1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by MezeTeam, Jan 13, 2016.
First

Back
275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284
286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295
Next

Last
  1. loopfreak
    Thx,

so does Meze pairs well with those two option in comparison to Mojo for instance, or is it the matter of amplification which is not always present since 99 is more pushed towords plug and play type of crowd.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. thehamubrglar
    Hey George what pads you rocking on there?

3. Lurk650
    I don't think I've listened to my 99C with the Burson, will have to connect it this weekend. I don't do much desktop listening. I do know however is that my Amiron Home (Balanced cable with 2.5 to 3.5 adapter) sounds better directly from the Burson Air vs when I had the Magni 3 in the middle. More power doesn't always mean better sound.

4. loopfreak
    If the more power is geared to me just to be clear, I'm interested more in realation generic phone integrated amp vs decent one.

5. Lurk650
    More of a general statement but the 99C are geared toward plug and play BUT they defintely seem to scale a bit with better sources and can benefit from balanced cables & (IMO) Sheepskin pads

6. loopfreak
    Changing the pads is definitely most valid way to tune the sound, I agree.

7. Dobrescu George
    I'm actually having the pads 99C came with (?)

8. thehamubrglar
    Oh ok they looked different for some reason. Maybe just mobile view

Dobrescu George likes this.
  9. chungjun
    Noticed recently my beloved Meze 99C pads showing signs that it's time for replacement.

Thought it might be a good time to explore different pads and see how they change compared to the original. Was hunting up and down this thread as I recall reading numerous impression of alternative pads (fitting ATH-MSR7, M50X, Brainwavz) that might fit.

I came across stPad2 by Yaxi pads (fit guide is for ATH-M50X) - https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/stpad2/

Anyone tried these before? I went to a local retailer with samples of the Yaxi stPad2 and after a brief listen, they leave me wanting to get a pair! Too bad they were out of stock at the moment.

Not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me but my impression is that the Yaxi stPad2 are comfortable and help control and reign in the bass (may be something to consider if you find the bass too 'boomy'). The stPad2 fit is made for ATH-MSR7 / M50X, as such fit-wise, it is not as snug like the original but it stays on well enough. It is also not as thick. The 'dome' shape does give more space to my ears (vs the original). I also switched and tried Yaxi stPad (standard version) and find that the standard version doesn't have the same effect I felt / heard with the stPad2.

Wondering if anyone tried Yaxi stPad2 and share the same impression?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  10. soundboy94
    Just received my first external DAC/Amp. I purchased the S.M.S.L M6 for the price of £130 off amazon, and I must say the soundstage has widened a bit and I can say the mid bass and lower bass have slightly better control on my Meze 99 Classics. Overall I'm fairly happy with it it's got the features I need and decent sound. I wonder if anyone has experienced a really WOW! impact with a under £200 dac.

Light - Man likes this.
  11. rafaelo
    For one all inclusive DAC/amp not DIY solution for 200£ exact I would recommend ifi audio black nano.

12. soundboy94
    what about the WOW! factor on the ifi ? =)

13. rafaelo
    Ifi is WOW by definition. Because I have the ione which is super wow but more suitable to speakers I did not buy this. And since the xDSD is super wow as well but on 400£ the nano Black is excellent option for headphones and 200£. More or less these three options sound the same the functionalities are different. So do not think that you get less sound quality with nano in comparison to xDSD you just are getting less functionality which if you do not need anyway you are absolutely fine.

And I am emphasizing the all in one solution and also because you mentioned the DAC section. Because I can assure you that also the Burson audio opamp has also an amazing Wow factor...:)

As I said before the problem is not that there is not any great affordable gear anymore but that there is too much affordable gear around nowdays so in total it makes it unaffordable...:)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  14. superuser1
    My stock pads are shedding if that makes any sense?!

15. koover
    Well I finally got around to modding the 99 classic with a 4 pin XLR. I was really concerned as these are so microphonic and easy to drive, but it all turned out very well. These have never sounded so good. I'm most surprised how well these scale up on some good source gear and material. I sent them in to Venus audio and he did the cup mod for me so it would accept the cable. Then he made me a nice custom cable that sounds excellent. He's a great guy and very accommodating. Maybe a bit slow but he's very busy with a lot of work. He has some nice cables that are very reasonably priced. Of course you can step up in quality like the cable I have as it's well worth it. They truly sing now. It's funny because I must keep the MJ2 on low gain at around 7-8AM/PM before it starts blowing out your ears. Maybe overkill but not It's well worth it to me. I have some much more expensive HP's and I gotta say, these sound just as good and I can't seem to find the will to switch over to anything else at this point. They sound THAT good. image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
First

Back
275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284
286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295
Next

Last