Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #3,331 of 7,703
Coming back with the second set of news, this time for a new product, something that we've been asked if we could do and we took up the challenge.

So, without further ado, here you have them, an upcoming line of Meze Audio IEMs. Official name, specs, and price point will be released in due time. Which is your favorite?

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

So when are we going to see these?

Nov 2, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,333 of 7,703
... and what's inside?
I wonder if the "challenge they took up" is an over ear design or maybe they are taking on BA drivers. I hope its still DD.

Nov 4, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #3,337 of 7,703
how do the meze 99 classics compare to the hifiman he400i? I listen only to metal/rock, need headphones with much more authority, more body.

I own both and IMO, the Meze just blow the HE 400i out of the water. I do like the 400i a lot but lack the body of the Meze. The 400i are crazy detailed with both my amps, bass is tight and light but better then some say.

Now the Meze just has that full body sound where the bass takes center stage. It does NOT meddle into the mids or highs but it’s pronounced, tight, fast and deeeep.

It hits surprisingly hard in the sub bass where you feel it from your feet to your ears. Got a nice mid bass bump that’s smooth. The mids liquid snooth, just right and the treble has just enough sparkle to satisfy “some” of the most critical listeners. It’s important I say some. Lol it’s a very non fatiguing HP where I can listen hours on end.

For me the stock pad size is perfect but some have issues that they’re too small for their ears and they get warm. No issues for this guy.

It really is a pretty neutral set of HP’s with an emphasis on the low end. All
I listen to is progressive metal, progressive rock, rock, etc. and I couldn’t be happier.
It blows me away how good these are for the price as they punch so far above their retail. Plus you can EQ the hell out of these and we won’t hear much or if any distortion. It’s pretty insane how far you can push these.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #3,340 of 7,703
I own both and IMO, the Meze just blow the HE 400i out of the water. I do like the 400i a lot but lack the body of the Meze. The 400i are crazy detailed with both my amps, bass is tight and light but better then some say.

Now the Meze just has that full body sound where the bass takes center stage. It does NOT meddle into the mids or highs but it’s pronounced, tight, fast and deeeep.

It hits surprisingly hard in the sub bass where you feel it from your feet to your ears. Got a nice mid bass bump that’s smooth. The mids liquid snooth, just right and the treble has just enough sparkle to satisfy “some” of the most critical listeners. It’s important I say some. Lol it’s a very non fatiguing HP where I can listen hours on end.

For me the stock pad size is perfect but some have issues that they’re too small for their ears and they get warm. No issues for this guy.

It really is a pretty neutral set of HP’s with an emphasis on the low end. All
I listen to is progressive metal, progressive rock, rock, etc. and I couldn’t be happier.
It blows me away how good these are for the price as they punch so far above their retail. Plus you can EQ the hell out of these and we won’t hear much or if any distortion. It’s pretty insane how far you can push these.

Excellent review!

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #3,341 of 7,703
All I listen to is progressive metal, progressive rock, rock, etc. and I couldn’t be happier.
Succinct observations. On that note some Ash Ra Tempel and ELP!

Nov 6, 2017 at 2:42 AM Post #3,343 of 7,703
Can anyone recommend a dap for the 99C ???

I would recommend Cayin I5, it has one of the best synergy with the 99 Classic, it is an older model DAP, but when it came out it was famous for it's musicality and synergy with the meze, because it is an older model, you may be able to find it for cheap, so you will save money too if you are on a budget.

I found the UI to be quite good too, so no problem there.

Nov 6, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #3,345 of 7,703
Loving the sound of my 99C on the Cayin N5II today. Not as warm or robust as with the i5, but super clean and clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back