MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 25, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #3,076 of 5,647
The soundstage is definitely smaller than all my other headphones. Would have to confirm if this also holds true compared to the Liric, which is an actual closed back.
I'd call the Expanse semi open at best, also from the amount of Ambient noise they Block.(which is substantial)

If you use EQ, you could try to lower the midbass by ~2db. I heard reports of that opening up the soundstage.
Alternatively reduce somewhere between 4-7k (presence Region) and increase 8k+ (air Region)

Personally I just accepted that the stage is small and if I crave soundstage I pick the Elite that day. The Expanse has other qualitys I dig.
However after 3 days my brain adjusted so that it didn't feel congested anymore
I truly respect Dan's dedicated work, but the Mr Speaker/DCA headphones I tried so far were really not up in my alley. Lacking dynamic contrast, definition, spatial clues, impact... I would pick the LCD2 or even LCD2C any day versus all the Æon 2 variations.
This experience somewhat made me unexcited towards the Stealth/Expanse, but of course I wouldn't refuse trying them. :)

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #3,077 of 5,647
Meze will probably release their next headphone, sep 2023 earliest.
They usually Stick to canjam SoCal for releases.

So your wallet should be save for a while
😂 Thank goodness for that! I think I’ll watch the user reviews on the HA-3A for a bit then make a decision by end of Oct as to what I’ll add next.

Winter coming so it would be nice to listen to music in front of the fire downstairs but too much ambient noise for that with the Elites!

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #3,078 of 5,647
I truly respect Dan's dedicated work, but the Mr Speaker/DCA headphones I tried so far were really not up in my valley. Lacking dynamic contrast, definition, spatial clues, impact... I would pick the LCD2 or even LCD2C any day versus all the Æon 2 variations.
This experience somewhat made me unexcited towards the Stealth/Expanse, but of course I wouldn't refuse trying them. :)
I never heard a DCA Headphone Prior to Expanse.

I only pulled the trigger due to a review saying they are something like a "more detailed Elite". Which sounds like something with great potential to replace my Solitaire P.

While I can't see how the conclusion of a more detailed Elite formed in the first place, I still like them for their own strengths and character.

They certainly have dynamic contrast, Definition, detail, powerful yet very controlled Bass, weighty mids (which I really like) and huge presence factor. What they lack is air and soundstage.

As an addition to the Elite they are great, as a replacement not so much

Sep 25, 2022 at 2:10 PM Post #3,079 of 5,647
Just very tall Left and Right and center congested all very close to the center of my head.
This is why I love the Elites, wide soundstage. However with any headphones I feel the need to use Dave's crossfeed. That's really good at pushing the sound out of your head and adding some depth and layering. I've also tried dCS's Expanse on Lina recently, and while very weird at first, it did feel more natural after a while. I might make the switch because of it. I've also ordered a Zahl Hm1 and am curious how that soundstage widening feature will work. Either way, i think the answer is in the chain, not the headphones.

Sep 26, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #3,080 of 5,647
I have been comparing the new DCA Expanse with the Meze Elites. I have posted more details over on the Expanse thread, but safe to say that they are totally different presentations. The Expanse is not that expansive compared to the Elites, in fact the Elites are noticeably more open and expansive. There's just a bit more hair on the Expanse's bass through midrange, whereas it seems tastefully smoothed out on the Elites. I think that contributes to the Elites musicality. When A/B'ing, I just wanted to listen to the Elites more, they're such a fun an easy listen. And the fact that they don't need a powerhouse to drive is very impressive on top of everything else. I'm giving the DCA Expanse a while to grow on me, but I fell in love with the Elites instantly.
Sweet! For someone who has been agonizing over this for quite some time, very nice to read the definitive proclamation of long-term listening preference here. In addition, I could use the Norne cables I already have with the Elite, (big deal there), and the pads are not glued on (super important to me). So it's looking like the Elite is moving into the forefront of cans to buy. Overall, the Elite seem to provide the most compelling argument for my intended use. The Expanse did look very interesting, but the Elite tick all the boxes for me I think. No headphone is going to be absolutely perfect (at least not yet LOL) but exhaustive research indicates Elite to be all that and a bag of chips...

