Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread
Aug 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #4,261 of 7,715
Surely, the control and authority Burson Play has over the entire sound :)

If you listen to Burson Play driving Meze 99 Classics you'll feel like more entry level sources can sound a bit loose, while with this, the sound has much better control and detail. It is like the bass gets a boost in resolution, which is really welcome for 99Classics as their driver can keep up.

I had a similar experience when using them with iFi Micro iDSD Black Label, similar bump in overall control and resolution

Thx,

so does Meze pairs well with those two option in comparison to Mojo for instance, or is it the matter of amplification which is not always present since 99 is more pushed towords plug and play type of crowd.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #4,262 of 7,715
I found a little DAC/AMP that really works amazingly well with Meze 99Classics :)

I also have both of Meze's new cables in for review, and I'll be looking into sharing my thoughts on them as soon as I can :)

If you ever need a really nice Desktop DAC/AMP to drive Meze 99 Classics, Burson Play does a sweet job :)

Audiophile_Heaven_Review_Burson_Play_Photo_39.jpg
Hey George what pads you rocking on there?

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #4,263 of 7,715
I don't think I've listened to my 99C with the Burson, will have to connect it this weekend. I don't do much desktop listening. I do know however is that my Amiron Home (Balanced cable with 2.5 to 3.5 adapter) sounds better directly from the Burson Air vs when I had the Magni 3 in the middle. More power doesn't always mean better sound.

Aug 1, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #4,265 of 7,715
If the more power is geared to me just to be clear, I'm interested more in realation generic phone integrated amp vs decent one.
More of a general statement but the 99C are geared toward plug and play BUT they defintely seem to scale a bit with better sources and can benefit from balanced cables & (IMO) Sheepskin pads

Aug 3, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #4,269 of 7,715
Noticed recently my beloved Meze 99C pads showing signs that it's time for replacement.

Thought it might be a good time to explore different pads and see how they change compared to the original. Was hunting up and down this thread as I recall reading numerous impression of alternative pads (fitting ATH-MSR7, M50X, Brainwavz) that might fit.

I came across stPad2 by Yaxi pads (fit guide is for ATH-M50X) - https://www.yaxi.jp/product-gallery/stpad2/

Anyone tried these before? I went to a local retailer with samples of the Yaxi stPad2 and after a brief listen, they leave me wanting to get a pair! Too bad they were out of stock at the moment.

Not sure if my ears are playing tricks on me but my impression is that the Yaxi stPad2 are comfortable and help control and reign in the bass (may be something to consider if you find the bass too 'boomy'). The stPad2 fit is made for ATH-MSR7 / M50X, as such fit-wise, it is not as snug like the original but it stays on well enough. It is also not as thick. The 'dome' shape does give more space to my ears (vs the original). I also switched and tried Yaxi stPad (standard version) and find that the standard version doesn't have the same effect I felt / heard with the stPad2.

Wondering if anyone tried Yaxi stPad2 and share the same impression?

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #4,270 of 7,715
Just received my first external DAC/Amp. I purchased the S.M.S.L M6 for the price of £130 off amazon, and I must say the soundstage has widened a bit and I can say the mid bass and lower bass have slightly better control on my Meze 99 Classics. Overall I'm fairly happy with it it's got the features I need and decent sound. I wonder if anyone has experienced a really WOW! impact with a under £200 dac.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #4,271 of 7,715
Just received my first external DAC/Amp. I purchased the S.M.S.L M6 for the price of £130 off amazon, and I must say the soundstage has widened a bit and I can say the mid bass and lower bass have slightly better control on my Meze 99 Classics. Overall I'm fairly happy with it it's got the features I need and decent sound. I wonder if anyone has experienced a really WOW! impact with a under £200 dac.
For one all inclusive DAC/amp not DIY solution for 200£ exact I would recommend ifi audio black nano.

Aug 3, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #4,272 of 7,715
For one all inclusive DAC/amp not DIY solution for 200£ exact I would recommend ifi audio black nano.
what about the WOW! factor on the ifi ? =)

Aug 3, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #4,273 of 7,715
what about the WOW! factor on the ifi ? =)
Ifi is WOW by definition. Because I have the ione which is super wow but more suitable to speakers I did not buy this. And since the xDSD is super wow as well but on 400£ the nano Black is excellent option for headphones and 200£. More or less these three options sound the same the functionalities are different. So do not think that you get less sound quality with nano in comparison to xDSD you just are getting less functionality which if you do not need anyway you are absolutely fine.

And I am emphasizing the all in one solution and also because you mentioned the DAC section. Because I can assure you that also the Burson audio opamp has also an amazing Wow factor...:)

As I said before the problem is not that there is not any great affordable gear anymore but that there is too much affordable gear around nowdays so in total it makes it unaffordable...:)

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #4,274 of 7,715
My stock pads are shedding if that makes any sense?!

Aug 11, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #4,275 of 7,715
Well I finally got around to modding the 99 classic with a 4 pin XLR. I was really concerned as these are so microphonic and easy to drive, but it all turned out very well. These have never sounded so good. I'm most surprised how well these scale up on some good source gear and material. I sent them in to Venus audio and he did the cup mod for me so it would accept the cable. Then he made me a nice custom cable that sounds excellent. He's a great guy and very accommodating. Maybe a bit slow but he's very busy with a lot of work. He has some nice cables that are very reasonably priced. Of course you can step up in quality like the cable I have as it's well worth it. They truly sing now. It's funny because I must keep the MJ2 on low gain at around 7-8AM/PM before it starts blowing out your ears. Maybe overkill but not It's well worth it to me. I have some much more expensive HP's and I gotta say, these sound just as good and I can't seem to find the will to switch over to anything else at this point. They sound THAT good.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back