Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #3,302 of 7,704
Has the Meze Maple been discontinued? I only see the Neo and Walnut versions on their website..

Yes it has but some places may have old stock.

The maple will only come with the original smaller pads if you do find one.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,304 of 7,704
Does anyone know where to get balanced 2.5mm cable for meze 99 classic for cheap?
I don't want to go too crazy on this as it is only for portable use.

and btw, do I still need to do the mod?

I think Meze themselves are making one of the best Balanced cables you can buy

@MezeTeam

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #3,305 of 7,704
I think Meze themselves are making one of the best Balanced cables you can buy

@MezeTeam

Thx for the help man. Yes I'm aware that they are selling one made from copper and also silver, unfortunately I'm not prepared to spend that much, I was thinking of balanced cable with the same / comparable material as the stock cable.
The max I'm willing to spend is probably like $50 - $70, I know I'm being cheap here, sorry.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #3,306 of 7,704
Thx for the help man. Yes I'm aware that they are selling one made from copper and also silver, unfortunately I'm not prepared to spend that much, I was thinking of balanced cable with the same / comparable material as the stock cable.
The max I'm willing to spend is probably like $50 - $70, I know I'm being cheap here, sorry.
The hurdle is using the plug that go into the cans. They can be ordered from Meze. The other option is to use a mod inside the cans which would enable a bigger sized jack to go into the port. However you need to find someone who would be willing to make you a cable for 50 - 70. Haven't come across any for the Meze and i might just get the cable they sell. I am still looking for an alternative.

Oct 24, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #3,307 of 7,704
The hurdle is using the plug that go into the cans. They can be ordered from Meze. The other option is to use a mod inside the cans which would enable a bigger sized jack to go into the port. However you need to find someone who would be willing to make you a cable for 50 - 70. Haven't come across any for the Meze and i might just get the cable they sell. I am still looking for an alternative.

Yes, this is a bit of a pickle for me, I will always go balance if I can, however my Meze is now only for walking around duty, not able to use at work and at home I got my other cans, so the timing in which I use the meze is rare, I know balance makes difference, but it's hard to justify the investment on cable for half the cost of the headphone itself in my case.

buying the socket mod, will cost around 25 for a pair, plus the cable if going after market, the meze one will work straight so it will save time and effort actually, I would actually get that cable if I use the meze a lot.

Oct 24, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #3,309 of 7,704
I found https://www.ebay.com/itm/282361469812 and waiting for these to arrive to give them a go. They are a bit shorter but still long enough it seems and the price is worth the risk; Meze plugs or cables are €20 plus €17 shipping for me.

seems like they only sell SE termination, thx for the link though. maybe I should PM the seller privately

Oct 24, 2017 at 8:10 AM Post #3,310 of 7,704

You're not being cheap, of course, it is just that I don't know if you can find anything to match the quality of those ones at a lower price, considering most cables out there. I mean, there are many cables that are far more expensive out there :darthsmile:

Oct 24, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #3,311 of 7,704
Zivro I'd like to subscribe to your future opinions about replacement pads.

While I'm misquoting you completely, since you've never said anything remotely close to anything written above, I figured eh, what the heck...

I just received the replacement pads for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (ebay), after spending around 10-15 minutes putting them on (they're smaller than the larger classic pads in diameter but a tiny bit deeper).

Now, as you remember, I test all replacement pads by the famous 'Zivro's 18 most important aspects for headphone pads' system, I couldn't find 18 properties so I narrowed it to 2, comfort and sound.

comfort wise, they're pretty much the same as the larger pads, since they're just this tiny bit deeper you get the illusion that they're more comfortable at first, but wearing them for 3 hours (maybe 10 minutes more) will wear your ears (or the areas immediately
around), climate wise they're the same, probably a similar material to the larger, classic pads.

Due to these points, I give comfort a solid - pretty much the same, maybe just a tiny bit better out of ten.

sound wise, I felt like the sound is a little less intimate, I listened to a variety of songs, the chain by fleetwood mac, frgt/10 by linkin park, brown sugar, a plethora of alternative rock (one of my favorite genres), it just
didn't have as much impact on the earhole as the original pads offer, especially in terms of bass, it wasn't that bad otherwise as they offer a little bit more in terms of soundstage. on 'thunderstruck' acdc, I liked them more at
the very beginning, before you hear the drums, it sounded much more crisp.

Now I know that all those words I used are waaay too subjective to make sense of, but I hope you've caught my drift, even if partially.

final results for the replacement pads for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

2uhmz4g.png

my suggestion? skip.

note:
sometime, it takes more than a few hours to assess earpads, to let the material soften, settle and the sound to ripen, so i'll update in a few days, maybe the PSB pads will arrive by then.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #3,312 of 7,704
While I'm misquoting you completely, since you've never said anything remotely close to anything written above, I figured eh, what the heck...

I just received the replacement pads for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (ebay), after spending around 10-15 minutes putting them on (they're smaller than the larger classic pads in diameter but a tiny bit deeper).

Now, as you remember, I test all replacement pads by the famous 'Zivro's 18 most important aspects for headphone pads' system, I couldn't find 18 properties so I narrowed it to 2, comfort and sound.

comfort wise, they're pretty much the same as the larger pads, since they're just this tiny bit deeper you get the illusion that they're more comfortable at first, but wearing them for 3 hours (maybe 10 minutes more) will wear your ears (or the areas immediately
around), climate wise they're the same, probably a similar material to the larger, classic pads.

Due to these points, I give comfort a solid - pretty much the same, maybe just a tiny bit better out of ten.

sound wise, I felt like the sound is a little less intimate, I listened to a variety of songs, the chain by fleetwood mac, frgt/10 by linkin park, brown sugar, a plethora of alternative rock (one of my favorite genres), it just
didn't have as much impact on the earhole as the original pads offer, especially in terms of bass, it wasn't that bad otherwise as they offer a little bit more in terms of soundstage. on 'thunderstruck' acdc, I liked them more at
the very beginning, before you hear the drums, it sounded much more crisp.

Now I know that all those words I used are waaay too subjective to make sense of, but I hope you've caught my drift, even if partially.

final results for the replacement pads for the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0

2uhmz4g.png

my suggestion? skip.

note:
sometime, it takes more than a few hours to assess earpads, to let the material soften, settle and the sound to ripen, so i'll update in a few days, maybe the PSB pads will arrive by then.

That's cool lol, but I don't recall ever asking about the these headphones?

I DID however just try out the Brainwavz non-angled sheepskin leather ear pads on my Meze 99 Classics, and they were FANTASTIC! See the second update in my review (in bold) for more info.

Oct 24, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #3,313 of 7,704
That's cool lol, but I don't recall ever asking about the these headphones?

I DID however just try out the Brainwavz non-angled sheepskin leather ear pads on my Meze 99 Classics, and they were FANTASTIC! See the second update in my review (in bold) for more info.
Nah, you didn't, I used the sennheiser pads on the meze 99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back