Thanks for the reviews all. Huge appreciation.

Sep 26, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #3,081 of 5,647
Sweet! For someone who has been agonizing over this for quite some time, very nice to read the definitive proclamation of long-term listening preference here. In addition, I could use the Norne cables I already have with the Elite, (big deal there), and the pads are not glued on (super important to me). So it's looking like the Elite is moving into the forefront of cans to buy. Overall, the Elite seem to provide the most compelling argument for my intended use. The Expanse did look very interesting, but the Elite tick all the boxes for me I think. No headphone is going to be absolutely perfect (at least not yet LOL) but exhaustive research indicates Elite to be all that and a bag of chips...

Thanks for the reviews all. Huge appreciation.
I would be less hesitant recommending the Elites to someone over the Expanse or a lot of other cans. I feel it has a more universally appealing sound and puts musicality with a large stage at the forefront. All the while, it has excellent tonal balance with a pleasant midbass bump. Technicalities are impressive, but never put before enjoyment. The build, materials, comfort are divine and it looks like it's worth every penny you paid for it. You also get two very different sound signatures because of the pad options. All you need is a good source and barely any power. As long as your preference isn't towards a dark sound, you can't go wrong with them!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #3,082 of 5,647
I would be less hesitant recommending the Elites to someone over the Expanse or a lot of other cans. I feel it has a more universally appealing sound and puts musicality with a large stage at the forefront. All the while, it has excellent tonal balance with a pleasant midbass bump. Technicalities are impressive, but never put before enjoyment. The build is divine and looks like it's worth every penny you paid for it. You also get two very different sound signatures because of the pad options. And, it all you need is a good source and barely any power. As long as your preference isn't towards a dark sound, you can't go wrong with them!
I agree. I listened to the Elites and went, “who’s gonna dislike these?” Safer to buy blindly I think, if a demo is impossible.

It’s not my favorite pair (that goes to Susvara on a good rig) but the Elites is my other keeper because I enjoy it so much in my living room (or take me travelling) for music and movies and it requires less to sound top notch.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #3,084 of 5,647
This is why I love the Elites, wide soundstage. However with any headphones I feel the need to use Dave's crossfeed. That's really good at pushing the sound out of your head and adding some depth and layering. I've also tried dCS's Expanse on Lina recently, and while very weird at first, it did feel more natural after a while. I might make the switch because of it. I've also ordered a Zahl Hm1 and am curious how that soundstage widening feature will work. Either way, i think the answer is in the chain, not the headphones.
I'd be interested to know how the Zahl's sound stage narrowing function will work with the Elites, for that should be closer to Dave's cross-feed effect. I would expect any widening effect to further exacerbate the hard left/right panning of certain recordings.

Although the Elite's sound stage is narrower than my HEK's, they still benefit from Dave's cross-feed to give a deeper and more realistic sound stage.
That side effect of cross-feed's narrower sound stage was not a problem with HEK's extra wide start point, but with the Elites, the end result is a bit narrower than I'd prefer. So I've yet to find the perfect headphone cross-feed/expanse solution. For a variety of reasons, the DCS Lina is not on my radar.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #3,085 of 5,647
I'd be interested to know how the Zahl's sound stage narrowing function will work with the Elites, for that should be closer to Dave's cross-feed effect. I would expect any widening effect to further exacerbate the hard left/right panning of certain recordings.

