MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 30, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #3,136 of 5,675
I personally don't believe in burn in either, it happens between your ears in my opinion. Most of my stuff is second hand and still I tend to get the most out of those in a week or so. I have new meze elite, and brain burn in has already had an affect in a day.
while a friend of mine followed the constructions of doing burn-in for his mdr-z1r, i just started with the burn-in of my meze elite.

i am able to listen to music just 1-2 per week. so i had to decide to keep one open-back or closed-back headphone. i decided to sell my mdr-z1r (to a headfier colleague) as i just like the open-back sound. if i had more time, i would keep both. but as long as i have very limited time and have to choose 1 option, i go with open-back headphones.

happy to start the journey with the meze elite :)

Sep 30, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #3,137 of 5,675
happy to start the journey with the meze elite :)
You couldn't possibly get a better start and option for your needs. Hopefully you will have at least as much joy as I had in the last 9-10 months.

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #3,138 of 5,675
Okay guys, I finally had the chance to spend a little under an hour listening to the Elite's non-stop with fresh ears. I actually like them a lot, MUCH more than when I had tested them a couple weeks ago. They are extremely comfortable and have a pleasing, laid-back tuning that still provides plenty of resolution, but doesn't push that resolution to your face like many other headphones do (specifically other TOTLs).

However, as much as I enjoyed them, I just can't see myself spending $4k for them given what I feel is still subpar technical performance for the price. I think the soundstage/imaging and timbre are definitely TOTL quality, but every other aspect isn't, unfortunately. But with that being said, if there was one TOTL headphone that I'd have to own, it would be these as I think these provide the best balance in terms of performance, comfort, and reliability/support when it comes to Meze. I just feel like these lack that last bit of clarity that I'd want from high-end cans for me to justify the purchase (which I'm sure is also due to how Meze wanted these tuned).

But I definitely see why so many of you love these headphones, everything just sounds so pleasant and relaxing on them.
". I just feel like these lack that last bit of clarity that I'd want from high-end cans for me to justify the purchase (which I'm sure is also due to how Meze wanted these tuned)."

May I ask what headphones give you the clarity that the Elite cannot?

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #3,139 of 5,675
done... with reading... the 210 pages in one session.

thanks to all people contributing to this wonderful forum and hobby.

after waiting 3 weeks, i finally got my meze elite. while doing the burn-in, i read your comments, took my notes, created a meze elite playlist on tidal and enjoyed listening to good music.

thank you headfiers.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #3,140 of 5,675
Welcome. Enjoy your Chameleon Edition Elites... they look as well as sound stunning!!!

Sep 30, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #3,141 of 5,675

after waiting 3 weeks, i finally got my meze elite. while doing the burn-in, i read your comments, took my notes, created a meze elite playlist on tidal and enjoyed listening to good music.

thank you headfiers.
You got the Chameleons? I'm so jealous.

I hope you keep the Elites. It would have been a shame to go through all those pages just to sell them. 😂 Sorry. Had to say it. Lol.

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #3,142 of 5,675

thank you headfiers.
...and where is this playlist you speak of??? Post that link and let others share in your enjoyment!

Sep 30, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #3,143 of 5,675
Sep 30, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #3,144 of 5,675
". I just feel like these lack that last bit of clarity that I'd want from high-end cans for me to justify the purchase (which I'm sure is also due to how Meze wanted these tuned)."

May I ask what headphones give you the clarity that the Elite cannot?

Absolutely. Quite a few honestly. The LCD-5's, the D8000 Pro that I tested, the Utopias, the HE100se, and even the HD 800s that I currently own. Now, that's not to say the the Elites aren't resolving, they are. It's more so to say that I think because of the tuning Meze uses, when I'm mixing/making music, I feel like it'd be hard for me to accurately assess the sounds I'm hearing (if that makes sense).

