METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jun 6, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #737 of 943
Any new impressions of the Balmung? Anyone bought these yet?

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #739 of 943
Don’t think they’re shipping yet.
Ok. I see the pre-order is now up at musicteck... Do we know when these will start to ship?

Jun 6, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #741 of 943
I think MMR said mid June? I’m not sure. Definitely intrigued by this one since it has the same shell as the Gae Bolg which is one of the best fitting IEMs I have used.
Andrew expects to have them by June 25 or thereabouts.

Jun 7, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #743 of 943
I want it to be Thummim?
If so we hear similar, IE900 would be a big unexpected surprise if it destroys Odin and Thummim.

My guess is the IE900 isn't even close to the other two.

Jun 7, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #744 of 943
Closest I can provide to a Balmung impression is my lil sister received them in Barcelona and said “they sound sooooo good”

I’ll be able to chime in on Friday but I think her description is probably more useful than anything I can add :D

4B361444-A3DE-4CEF-8D36-49F9D6531DC5.jpeg

Jun 7, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #745 of 943
Lovely shots Ryan. Those faceplates look amazing. What kind of camera gear are you using, btw?
Thanks man! I'm using an A7 III and two Amazon LED panels lol, nothing too fancy. Still have a lot to learn but was relatively happy with how these ones turned out. As Dan said, mirror faceplates are hell with smudges and dust but oh so rewarding when you get it right.
Any new impressions of the Balmung? Anyone bought these yet?
@Deezel177 Posted his impressions earlier in this thread, hope he doesn't mind me quoting him here:

"Well, fine. :D Right now, what I can say is that they're a very light, yet wet-sounding pair of IEMs. I'd compare them to a meadow at dawn; radiantly, yet softly lit - no sharp shadows or blown-out highlights - and kissed by the lightest mists of dew, which gives everything this soft, feathered glow. Instruments have a come-and-go that doesn't necessarily translate to the snappiest PRaT you'll ever hear, but it does make them sound incredibly natural. They're compensated by a black backdrop and a well-tidied image as well. They feel tailor-made for jazz or the emotional (rather than the studious) side of classical; unideal, perhaps, for genres that require sheer transient attack or contrast. They definitely have enough down low to deliver that oomph on R&B or hip-hop, but that resonant glow of the midrange is unshakeable. But, again, put on some Renee Olstead or some Anita Baker, and you're really, really set. I'll break it down further tonally and technically when I have the time. Until then, I'll be listening. Stay tuned."

I wrote up an impressions post here also. Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #746 of 943
Closest I can provide to a Balmung impression is my lil sister received them in Barcelona and said “they sound sooooo good”

I’ll be able to chime in on Friday but I think her description is probably more useful than anything I can add :D

4B361444-A3DE-4CEF-8D36-49F9D6531DC5.jpeg
The Balmung comes with the Eletech Column? That's interesting..The aesthetics is quite amazing btw!

Thanks man! I'm using an A7 III and two Amazon LED panels lol, nothing too fancy. Still have a lot to learn but was relatively happy with how these ones turned out. As Dan said, mirror faceplates are hell with smudges and dust but oh so rewarding when you get it right.

@Deezel177 Posted his impressions earlier in this thread, hope he doesn't mind me quoting him here:

"Well, fine. :D Right now, what I can say is that they're a very light, yet wet-sounding pair of IEMs. I'd compare them to a meadow at dawn; radiantly, yet softly lit - no sharp shadows or blown-out highlights - and kissed by the lightest mists of dew, which gives everything this soft, feathered glow. Instruments have a come-and-go that doesn't necessarily translate to the snappiest PRaT you'll ever hear, but it does make them sound incredibly natural. They're compensated by a black backdrop and a well-tidied image as well. They feel tailor-made for jazz or the emotional (rather than the studious) side of classical; unideal, perhaps, for genres that require sheer transient attack or contrast. They definitely have enough down low to deliver that oomph on R&B or hip-hop, but that resonant glow of the midrange is unshakeable. But, again, put on some Renee Olstead or some Anita Baker, and you're really, really set. I'll break it down further tonally and technically when I have the time. Until then, I'll be listening. Stay tuned."

I wrote up an impressions post here also. Cheers!

How does the Balmung compare against the Thummim? With the Thummim coming to EOL, i would reckon it's MMR's answer to a flagship replacement, at a much affordable region

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #747 of 943
The Balmung comes with the Eletech Column? That's interesting..The aesthetics is quite amazing btw!

How does the Balmung compare against the Thummim? With the Thummim coming to EOL, i would reckon it's MMR's answer to a flagship replacement, at a much affordable region
That column (and the bacakground) comes with the Aeneid; not the Balmung.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #748 of 943

Vs Thummim, the Balmung is noticeably warmer and smoother, more coherent. The Thummim is more dynamic and W-shaped, meaning more separation between bass, mids and highs, and also more energy. With its dynamic driver woofer, it has more extension and you can feel more pressure from the sub-bass. The Balmung on the other hand is more integrated, it sounds fuller and more organised but also not as vivid and engaging. The Thummim had a more ethereal soundstage, the Balmung has a tighter and more accurate image. Been a bit since I listened to Thummim that said, so take this with a grain of salt.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #749 of 943
Thank you for these impressions. Really helpful to those deciding between the Thummim and Balmung. Of course, I’m mindful of personal preferences, price points etc. But I think I’ll enjoy my Thummim when it arrives next week.

Jun 8, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #750 of 943
We need to secure a couple Balmung’s for AudioTiers!!! I'd love to compare them to my Thummim!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back