METAL MAGIC RESEARCH (Thoughts and impressions)
Jun 8, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #751 of 943
Hey, everyone. So, as promised, here are my further first impressions of the Balmung, along with photos and a comparison against the VE7. They aren’t the best pics I’ve ever taken, but I reckon getting these impressions out in a timely manner is a lot more important than making them look pretty right now. That’s something July/August-Daniel will have to worry about. :D

So, further expanding on what I’ve already revealed, as promised, here are my early, early impressions of MMR’s brand-new Balmung. The Balmung is an in-ear that, to me, comes off lush, radiant and organic, but without fully adopting the warm or buttery moniker. Its smoothness and wetness come with openness, nimbleness and air, which is a combination I can’t say I’ve heard often. Its aggregate colour balance to me lands somewhere around neutral, but its hallmarks of wetness, resonance and fullness definitely follow it across genre or artist or track.

MMR-BalmungFL-2_S.jpg

The closest equivalent I can draw to the Balmung - apart from the spring dawn comparison I drew earlier - would be the music of David Foster, funnily enough. Tracks like Celine Dion’s Because You Loved Me, Renee Olstead’s Love That Will Last or Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole’s Unforgettable - from their arrangements, to their production, etc. - fully epitomise the monitor’s signature; lush, intimate, glowing with reverb, yet clean and airy all the while. There isn’t the ultra-punchy, ultra-sharp contrasts you’d find in more modern music, where instruments are often truncated and (nearly) blown out. Again, there’s a lushness, steadiness and size to the Balmung that makes it superb for jazz or the more sweeping kinds of classical.

This mostly stems from its radiant mids. Lead vocalists sing loud and clear, and they project with size. But, at the same time, they’re refined and focused; not overtly shouty, oversaturated or thin. That’s what the 4kHz dip Ryan mentioned is for. It cuts out those nasally notes. That is then paired with extremes that support the mids, rather than overtly augment them. The bass supports those ballads with a strong, grounded foundation - weighty, full and thump-y - and it scents the midrange with a bit of body and heft. The highs accent vocals with articulation, but without taking attention away from the body of the note. The one colouration I’d note is the lighter low-mids, which takes away some of the gritty, gravelly tones of a Michael Bublé or a tom tom or a viola.

MMR-BalmungFL-1_S.jpg

Technically, the Balmung scores high everywhere it can. It doesn’t ace separation like a more clarity-tuned in-ear would, because its large, radiant notes naturally inhibit that. Its stage also isn’t the largest in the world. But, in terms of layering, resolving the individual textures of notes and how cleanly those notes pop in-and-out, the in-ear certainly does well. The only qualities that aren’t its fortes would, again, be raw dynamic contrast (or explosiveness), clinical separation and expansion. But, otherwise, as someone described earlier, a TOTL IEM tuned for jazz would be a pretty apt way to describe it.

Comparing the Balmung briefly to the VE7, the latter more embodies the traditional neutral or reference IEM. It has sharper lines, tighter instruments with more space between them, and it’s got a much lighter, more reined-in low-end too. The stereo image feels more spread out as a result, and its stage feels wider because of this as well. In terms of tone and balance, though, they aren’t far off at all. At the moment, I’d say t’s a matter of choosing whose presentation you prefer; the Balmung’s breezy, lush, organic response or the VE7’s tighter, cleaner, more precise delivery.

Jun 8, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #752 of 943
Hey, everyone. So, as promised, here are my further first impressions of the Balmung, along with photos and a comparison against the VE7. They aren’t the best pics I’ve ever taken, but I reckon getting these impressions out in a timely manner is a lot more important than making them look pretty right now. That’s something July/August-Daniel will have to worry about. :D

So, further expanding on what I’ve already revealed, as promised, here are my early, early impressions of MMR’s brand-new Balmung. The Balmung is an in-ear that, to me, comes off lush, radiant and organic, but without fully adopting the warm or buttery moniker. Its smoothness and wetness come with openness, nimbleness and air, which is a combination I can’t say I’ve heard often. Its aggregate colour balance to me lands somewhere around neutral, but its hallmarks of wetness, resonance and fullness definitely follow it across genre or artist or track.

MMR-BalmungFL-2_S.jpg

The closest equivalent I can draw to the Balmung - apart from the spring dawn comparison I drew earlier - would be the music of David Foster, funnily enough. Tracks like Celine Dion’s Because You Loved Me, Renee Olstead’s Love That Will Last or Nat King Cole & Natalie Cole’s Unforgettable - from their arrangements, to their production, etc. - fully epitomise the monitor’s signature; lush, intimate, glowing with reverb, yet clean and airy all the while. There isn’t the ultra-punchy, ultra-sharp contrasts you’d find in more modern music, where instruments are often truncated and (nearly) blown out. Again, there’s a lushness, steadiness and size to the Balmung that makes it superb for jazz or the more sweeping kinds of classical.

