio Video Design Group: He loves these headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

MajorHifi: He loves these headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

Bloom Audio: He loves them. Not a member of headphones.com

Wave theory: He loves them. Not a member of headphones.com

The Honest Audiophile: He doesn’t like them at all, it’s not his profile. Not a member of Headphones.com

The Absolute Sound: They are some of the best headphones created. Not a member of Headphones.com

Major Hifi: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

Audio46: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

Any curious pattern? 20 non-members of Headphones.com who like or love these headphones, plus one who has placement issues and loses low frequencies and another who it’s not his profile at all.

Statistically, you have a 90% chance of liking them if you are not from headphones.com and 0% if you are a member of this team.

These are fun facts.

Greetings from Spain.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #1,480 of 1,492
I was thinking about whether I should respond or not, and in the end, I decided to do so, I have time while listen to the Liric 2 :). I will try to be polite and only talk about facts, leaving speculations and assumptions aside.

About the reviews.

Let’s go with them, I will try to summarize whether they like it or not and a fun detail:

I’m going to seem like a BOT from here to make it more humorous :) :)

Resolve: For him, the headphones have piercing highs and he doesn’t like them. Member of Headphones.com

DMS: For him, the headphones have piercing highs and he doesn’t like them. Member of Headphones.com

Golden Sound: For him, the headphones have piercing highs and he doesn’t like them. Member of Headphones.com

… 3 out of 3… curious, let’s continue with the reviews:

Soundnews: He loves the headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

Currawong: He likes the headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

Tylerseclectic: He likes them although it’s not his favorite profile for the music he listens to. Not a member of Headphones.com

Headphonia: He likes them a lot. Not a member of Headphones.com

MIND THE HEADPHONE: One of the best headphones created. Not a member of Headphones.com

Headphonics: He likes them a lot. Not a member of Headphones.com

Skeeb23: He doesn’t like them because he has placement issues. Not a member of Headphones.com

Achoreviews: Considers them to be the best closed-back headphones on the market. Not a member of Headphones.com

The Techne: He loves the headphones. Not a member of headphones.com

Joshua Valour: He quite likes them although they are not perfect. Not a direct member (I think) of Headphones.com

Moon Audio: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

New Record Day: He likes them a lot. Not a member of Headphones.com

Gadgetrytech: He likes them but has reservations about some aspects. Not a member of Headphones.com

Listen Up: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

The Source Audio Video Design Group: He loves these headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

MajorHifi: He loves these headphones. Not a member of Headphones.com

Bloom Audio: He loves them. Not a member of headphones.com

Wave theory: He loves them. Not a member of headphones.com

The Honest Audiophile: He doesn’t like them at all, it’s not his profile. Not a member of Headphones.com

The Absolute Sound: They are some of the best headphones created. Not a member of Headphones.com

Major Hifi: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

Audio46: He loves them. Not a member of Headphones.com

Any curious pattern? 20 non-members of Headphones.com who like or love these headphones, plus one who has placement issues and loses low frequencies and another who it’s not his profile at all.

Statistically, you have a 90% chance of liking them if you are not from headphones.com and 0% if you are a member of this team.

These are fun facts.

Greetings from Spain.

Probably worth noting, Headphones.com sells the Liric 2 https://headphones.com/products/meze-audio-liric-ii-headphones?_pos=1&_psq=liric&_ss=e&_v=1.0

If being with headphones.com had an influence (which it doesn't), it'd be odd for us to be influenced to then say you shouldn't buy it.

I think the more likely answer is simply that DMS, Resolve and myself are some of the younger people on that list, and so the upper treble peak is much more likely to be an issue.

Here's a comparison FR of the Liric 1 vs 2:

1713897669085.png

The 10khz peak is much lower now, but there's a much larger 15-18khz ish peak (nearly 10dB!), which was the main issue for me.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #1,481 of 1,492
Probably worth noting, Headphones.com sells the Liric 2 https://headphones.com/products/meze-audio-liric-ii-headphones?_pos=1&_psq=liric&_ss=e&_v=1.0

If being with headphones.com had an influence (which it doesn't), it'd be odd for us to be influenced to then say you shouldn't buy it.

I think the more likely answer is simply that DMS, Resolve and myself are some of the younger people on that list, and so the upper treble peak is much more likely to be an issue.

