Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 10, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #2,386 of 3,070
I am thinking of getting the Fiio X3 when it gets availble in Europe and pairing it with my Stepdance from the lod of the X3.

Jul 10, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #2,387 of 3,070
Quote:
I am thinking of getting the Fiio X3 when it gets availble in Europe and pairing it with my Stepdance from the lod of the X3.

Me too!  (In the U.S., though...)    
biggrin.gif

The proprietary, integrated, 96/24 sigma-delta DAC in my Sony PCM-M10 is a little bright a tiny bit grainy - and it would be nice to have a "real" DAP U.I. instead of a U.I. designed for recording files.

Mike

Jul 10, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #2,388 of 3,070
I'm considering getting a quickstep but the idea of a battery is a bit of a turn off so here come three stupid questions:
- What's a great rechargeable battery to use for this and how long is battery life normally?
- Can a rechargeable battery be charged in the Quickstep or do you have to remove it every time the power dies?
- What's it like when the battery is dying/dead? Is there a gradual reduction in sound quality or does it just stop? I'm assuming there's no battery life indicator?

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #2,389 of 3,070
I'm considering getting a quickstep but the idea of a battery is a bit of a turn off so here come three stupid questions:

- What's a great rechargeable battery to use for this?

I use these.

.. and how long is battery life normally?

It partially depends on the "low/high current" setting in the QS.  There are jumpers inside the QS to change this.  It comes from Jan in high current mode (I, and others, suggest leaving it in this mode, btw).  In high current mode, you can expect 10-12 hours of play time.

- Can a rechargeable battery be charged in the Quickstep or do you have to remove it every time the power dies?

A rechargeable battery cannot be charged in the QS.  It must be removed and recharged separately (i.e. with a charger your battery might have come with).  

- What's it like when the battery is dying/dead? Is there a gradual reduction in sound quality or does it just stop? I'm assuming there's no battery life indicator?

When the battery runs out, the sound simply stops.  No gradual attenuation or anything.  There is no battery indicator, but you'll know quite easily when your battery needs to be replaced.

Jul 11, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #2,393 of 3,070
Jul 13, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,395 of 3,070
I only get it when reception is really poor and the phone is using extra power to desperately latch onto a cell tower signal.

Jul 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,396 of 3,070
I am not hooked up to an iPhone but the Quickstep is often close to my Lumia 920. I was surprised after hearing no RF noise for the first couple of weeks when suddenly I had a bit. It is only in rare situations - a welcome improvement over the Stepdance.

Jul 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #2,397 of 3,070
I have it in EDGE situations when reception is very, very poor.  When I'm on 3G or 4G, I never get RF noise.  The trigger for RF noise on most sources/amps has been calls from other people.  I have never had it be a problem with the QuickStep.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #2,399 of 3,070
Mike what happen to your ibasso?

I still have the PB2 - it's design is crude compared to the Stepdance. I've hung onto it for its ability to produce a lot of power (with LME49990 op-amps in the input gain stage with HA5002 buffers, combined with 16VDC power - via an XP8000 and a switchable 16V-or-19V Willy Cable.) This translates to better portable dynamics with the LCD-2, but with an unmistakeable loss of fidelity, transparency, neutrality offered by the Stepdance. Basically, the PB2 is a fun toy for rolling opamps, where the Stepdance remains my goto for best possible portable SQ.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back