MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Oct 4, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #3,167 of 5,640
Awesome! The set i bot used was shipped yesterday, hoping they arrive within a week or so. With Toxic Cable pure silver in XLR termination, extremely anxious to hear how these perform and contrast with my 4z. Just beautiful headphones really.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #3,168 of 5,640
What amplifier are you guys using?

Oct 4, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #3,170 of 5,640
Okay, I've been listening to these for around an hour now and I think I'm done taking Youtube reviews seriously. There is no way these headphones are behind other TOTLs in performance. I cant' remember the other user who posted his comparisons in this thread, but these cans are easily at the same level as the LCD 5's. I almost feel like I'm listening to completely different headphones than some of the reviewers.

The soundstage on these are the best I've heard outside of the HD 800s and Aryas V2 (both of which I've owned). It's almost as if the HD 800s and Aryas had a fusion when it came to their soundstages. These aren't as wide as both, but man the imaging and depth on these are the best I've heard from any of the TOTLs I've had the pleasure to test (pretty much all but the Abyss and the Susvara). WAY better than the LCD in this aspect.

I'll probably post more impressions later, but I THINK I found my end game cans at this point. Also, these headphones are actually way more neutral than I would had thought initially. There is a nice little boost in the bass, but it's actually tuned similarly to the LCD 5's to a degree. I definitely think I'll be able to mix on these without any issue once I spend more time with the cans.

Edit: Also, these may be first cans I've owned that I probably won't end up EQ'ing. These are tuned damn near perfect.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #3,171 of 5,640
Cables can be taboo for some people. On a headphone like the Elites they absolutely let you hear what frequencies are being altered or enhanced. You really can fine tune the sound of the Elites to your liking with your choice of cable.
So what is the consensus as far as recommended cables (types) for the Elites? Say pure silver for all ranges from bass boost / clarity thru to treble airiness / sparkliness? Or big fat copper for same etc.?

Oct 5, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #3,172 of 5,640
Sorry, but I'm starting to get a bit frustrated as I keep listening to these cans. There was one reviewer I saw (won't mention names) that said the Stellia had more resolution than the Elites... I own the Stellia and did some A/B testing and there is no way in hell the Stellias are better technically than the Elites. Unbelievable 🤣

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #3,173 of 5,640
Sorry, but I'm starting to get a bit frustrated as I keep listening to these cans. There was one reviewer I saw (won't mention names) that said the Stellia had more resolution than the Elites... I own the Stellia and did some A/B testing and there is no way in hell the Stellias are better technically than the Elites. Unbelievable 🤣
The Stellia lacked bass and impact IMO and I really didn't like them for that reason. The detail and soundstage was excellent on them but the Elites matched them or are even better.

Glad you're enjoying them, they are the best i've heard as well.

I EQ them on the Bartok as the headphone out can be a little boring at times. A bit too neutral. I do not EQ them from any other source - they just don't need it.

They also scale very well. I listened with the Feliks Envy recently (mine will be delivered Tomorrow!) and they were absolutely incredible. It took them to another level. I was completely blown away...again.

I auditioned alongside the Susvaras which they had there as well. They are great headphones too but (as another user suggested) - I couldn't really hear anything the Susvara did better. There may have been a little more detail but the difference was negligible and low end was lacking on the Susvara as well for me. On the Elites it was incredible.

Love these headphones.

Oct 5, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #3,174 of 5,640
"I EQ them on the Bartok as the headphone out can be a little boring at times. A bit too neutral. I do not EQ them from any other source - they just don't need it."

@turbofeet I continued with the EQ I linked to a little earlier in the thread. I still like it but as you mentioned, very happy with no EQ as well. Using all the 10 filters I've found the Elites soundstage / imaging is clearer still and the sub bass is very good. It's great listening to EDM, Techno and anything that has great soundstage, imaging effects. However, I prefer the Elites with no EQ when in comes to some female vocals. I found the original 10 filters sounds a bit better for vocals when you dial down the gain in the upper mids, treble regions to about 50% of the gain.

It's a bit like having two sets of headphones so I'm glad I went to the effort of creating the filters in Roon which is quick and easy to change.

Next week I should receive Cayin's HA-3A for my office setup. Looking forward to seeing how the Elites pair with that as I've seen some very positive feedback with that pairing.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:02 AM Post #3,175 of 5,640
"I EQ them on the Bartok as the headphone out can be a little boring at times. A bit too neutral. I do not EQ them from any other source - they just don't need it."

@turbofeet I continued with the EQ I linked to a little earlier in the thread. I still like it but as you mentioned, very happy with no EQ as well. Using all the 10 filters I've found the Elites soundstage / imaging is clearer still and the sub bass is very good. It's great listening to EDM, Techno and anything that has great soundstage, imaging effects. However, I prefer the Elites with no EQ when in comes to some female vocals. I found the original 10 filters sounds a bit better for vocals when you dial down the gain in the upper mids, treble regions to about 50% of the gain.

It's a bit like having two sets of headphones so I'm glad I went to the effort of creating the filters in Roon which is quick and easy to change.

Next week I should receive Cayin's HA-3A for my office setup. Looking forward to seeing how the Elites pair with that as I've seen some very positive feedback with that pairing.
Sounds great; they do seem to respond well to tubes.

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #3,176 of 5,640
So what is the consensus as far as recommended cables (types) for the Elites? Say pure silver for all ranges from bass boost / clarity thru to treble airiness / sparkliness? Or big fat copper for same etc.?
I combine both and use a big fat pure silver cable - Norne Silvergarde S4 8-wire
Some reviewers seem to have a personal vendetta against Meze or are simply deaf.

Empyrean and Elite Reviews made me stop taking a lot of channels serious

Oct 5, 2022 at 3:29 AM Post #3,177 of 5,640
In a week or two, I will share my comparison of a few high-end aftermarket cables (Lavricables Grand, Forza Noir, Forza Noir Hybrid, Meze upgrade, Arctic Cables) for Elite. I recently had a lot of cables and decided to re-terminate them all for Elites to pick one cable and stop thinking about it, finally :wink:
If you are patient, then wait for my post :D

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #3,178 of 5,640
I also had the Stellia and while they did some things nicely, they just aren't at the level of Elite. The fullness in the body, the richness in the midrange and overall coherency top to bottom of the Elite is astonishing, IMO. It's the complete package for me.

Oct 5, 2022 at 4:35 AM Post #3,179 of 5,640
Oct 5, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #3,180 of 5,640
I just use the Meze upgrade cable (silver coated copper). It’s already very very good and high quality. Lachlan raves about it (maybe a little too much). I’m not passionate about cables but I appreciate quality ones that sound better than stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back