Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Preachy1
    Two questions: 1st, is AliExpress a reliable purchase source? And 2nd, any thoughts on the AIGO Z6Pro? Looks nice with decent specs.

2. mbwilson111
    Head on over to the Obscure Chinese Daps thread. You will get more answers than you could possibly want. As for Ali, it depends on the seller you deal with but ali itself will work with you if there are problems with seller... kind of like amazon does. I have only bought inexpensive iems and buds from there. My Ruizu came from Penon. Gearbest is also good and has a presence on this forum.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/obscure-chinese-daps.720512/page-245

3. Preachy1
    I figured that much :)

4. Preachy1
    Thanks, I was not aware that Ali is an aggregate selling site. that helps!

5. mbwilson111
    Usually if you search for an item there will be more than one seller who has it. go for the one who has had many orders and has good feedback. Be careful about price with some items. iIf there is only one seller it might not be a good deal. Sometimes Amazon will have it for a better price... or if it is the same price at least it will arrive faster....if it is fulfilled by amazon. I had a few things take 5 weeks to arrive from ali... good seller ... just too many orders and some of the stuff is diy which takes time to make.

6. Lurk650
    Haven't had time to read through this thread yet, but, are people using aftermarket pads on these or sticking with stock? I believe when I had the Neo a couple months ago I had switched to HM5 Angled. Thinking maybe Sheepskin Round this time around, though maybe Oval is the better choice

RockStar2005 likes this.
  7. mbwilson111
    Mine is the Neo but I am perfectly happy with the stock pads. Very comfortable and I do not want to change the sound. What happened to your Neo?

8. Lurk650
    I bought the 400i and ultimately kept the 400i over the Neo. Another member posted his 99C for sale yesterday for $200 so I jumped at it immediately.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  9. PinkyPowers
    N5II & 99C 01.jpg

While the Cayin i5 may be the more robust, fun pairing, the soon-to-be-released Cayin N5II combines with my 99C to achieve the most remarkable balance of rich, deep sound, and jaw-dropping clarity. I haven't listen to much else the last two days. :D

10. RockStar2005
    If you're really interested in using a phone over a DAP, the LG V30 is a fantastic choice. I just got it a couple weeks ago (upgrade from my HTC 10). It comes with really great sounding audio, including its highly-rated Quad DAC and also a very strong amp that can power up to like 600-ohm headphones. Not sure if it's available in India, but even if not, you could probably find an international one on eBay, though you'd have to make sure it will work in India. The asian LG G6 also had a Quad DAC too (just not the U.S. or I believe European models), so that's another option too. The V30 is brand new though, so that's something else to consider (G6 came out in April).

But the other DAPs and amp/DACs mentioned already are great too. It just depends on what set up you want most.

mbwilson111 likes this.
  11. superuser1
    India is strange this way. While it's a big market for smartphones that are newly released it can be the opposite when it comes to audio gear. V30 is a great choice.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    RockStar2005 likes this.
  12. Lurk650
    What cable is that?

13. PinkyPowers
    It's a balanced cable I built using Norne Audio DiY parts from his store.

14. Bansaku
    Geesh this thread moves fast! Been following the conversation at work but remained silent because I can't post (no time). TBH not only was my computer down for the count, but I finally received my HDV 820 review unit and been too busy to post from home, but all is good now! I will let my pictures do the talking.

dodo99.jpg
    dodocool 8GB DA106

nx99.jpg
    Topping NX1s

With 64GB Patriot high speed microSD, total price paid was less that $100 CND! I now have a killer couch listening setup! Highly recommended!

:metal::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

P.S. This is my 99 Classics new home (right next to purple heart Jesus), on my entertainment centre for all to see! No more hanging them up!
    jesus99.jpg

15. PinkyPowers
    Dodocool makes a DAP?

I did a very brief review of their DA131 IEM. That was the only thing I knew of them. Apparently they have quite a few products. :open_mouth: