Meze Audio LIRIC - The portable isodynamic hybrid array headphone
Mar 8, 2024 at 8:46 AM Post #1,411 of 1,492
How do people who enjoy the Liric 1 sound feel about so much focus on 'warmth' in the marketing of the Liric 2?

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #1,412 of 1,492
How do people who enjoy the Liric 1 sound feel about so much focus on 'warmth' in the marketing?
Quite good, that could mean that Liric II is much closer to the dream of a closed Elite.

However I do keep the Liric, and will be able to enjoy both signatures

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #1,413 of 1,492

Resolve and DMS dropped their review and it's pretty mixed (although personally this doesn't affect my expectations much as my views often don't align with theirs).

Side note: DMS complains about issues with comfort as his glasses break the seal and affect the bass - found this a bit of an odd thing to point out as it'd surely be an issue with tonnes of headphones and is inherently subjective/personal so barely worth raising, but hey...

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #1,414 of 1,492
Resolve and DMS dropped their review and it's pretty mixed (although personally this doesn't affect my expectations much as my views often don't align with theirs).

Side note: DMS complains about issues with comfort as his glasses break the seal and affect the bass - found this a bit of an odd thing to point out as it'd surely be an issue with tonnes of headphones and is inherently subjective/personal so barely worth raising, but hey...
I'd say it's not mixed at all. They both personally don't recommend the headphone. I think it's going to be another polarizing Meze headphone like the OG Empyrean where some people really enjoy it and others hate it.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,415 of 1,492
Yea I also saw that review and I often disagree with dms alot. Resolve I think has a better take on things as tries to remain more objective than subjective. Which I like even if I don't agree with all of his opinions I respect his objective approach. Anyway different perspectives are good htrf and pinna gain as well as ear canal shape, depth etc all impact our perception of sound. So using the fr graphs I can tell a little bit about how they will sound to me.

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #1,416 of 1,492
I'd say it's not mixed at all. They both personally don't recommend the headphone. I think it's going to be another polarizing Meze headphone like the OG Empyrean where some people really enjoy it and others hate it.
If both don't like it, it's probably back to the old House sound and a huge winner

Mar 8, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #1,417 of 1,492
If both don't like it, it's probably back to the old House sound and a huge winner
Yeah. I'm not disagreeing one way or another as I have to use my own judgement with any purchase decision. Especially since this is a $2000 investment and the market right now for that price bracket is absolutely stacked with great headphones.

I owned the Liric for a couple months and ultimately sold it. I owned the Empyrean twice and sold both so I'm not holding my breath that it'll be for me but I'm still excited to audition the Liric II once my local rep gets some stock.

Mar 8, 2024 at 4:07 PM Post #1,419 of 1,492

I have the same issue with mine. Since I barely feel any clamp force, the glasses break the seal. I’ve adjusted them many times and still can’t manage to get a good seal.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #1,420 of 1,492
I had the opportunity to try the Líric 2 at 46 audio in NY today. I did not have any portable dac/amp with me so they gave me a questyle dongle directly from my iPhone so not super amped or anything. To my surprise quite good. Very clear and good strong bass. I had them for 5 minutes on my head so no major demo just a quick try. At the same time I had next to me the 109 pro, I know quite different and in a different league on itself but the liric just sounded fun, something I would grab to listen everyday. I did not like the 109 at all once I tried the liric. I also tested the Dan Clark E3, very similar to my ears , the e3 was powered with a mojo2 . Dank Clark sounded more clean and crisp. But again I am speaking of 5 min listen to each.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #1,421 of 1,492
My Liric 1 has very good synergy with the WM1ZM2, so I am a little worried about the Liric 2 ending up too warm with it. But then, it might finally sound good on the 320 Max TI hmmm...

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #1,422 of 1,492
I can see how people may have mixed opinions about them. Here's my take on them:

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #1,423 of 1,492
I can see how people may have mixed opinions about them. Here's my take on them:

Very good review, also your review sample has one of the nicest woods I've seen of the Liric II so far.

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:01 PM Post #1,424 of 1,492

Very thoughtful and thorough review sir... I really appreciate your honesty and detailed information. Although I somewhat disagree with the opinion of the e3. I never was able to get them to sound fun or anything but boring and clinical regardless of how much power I threw at them.i tried a lot of different amps, dacs also It's very likely a result of my htrf and pinna related function that changes how they sound to me. Anyway thanks for the review.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #1,425 of 1,492
I had the opportunity to try the Líric 2 at 46 audio in NY today. I did not have any portable dac/amp with me so they gave me a questyle dongle directly from my iPhone so not super amped or anything. To my surprise quite good. Very clear and good strong bass. I had them for 5 minutes on my head so no major demo just a quick try. At the same time I had next to me the 109 pro, I know quite different and in a different league on itself but the liric just sounded fun, something I would grab to listen everyday. I did not like the 109 at all once I tried the liric. I also tested the Dan Clark E3, very similar to my ears , the e3 was powered with a mojo2 . Dank Clark sounded more clean and crisp. But again I am speaking of 5 min listen to each.
I had the chance to try today at CanJam both the liric 1 and 2 at the same time. I liked more the liric 1 . The reason is I like more forward mids. And to me the liric 2 sounds more recessed. Not bad in any way but I will go for the 1. Meze confirmed that to me, if demoed by themselves it might not be noticeable but if you A/B them it si quite noticeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back