MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:56 AM Post #3,106 of 5,675
If we are talking about comparisons, can somebody share their thoughts about Elite vs Verite Closed? and about having Elite AND Verite Closed (I like to have one open-back and one closed-back)? They would be most often plugged directly into TT2, maybe some OTL tube amp in the future, but I really like TT2 as a small desktop combo.
VC is my current goal to supplement Elite and Susvara. VC is the best closed back for me, compared to the orher popular and newly released ones (Liric, Stealth, Stellia, Radiance, etc). Plus amps that go well with Elites seem to also be great with VC

Sep 27, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #3,107 of 5,675
since i don't have any clue about "burn-in", how would you recommend it to someone who just bought a brand new meze elite?

gear: isotek evo3 premier cable, audioquest carbon usb cable, meze silver upgrade cable, sony taz, sony wm1z, and fiio m17.

personal listening time: 2 hours per week. but could be increase for burn-in with a stand.

music genre: r'n'b, soul, hip hop, pop, jazz, blues.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #3,108 of 5,675
since i don't have any clue about "burn-in", how would you recommend it to someone who just bought a brand new meze elite?

gear: isotek evo3 premier cable, audioquest carbon usb cable, meze silver upgrade cable, sony taz, sony wm1z, and fiio m17.

personal listening time: 2 hours per week. but could be increase for burn-in with a stand.

From my experience the Elite didn't change much with burn in and I would just "listen to them" normally without any separate burn in.

If you really wanted to you can play random music and lay them on the desk/stand whatever for several hours.

Sep 27, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #3,109 of 5,675

I personally don't believe in burn in either, it happens between your ears in my opinion. Most of my stuff is second hand and still I tend to get the most out of those in a week or so. I have new meze elite, and brain burn in has already had an affect in a day.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #3,110 of 5,675
I've been focused on the Expanse the past few days, but felt like comparing the OG Utopia (sent by mistake instead of the new ones) to the Meze Elites (which I'm now pretty familiar with and love). I was surprised to hear how similar they are in tonality. I'm listening to the new Khruangbin / Farka Toure album, going back and fourth. First, there's not much difference in the stage, they both throw out a great soundstage, crystal clear presentation of the air region and very 3-dimensional imaging of the stage. There is just a touch more midbass warmth on the Elites, which also calms the treble a bit on them. The Utopia is clearer in that region and the treble ends up being a little more crystal clear as a result. I think that leads to the Utopia sounding just a bit more snappy, zingy, the transients are sharper. The hi hats and other percussive hits have a bit more snap, but I can see this getting more fatiguing over the long term. They're both sounding pretty great.

EDIT: Ok I turned up the volume on the next track and the Utopia became a bit much very quickly at louder volume. On lower volume the top end sparkle adds liveliness, but at louder volume it can become a bit piercing compared to the Elite, which stay smooth on the top end at louder volume. I think the new 2022 one is supposed to tame this treble a bit, which in-turn will return a little more focus on the mids and bass, so it might end up sounding closer to the Elite, but with a more neutral midbass region.

Oh yea...at louder volume, there is no comparison for me. I'd take the Elite over the OG Utopia because it's just so much smoother and the midbass warmth is making it more punchy with this reggae type music. Loving the Elites for this album.
Totally digging on that Khruangbin, very cool almost reggae sound. Sweet. Thanks for the post. Can't wait to hear this on Elite with some sound staging going on.

Sep 27, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #3,111 of 5,675
@ra990 Same here, been listening to Khruangbin this afternoon, very good!

Tinariwen is another great band that falls under the Desert Blues & African Traditions genre. Love the start of the first track on their album Elwan. Great guitar riffs on most of their albums! Too many good albums to list them all. As bonus, soundstage and imaging sound incredible with the Elites!

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #3,113 of 5,675
Any Meze owners here also Kennerton owners? (Thror, Thekk, Wodan?) I have a Kennerton Thekk that I find pretty close in quality to the Elite.
Maybe @DarginMahkum can comment from his past experience?

Sep 27, 2022 at 2:39 PM Post #3,114 of 5,675
If we are talking about comparisons, can somebody share their thoughts about Elite vs Verite Closed? and about having Elite AND Verite Closed (I like to have one open-back and one closed-back)? They would be most often plugged directly into TT2, maybe some OTL tube amp in the future, but I really like TT2 as a small desktop combo.
Can't speak to the Elite/VC question. But I will say that the TT2 did a fine job driving my Elite.

While I preferred:

mScaler (coax out) ==> Audio-gd Master 11 (preamp out) ==> DSHA-3F ==> Elite

the differences were small. Just a bit more warmth/musicality from that chain vs straight out of TT2. I certainly could have been perfectly happy with the TT2 ==> Elite pairing.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:27 AM Post #3,115 of 5,675
What do folk carry them in?
I don't want to carry my Elites around in the aluminium case and prefer something a bit more rugged.
I carry my ZMF headphones in the Seahorse pelican case, which I love, and wondered about something similar and less showy than the original ALU briefcase. The Elites don't fit in the Seahorse one.
I cannot recall whether this has already been mentioned but this is a long thread to trawl through.

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:36 AM Post #3,116 of 5,675
What do folk carry them in?
I don't want to carry my Elites around in the aluminium case and prefer something a bit more rugged.
I carry my ZMF headphones in the Seahorse pelican case, which I love, and wondered about something similar and less showy than the original ALU briefcase. The Elites don't fit in the Seahorse one.
I cannot recall whether this has already been mentioned but this is a long thread to trawl through.
Hi
I use this which fits them quite well along with spare pads and cables.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084CRHYC3?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I use a piece of foam on top to keep them nice and snug.

Cheers

Sep 28, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #3,118 of 5,675
Hi
Like this:

20220512_184130.jpg

Of course it fits the Empyrean as well.

I use a small bag for the cables - especially if it's an XLR as this carries some weight.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #3,120 of 5,675
It was the one I linked just above:

"Geekria UltraShell Case for Large Sized Over-Ear Headphones, Replacement Protective Hard Shell"

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back