Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #2,596 of 3,070
call it "adaptive hedonism" or any other name......Im totally hooked... No amount of rehab will work.........Audio Junkie......
ph34r.gif

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,598 of 3,070
++++1
L3000.gif

Sep 12, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #2,600 of 3,070
Why would you want to go audio rehab? I would crazy without music.

Well let me explain. I bought AK120 and I auditioned few other amps with it and I started hating the sound of AK120 without amp to a point that I was distracted about why I have no amped hooked to it when I listened to music than the music itself. And ofcourse i could always amp the AK120 but that goes beyond the reason why I bough the AK120. 

So for a while I just did not use the AK120 and after few weeks I went back to AK120 and hooked my iem to it and I thought it sounded great without any amp. Now I will not risk amping it again as I forgot how good it sounded with an amp. I know it sounded better but since I cannot remember who great it was I dont really crave to amping.

I've also audition a lot of great gears that I could never afford, it left me not enjoying any of my gears so what I did was I just went back to the old apple earbuds used it for while and than switched back to my own gears and I once again appreciated the gears I had.

For server cases I prescribe audio rehab. Don't listen to your favorite song and you will be so opposed with music that you wouldnt care from what source you are hearing them from.

Those tricks works for me, I hope it works or you guys too. 

Sep 12, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #2,602 of 3,070
  Jan to the rescue - again.  I should refer all questions to you, Jan.  

My apologies!

Mike

<http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_162996_-1> is still the most powerful linear regulated wallwart I have found < 15V. Needs a sleeve adaptor though.

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #2,606 of 3,070
Hi everyone.

This may be a duplicated question. Is there any improvement in sound quality going up from 12 volt external power supply to 15 volt, using full size headphone? It is a little difficult to find a 15 volt regulated linear power supply but 12 volt is much easier to get.

Sep 20, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #2,607 of 3,070
Hi everyone.

This may be a duplicated question. Is there any improvement in sound quality going up from 12 volt external power supply to 15 volt, using full size headphone? It is a little difficult to find a 15 volt regulated linear power supply but 12 volt is much easier to get.

It depends on how inefficient your headphones are:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/507835/meier-audio-quickstep-also-stepdance-and-2stepdance-discussion-and-impressions-thread/2265#post_9530614

:)

Mike

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #2,608 of 3,070
Thank you, Mike.

I have a pair of HD600 and K501. After reading the post you recommended, I guess both are inefficient enough to use 15 volt power supply. I decided to get this power supply (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007933AL2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) though the shipping and handling fees are twice expensive than the PSU itself. :frowning2: I only hope this PSU will work well with my 2Stepdance. Do you have any experiences with it? Does different PSU generate different sound?

Sep 20, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #2,609 of 3,070
Finally found one local store that sales a 15 v regulated PSU, going to get it in few hours. I am impressed with how it is performing with battery, time to experiment a little with PSU. 

Hopefully it pushes T5p to the next level, that is the only thing that to my ears dont pair as good as I hoped it would but with my iem (except the ck100pro) quickstep proven to be a great amp. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #2,610 of 3,070
Thank you, Mike.

I have a pair of HD600 and K501. After reading the post you recommended, I guess both are inefficient enough to use 15 volt power supply. I decided to get this power supply (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007933AL2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) though the shipping and handling fees are twice expensive than the PSU itself. :frowning2: I only hope this PSU will work well with my 2Stepdance. Do you have any experiences with it? Does different PSU generate different sound?

I can only guess, as I have no experience with that PSU, but I think you will find it works well with the 2Stepdance, when set to 15V. It's "regulated," which we know is a must, per Jan Meier. But I suspect it's also a "switch-mode regulated" PSU rather than the more desirable, "linear regulated" PSU.

Some switch-mode PSUs can cause a hum or buzzing sound with some audio gear, and even though Jan Meier recommends linear regulated PSUs, several people in this thread are using less expensive switch-mode regulated PSUs with their Meier portable amps, and are still enjoying a black noise floor. You'll just have to test it to know for sure, but the odds are very high that it will be fine.

By the way, You might want to put a piece of tape over the voltage selector to make sure that it stays set to 15V, and make sure the connector is polarized to supply 15V+ at the tip, with 15V- at the ring (or barrel of the connector).

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back