Although the Elite's sound stage is narrower than my HEK's, they still benefit from Dave's cross-feed to give a deeper and more realistic sound stage.
That side effect of cross-feed's narrower sound stage was not a problem with HEK's extra wide start point, but with the Elites, the end result is a bit narrower than I'd prefer. So I've yet to find the perfect headphone cross-feed/expanse solution. For a variety of reasons, the DCS Lina is not on my radar.
The narrowing function is just straight up making it mono. I've also understood from initial impressions that the widening technique is actually what the recording engineers use so...if it is already applied properly, it will have little to no effect. It's a bit more "pro" than i would've liked in that regard. I'm still excited about it though, as well as the bass/high shelfs.
Lina's Expanse is the best I've heard so far, and while the widening feature makes a mess of CF, as expected (I've asked an Zahl owner to test it for me a few days ago), the bass/high shelfs should interact with Expanse smoothly.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #3,086 of 5,647
My choice amp for the Elite is the newly released Cayin HA-3A. This takes enjoyment even further. It is excellent out of the box and the engineering that goes into being an excellent match regardless of impedance is amazing. Best value tube amp for sensitive cans. Sounds excellent even in stock form with ZMF dynamics, Focal’s offerings, and of course the Elites.

35F6AAFC-2C55-49B2-8805-1DB038B88464.jpeg

How have you been getting on with the HA-3A with the Elites? How would you describe the sound, soundstage difference between it and the TT2? I know they are completely different beasts but I've had the TT2 in the past so it's a good reference point for me if you see what I mean. I really like the size as it would fit in perfectly alongside a Naim Atom HE. Cheers

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #3,087 of 5,647
How have you been getting on with the HA-3A with the Elites? How would you describe the sound, soundstage difference between it and the TT2? I know they are completely different beasts but I've had the TT2 in the past so it's a good reference point for me if you see what I mean. I really like the size as it would fit in perfectly alongside a Naim Atom HE. Cheers
Unfortunately I never use my TT2 as an amp, just as a DAC, just a preference. I only tried Elites with the TT2 a short time and it’s technically good but I get bored. I still prefer the HA-3A because TT2 can get boring and dry. I prefer the OG empyreans with the TT2. I am enjoying the Elites with the HA-3A because the amp sounds clean, soundstage is excellent and it gives a nice tube glow between layers and instruments if you know what I mean. Without being overly tube-y, but nicely and tastefully balanced which matches Elite’s already balanced and tasteful tuning.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #3,088 of 5,647
Excellent, thanks. For what it is it seems very reasonably priced as well! Quite surprising… so much so I was a little suspicious 😂.

Sep 26, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #3,089 of 5,647
Got my Elites finally. First toughts: cable is not bad, but not good either. World most comfortable headphone set my expectations super high, comfort is really good, but adx is better :) . Sound out of the gate is to my liking, I had to listen to Arya V2 for a long time in order to like the sound, not with these. Now for the sound: I don't get that notion that these do not have resolution, im not missing anything, tough i will say that adx5000 makes you to notice more detail, but i dont necessary think they have more details. Bass has impact and texture, perfect for edm. Vocals have depth and soul. Highs have slightly less energy than i like, Diana V2 had better highs in my opinion. I understand that notion that these do not do anything extremely well, nothing has jumped out to me, lows/mids/highs are really good but not exceptional. Soundsatge is one thing tough that can be described as exceptional in my opionion.

Im quoting Z reviews here: These cannot be the first headphones you try, because you will read that X headphones are better for bass/mid/Highs and want to change. And i agree, those X headphones will most likely do one of those things better, but will lack in other aspects, or maby not, everyone likes different headphones.

Note: On RME these sound too sibilant, but with SA-1 perfect.

Edit: Acustic quitar is really good, however i feel like ADX beats these in electric quitar, Rammstein just has more impact on ADX. However Moby -Extreme Ways is better on the Elite, it just has more soul.

Would I buy these again now that I know how these sound? Yes.

My preference: Slightly elevated bass, warm tonality and forward mids.
My music: EDM, Tool, Sam Smith, Adele, Hans Zimmer

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 9:12 AM Post #3,090 of 5,647
Excellent, thanks. For what it is it seems very reasonably priced as well! Quite surprising… so much so I was a little suspicious 😂.
It’s good but maybe it could be a bit narrow in terms of pairing because of the weak output. Seems like it’s only really really good for sensitive cans like ZMF dynamic cans, Focals and Mezes and you’ll need the ha300 or ha-6a for most other cans. It does less, and matches with less cans than its bigger brothers but it does what it can do very very well. A bit more niche but it’s very good if it matches the rest of your stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back