Here's a comparison FR of the Liric 1 vs 2:

1713897669085.png

The 10khz peak is much lower now, but there's a much larger 15-18khz ish peak (nearly 10dB!), which was the main issue for me.
I respect your opinion and I don’t want to sound rude or anything, so first of all, please accept my apologies if something is off in my message because English is not my mother tongue.

The ‘air’ situation above 15 kHz is very common in Hifiman Headphones like the Arya Organic or HE-1000SE, which have received a lot of good reviews, as you know. I never see you or your colleagues enter the Arya topic to say ‘Careful, young listeners! The air is coming, and it’s coming for us all.’ :) These headphones are addressed to people aged 30+ or more who statistically don’t even hear above these frequencies… 18 kHz is even hard for my 7-year-old daughter to hear.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #1,482 of 1,492
I respect your opinion and I don’t want to sound rude or anything, so first of all, please accept my apologies if something is off in my message because English is not my mother tongue.

The ‘air’ situation above 15 kHz is very common in Hifiman Headphones like the Arya Organic or HE-1000SE, which have received a lot of good reviews, as you know. I never see you or your colleagues enter the Arya topic to say ‘Careful, young listeners! The air is coming, and it’s coming for us all.’ :) These headphones are addressed to people aged 30+ or more who statistically don’t even hear above these frequencies… 18 kHz is even hard for my 7-year-old daughter to hear.
I also find the Arya Organic upper treble troublesome. (Though oddly the very first unit I tried at Munich a while ago when it first launched I didn't, it was only in the ones I've tried at CanJams etc since then so idk what's up there).

To the broader point though, I am a fan of having some slightly elevated upper treble, and headphones that lack this such as the DCA Stealth for example I've had issues with not enough upper treble 'air' there. But there is a distinct difference between having a bit of upper treble air and an enormous peak.

Here's a Sundara 2023 for example vs the Liric 2

1713900061130.png

But also even on the Arya Organic the upper treble peak is still about 3dB lower (though still too much IMO)

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #1,483 of 1,492
I also find the Arya Organic upper treble troublesome. (Though oddly the very first unit I tried at Munich a while ago when it first launched I didn't, it was only in the ones I've tried at CanJams etc since then so idk what's up there).

To the broader point though, I am a fan of having some slightly elevated upper treble, and headphones that lack this such as the DCA Stealth for example I've had issues with not enough upper treble 'air' there. But there is a distinct difference between having a bit of upper treble air and an enormous peak.

Here's a Sundara 2023 for example vs the Liric 2

1713900061130.png

But also even on the Arya Organic the upper treble peak is still about 3dB lower (though still too much IMO)
Thank you for your response.

I don’t want to waste your time; I think you’ve made your point. Only notice that to me, this situation is very weird, the only three reviewers who notice this are from the same site. Maybe a faulty unit?

Anyway, If someone is wondering what we’re talking about here, you can visit the Online Tone Generator page and listen (or not) to these ‘problematic’ frequencies above 15 kHz… Try it and consider how these subtle sounds may or may not affect your listening experience.

https://onlinetonegenerator.com/

I’m 44 years old and I can barely listen to 16kHz, which is really remarkable for my age, and this peak in the Liric 2 doesn’t disturb me at all.

Out of curiosity, @GoldenSound, how old are you and up to what frequency can you hear?"

Apr 23, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,484 of 1,492
Maybe a faulty unit?
We all had separate units. Also I believe Koji from ConvinceMeAudio shares the same issues as I had but his vid isn't out yet.

Out of curiosity, @GoldenSound, how old are you and up to what frequency can you hear?"
I'm 25, my hearing currently goes up to about 21khz as I learned this week which was surprising.

If your hearing goes upto about 16k then you probably won't have an issue with the peak, as mentioned earlier age is definitely going to be a factor here as to whether these are suitable or not.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #1,485 of 1,492
We all had separate units. Also I believe Koji from ConvinceMeAudio shares the same issues as I had but his vid isn't out yet.

I'm 25, my hearing currently goes up to about 21khz as I learned this week which was surprising
Wow, your hearing is above the 20 Hz-20 kHz limit of the average human. Congrats!

I’m not joking; this is remarkable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back