This mostly stems from its radiant mids. Lead vocalists sing loud and clear, and they project with size. But, at the same time, they’re refined and focused; not overtly shouty, oversaturated or thin. That’s what the 4kHz dip Ryan mentioned is for. It cuts out those nasally notes. That is then paired with extremes that support the mids, rather than overtly augment them. The bass supports those ballads with a strong, grounded foundation - weighty, full and thump-y - and it scents the midrange with a bit of body and heft. The highs accent vocals with articulation, but without taking attention away from the body of the note. The one colouration I’d note is the lighter low-mids, which takes away some of the gritty, gravelly tones of a Michael Bublé or a tom tom or a viola.

MMR-BalmungFL-1_S.jpg

Technically, the Balmung scores high everywhere it can. It doesn’t ace separation like a more clarity-tuned in-ear would, because its large, radiant notes naturally inhibit that. Its stage also isn’t the largest in the world. But, in terms of layering, resolving the individual textures of notes and how cleanly those notes pop in-and-out, the in-ear certainly does well. The only qualities that aren’t its fortes would, again, be raw dynamic contrast (or explosiveness), clinical separation and expansion. But, otherwise, as someone described earlier, a TOTL IEM tuned for jazz would be a pretty apt way to describe it.

Comparing the Balmung briefly to the VE7, the latter more embodies the traditional neutral or reference IEM. It has sharper lines, tighter instruments with more space between them, and it’s got a much lighter, more reined-in low-end too. The stereo image feels more spread out as a result, and its stage feels wider because of this as well. In terms of tone and balance, though, they aren’t far off at all. At the moment, I’d say t’s a matter of choosing whose presentation you prefer; the Balmung’s breezy, lush, organic response or the VE7’s tighter, cleaner, more precise delivery.
Thanks for the comparison. Nice photo, the inner blue looks a bit textured :relaxed:

Jun 8, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #754 of 943

MMR-BalmungFL-2_S.jpg

MMR-BalmungFL-1_S.jpg

Showoff! I wish I could get shots half as nice as your "substandard" shots. 😜

Great impressions! 👍

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #756 of 943

MMR-BalmungFL-2_S.jpg

MMR-BalmungFL-1_S.jpg

Thank you for the impressions Deezel! Would you say that the Balmung is lusher sounding compared with the VE7? Also, i noticed from your photos, the blue seems to be leather?

Jun 10, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #757 of 943
Thank you for the impressions Deezel! Would you say that the Balmung is lusher sounding compared with the VE7? Also, i noticed from your photos, the blue seems to be leather?
Yeah, the Balmung definitely has more wetness and looseness to it, relative to the VE7’s snappier, tighter notes. At the same time, though, they both equally straddle that neutral-natural tonality. The Balmung isn’t warmer or darker than the VE7 (not by much, at least), despite its lushness.

Jun 11, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #758 of 943
Thummim time. Currently listening to a 30 min epic instrumental song by Nightwish: All the works of nature which adorn the world. Give it a listen!

1623436149667.jpeg

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #760 of 943
Going to miss my Thummim, sent them in for some repairs as the right side has developed a weird ring. :’(
I too need to send my Plato cable to MMR as well, as right side died. :/
How did it develope that ring ? 🤔

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #762 of 943
How does this sound with the thummin?

Very good. The bass line works well with the Thummim's strong bass, combined with the wide soundstage for the melodies that overlay that. In general, I think the Thummim works well with dark, ominous or cinematic music. Probably my favorite IEM for metal.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #763 of 943
Going to miss my Thummim, sent them in for some repairs as the right side has developed a weird ring. :’(
"ring?"

what happened?

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #764 of 943
"ring?"

what happened?

It was there for awhile and I just put up with it until now. Not really sure what caused it.

I also get ‘static’ noise once in awhile which stops when I physically press on the amp which is really strange but continues when I let go then goes away by itself.

I suspect moisture from condensation as I got new air conditioning thats a lil too powerful. Was causing the paint on my walls to peel from all the condensation in the morning when I switch it off lol. Had to turn the temp up eventually.

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #765 of 943
I also get ‘static’ noise once in awhile which stops when I physically press on the amp which is really strange but continues when I let go then goes away by itself.
I noticed something similar with the A90. It is more sensitive to RFI than my other IEMs. I thought maybe because they are metal monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back