MEZE AUDIO ELITE - The New Isodynamic Hybrid Array Headphone - official thread
Sep 26, 2022 at 10:27 PM Post #3,091 of 5,675
I've been focused on the Expanse the past few days, but felt like comparing the OG Utopia (sent by mistake instead of the new ones) to the Meze Elites (which I'm now pretty familiar with and love). I was surprised to hear how similar they are in tonality. I'm listening to the new Khruangbin / Farka Toure album, going back and fourth. First, there's not much difference in the stage, they both throw out a great soundstage, crystal clear presentation of the air region and very 3-dimensional imaging of the stage. There is just a touch more midbass warmth on the Elites, which also calms the treble a bit on them. The Utopia is clearer in that region and the treble ends up being a little more crystal clear as a result. I think that leads to the Utopia sounding just a bit more snappy, zingy, the transients are sharper. The hi hats and other percussive hits have a bit more snap, but I can see this getting more fatiguing over the long term. They're both sounding pretty great.

EDIT: Ok I turned up the volume on the next track and the Utopia became a bit much very quickly at louder volume. On lower volume the top end sparkle adds liveliness, but at louder volume it can become a bit piercing compared to the Elite, which stay smooth on the top end at louder volume. I think the new 2022 one is supposed to tame this treble a bit, which in-turn will return a little more focus on the mids and bass, so it might end up sounding closer to the Elite, but with a more neutral midbass region.

Oh yea...at louder volume, there is no comparison for me. I'd take the Elite over the OG Utopia because it's just so much smoother and the midbass warmth is making it more punchy with this reggae type music. Loving the Elites for this album.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #3,094 of 5,675
I'm wondering if anyone is able to compare the HD 800s to the Elites? How would you say the Elite stacks up in terms of soundstage?
Almost as big. HD800S has slightly better imaging whereas Elite has more height/vertical stage. HD800S is more amp picky IMO but both open up with a good Amp and DAC. This is solely based on listening to large scale orchestra.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #3,095 of 5,675
Almost as big. HD800S has slightly better imaging whereas Elite has more height/vertical stage. HD800S is more amp picky IMO but both open up with a good Amp and DAC. This is solely based on listening to large scale orchestra.
Thanks! I'll have to do some A/B testing at my local shop, but I'm pretty much going to have to sell my LCD-5's. As much as I love the sound of them, they're too uncomfortable on my tiny head. I got a good deal on the HD 800s and I have 30 days to return them and purchase the Meze Elite instead (assuming I can sell my LCD-5's in time that is).

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #3,097 of 5,675
Interesting, I don't find that at all. So you think the Elite's soundstage doesn't sound as wide?
I think it's because you can't complete the picture of a soundstage without some bass. The 800's ends up feeling more stretched out, maybe because it's missing that bass foundation.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #3,098 of 5,675
I have done some relatively low-volume listening the last couple of nights, and the Elite is able to maintain its dynamics quite well. On the flip side, the nice balance remains when turning the volume up.

Another plug for the Quicksilver Headphone Amp paired with the Elite. For those that are considering the new Cayin HA-3A, this is a great alternative with quite a bit more power. I keep thinking about upgrading my BF2/Quicksilver setup, but after every late-night listening session I can’t get over how great things sound.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #3,099 of 5,675
Thanks! I'll have to do some A/B testing at my local shop, but I'm pretty going to have to sell my LCD-5's. As much as I love the sound of them, they're too uncomfortable on my tiny head. I got a good deal on the HD 800s and I have 30 days to return them and purchase the Meze Elite instead (assuming I can sell my LCD-5's in time that is).
I would recommend a good tube amp for the HD800S. They are bright and lack bass. But for classical music... They are special.

But IMO the Elites are better. The Elites give the sound this 3d quality to them which makes the other headphones sound thin and harsh. I got my Elites used with two different silver cables for $2600. If you really want more resolution - then go Stax. But then you run into other problems - no bass. So back to the Elites

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #3,100 of 5,675
Interesting, I don't find that at all. So you think the Elite's soundstage doesn't sound as wide?
elite as wide,not close but more natural sounding

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #3,101 of 5,675
I would recommend a good tube amp for the HD800S. They are bright and lack bass. But for classical music... They are special.

But IMO the Elites are better. The Elites give the sound this 3d quality to them which makes the other headphones sound thin and harsh. I got my Elites used with two different silver cables for $2600. If you really want more resolution - then go Stax. But then you run into other problems - no bass. So back to the Elites

Cool, I use EQ to up the Bass and tame the treble a bit for the HD 800s and so far it's great. Don't really see any reason to get a tube amp to add harmonics (although I get why many people do). I'll definitely try to test them in the next couple weeks again directly with the HD 800s, but I'm still a bit skeptical. It's just the couple times I've heard them I felt underwhelmed, but again I probably just need to give them a fresh listen for an extended period of time.

Sep 27, 2022 at 12:07 AM Post #3,102 of 5,675
I think Adx5000 is on the same page with the soundstage of hd800, i have those. Soundstage is about the same, slightly larger on the adx, but imaging for positional queues (gaming) is better on the ADX.

Sep 27, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #3,103 of 5,675
I went to audition the hd800s because they’re legendary and it seems to be a good addition to the fam, for classical music and movies, and driven by tubes/r2r. I also didn’t think the soundstage sounded natural. Maybe some disproportionate placements e.g like instruments came from opposite ends of a hallway or something, instead of a square studio. They’re very special and it seems they’re the only cans that can do soundstage like they do but it’s not something I gravitate towards

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:26 AM Post #3,104 of 5,675
If we are talking about comparisons, can somebody share their thoughts about Elite vs Verite Closed? and about having Elite AND Verite Closed (I like to have one open-back and one closed-back)? They would be most often plugged directly into TT2, maybe some OTL tube amp in the future, but I really like TT2 as a small desktop combo.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #3,105 of 5,675
Okay, so I have found my TOTL, these are it. Music is enjoyable, that is all. I noticed with Diana V2 that I focused more on the details of the songs and was like wow, amazing details and nuances but did not enjoy the music as such. Same with Arya, ah so spacious but not coherent. Then with Clears everything was natural and life like, but dull. With these I enjoy music, these don't draw attention to any specific detail or part, music just flows. Still I don't recommend these as your first TOTL headphone like I said in my previous post:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mez...eadphone-official-thread.959445/post-17163635

Users who are viewing this thread

Back