Maybe I'd just need to spend more time with it, but I just feel like if I do purchase these, I'd still need a dedicated headphone to complement it when I do want to do music production. That's what I meant by that sentence. With that being said, I'm actually leaning toward wanting to purchase these (perhaps if I can find one on the used market). I'm going to go back to the shop in a week or two to do some more listening with the Elites, but these could very well be my end game open back. The only aspect that it fails for me is in what I described above, but at the same time I'd consider either keeping my HD 800s purely for mixing/gaming or looking to buy a Beyerdynamic headphone and using that instead.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #3,145 of 5,675
Absolutely. Quite a few honestly. The LCD-5's, the D8000 Pro that I tested, the Utopias, the HE100se, and even the HD 800s that I currently own. Now, that's not to say the the Elites aren't resolving, they are. It's more so to say that I think because of the tuning Meze uses, when I'm mixing/making music, I feel like it'd be hard for me to accurately assess the sounds I'm hearing (if that makes sense).

Maybe I'd just need to spend more time with it, but I just feel like if I do purchase these, I'd still need a dedicated headphone to complement it when I do want to do music production. That's what I meant by that sentence. With that being said, I'm actually leaning toward wanting to purchase these (perhaps if I can find one on the used market). I'm going to go back to the shop in a week or two to do some more listening with the Elites, but these could very well be my end game open back. The only aspect that it fails for me is in what I described above, but at the same time I'd consider either keeping my HD 800s purely for mixing/gaming or looking to buy a Beyerdynamic headphone and using that instead.
Keep the HD800 for mixing would be my advice.

I am currently listening to music through youtube video clips. Not exactly the best quality and some of it is also pretty average in production. But man the Elites still make it sound good. I just get lost in the music and this is what I love about the Elites. Any more resolution or boosted upper mids or treble and the poorly produced tracks would suffer.

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #3,146 of 5,675
Keep the HD800 for mixing would be my advice.

I am currently listening to music through youtube video clips. Not exactly the best quality and some of it is also pretty average in production. But man the Elites still make it sound good. I just get lost in the music and this is what I love about the Elites. Any more resolution or boosted upper mids or treble and the poorly produced tracks would suffer.
Very good point. That's the one downside of using highly resolving cans; it really exposes poorly mixed/mastered recording. The HD 800s and the LCD 5's may be the worst offenders of this (that I've had a long time with at least). It's brutal in it's honesty lol.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #3,147 of 5,675
the 800s arent as detailed as more recent TOTL HP's

Sep 30, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #3,148 of 5,675
the 800s arent as detailed as more recent TOTL HP's
I disagree to a degree. I think they're 90-95% as resolving as other TOTLs. That's one of the reasons as I wasn't as sad when I had to sell my LCD-5's as they aren't too fall behind in that regard. Part of it too is that because the soundstage on the HD 800s is so large, sometimes it makes it harder to hear those microdetails that are more easily discernible on other TOTL headphones as the sounds aren't as in your face (if that makes sense). But those are just my impressions at least :ksc75smile:.

Oct 1, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #3,149 of 5,675
I just feel like these lack that last bit of clarity that I'd want from high-end cans for me to justify the purchase

While I don’t think a cable can transform a headphone, I’m busy testing a Lavri cable on my Elite (coming from stock and then a Forza Noir Hybrid) and must say I’m quite impressed, in particular from the aspect of clarity and resolution.

It seems to be eeking out a little more detail and refinement. Does so in an elegant, layered manner. And yet still beautifully smooth. There’s a greater sense of stage - a little in width but mostly in depth. There are nuances and spatial effects that are more discernible and tangible elements of the soundscape.

Vocals in particular are quite special - clearer, purer, more space and breath around them, which results in the overall sound to be more holographic.

Oct 1, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #3,150 of 5,675
You got the Chameleons? I'm so jealous.

I hope you keep the Elites. It would have been a shame to go through all those pages just to sell them. 😂 Sorry. Had to say it. Lol.
yes, the chameleon. of course i keep them :) - imagine one reads all these pages just to sell them with loss... this would be an extreme highly engaged person who really wants to know what he is actually selling :-D

...and where is this playlist you speak of??? Post that link and let others share in your enjoyment!
see attachment.

@turbofeet thank you for sharing as well.

Attachments

• playlist.jpg
    playlist.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back