Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Jan 13, 2016.
  1. slim shady
    question does the balanced cable from meze improve the sound quality and does the trrs 3.5mm jack works with normal 3.5mm audio jacks ???

Yes i looked up the cayin i5 and its sold out / out of stock in my country (india) so any worthy alternates ?

I only have one issue with 99C sq i.e treble's are a bit harsh and yes i eq'd them using the profile from this thread but the rest its pure heaven.Now my source is my lg g4.
    So is the dap a significant game changer for sq and how much does balanced improve the sq compared to unbalanced cables ???

P.S i don't have a single piece of audio gear like literally except these puppies (99C).
    P.P.S So glad i did not go for wireless crap of vmoda(i did not like em too bassy, v shaped for me) as p7w was unavailable.

2. superuser1
    I would suggest you get an amp/ dac for your phone without spending too much and that can give you an answer to your question if a better source would alleviate the sound. From what i am hearing, a better source does present me with better sounding 99c.

RockStar2005 and Dobrescu George like this.
  3. koover
    I couldn’t agree more with Superuser1.
    My daily portable driver is the 99 classics with a Dragonfly Red (DFR) and this combo has an outstanding synergy. Granted I haven’t listened to anything else (Portable amp/dac) but the way I look at it, I don’t need to as that’s how much I enjoy this combo. You can get this thumb/flash drive like amp/Dac for under $200 from Audioquest. Also, if you don’t like the DFR, they sell pretty quickly and close to retail in the classifieds on this site. I cannot recommend enough. Just my 2 pennies

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    RockStar2005 likes this.
  4. superuser1
    I have been hearing some great things about the DFR! good suggestion however it maybe hard to come across in India which is a consideration for him i reckon.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  5. slim shady
    the reason i thought of getting a dap is no new phones have headphone jack and my g4 is kinda dying so im gonna replace it.Since a dap has both dac and amp and is perfect for portable use (i travel around) a dap makes perfect sense

RockStar2005 and mbwilson111 like this.
  6. koover
    Yeah, never thought of that. I’d sure try anyhow. No matter what good luck in your search man because once these are dialed in, this HP is one of my favorites and I own a lot. Lol

7. superuser1
    You can try the X5 III or the Opus 1 or a step up to X7 Mk II or AK 70 Mk II.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  8. koover
    Don’t forget you can get an adapter. I believe most phones have that option. On my IPhone 7, the lightning cable/adapter ran me about $35 and works like a charm.
    Either way you go, just find the right source that you can get your hands on and you’ll be happy.

RockStar2005 and superuser1 like this.
  9. Lurk650
    Lol you are thinking of iPhones and The Essential Phone. All other phones will have a headphone jack. You could look for a LG V20 or 30 which have Audiophile DACs built in. I have a V10 and it was the best sounding phone I've had.

RockStar2005, superuser1 and koover like this.
  10. mbwilson111
    If you are ok with one sd card slot you can spend less and get a Cayin N3. Drives the Meze and others very well. I highly recommend it. I have the Opus as well and I find myself using the Cayin more these days. Great support from the company... they actually participate in the thread. The OTG feature works very well as well. If I could only keep one of my daps that would be the one.

RockStar2005 and HungryPanda like this.
  11. superuser1
    You do make a very valid point. For the price its a great buy.

RockStar2005 likes this.
  12. Preachy1
    I've been on the fence about picking up an N3 (for my walk-around device). You may have given me the nudge!

mbwilson111 likes this.
  13. mbwilson111
    If you do get the Cayin some users, including me, have had to use a different usb c cable than the one provided. For some reason the provided cable does not let the PC see the device but it will work for charging. I bought an Anker one.

For walking around my most pocketable dap is my little Ruizu A50 ,,,same form factor as the Shanling M1 but not nearly as refined.... it has no gapless play and seems to be in a permanent high gain mode (no settings available). I use it though because it is so tiny but like I said the Cayin would be the one if I could only have one.

Here is a photo that I posted in another thread showing the size differences among the Cayin N3, the Opus#1 (same size as Fiio x5iii), and the Ruizu. The Cayin is wearing its silicone cover which is not quite that orangy in real life. The device itself is a gorgeous metallic red. Also comes in cyan and black. If you like the idea of the smaller Ruizu just consider the features that you require and maybe step up to the Shanling M1.

Sorry about the poor lighting washing things out. It was the middle of the night... had to use the flash.

upload_2017-11-7_16-29-8.jpeg

HungryPanda likes this.
  14. Preachy1
    Thanks very much!!!

15. mbwilson111
    I had to edit an important typo. - For some reason the provided cable does NOT let the PC see the device but it will work for charging. I bought an Anker one.

Some have had no problem... it is only a £5 cable but of course the included one should have worked.