Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 24, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #226 of 3,070
Battery life is part of the trade-off.  I can only speak for a comparison between the Meier Headsix and the Stepdance, as these have been my only two amps.  The Headsix lasted at least 50 hours and was a fair bit smaller, but I find the difference in SQ is absolutely worth it.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #227 of 3,070
Yeah, that's the thing about the current competitive landscape of portable headphone amps - it's really crowded. This amp is optimized purely for sound quality, not for battery life. There are plenty of other amps out there, including as mentioned several from Meier, that are optimized more for battery life. But there is a trade off in SQ then.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #228 of 3,070
It's interesting that more than a few people here complain about 6-10 hours battery life in an amp optimized to double the voltage swing and drive full size phones, but I don't see many complaints about the iBasso D4 which has the same battery life and half the voltage swing.  

With the D4 I can't keep the amp plugged into the wall for power, because that activates the DAC and/or only gives it a voltage of 5v to run the amp with a computer if the battery is dead.  The Stepdance can be plugged into the wall with 12v power supply when the battery is dead, and match the power of some desktop amps like EF2, Nuforce Icon or Travagans Red and even the Meier Headfive.  This is great for pairing with a Pico DAC or uDAC-2 and a computer at home or work, or in a hotel room when traveling, or just for listening out on the back patio watching the sun set.

I think the Stepdance is a little large for stacking under a nano or iPhone, to listen to IEM on the go and in a pocket.  I just don't think that was the intended market for this product.  Now, if I have a tiny amp that will always go with me and my Nano, then I definitely want good battery life.  I don't even want to have to plug it in every night.  A rechargeable amp with 6-10 hours battery life and non-removeable battery would be a huge mistake.  At least for people traveling with the Stepdance they can pop in a fresh battery at the airport, instead of having to look for a spot to plug it into the wall to charge.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #229 of 3,070

Quote:
Yeah, that's the thing about the current competitive landscape of portable headphone amps - it's really crowded. This amp is optimized purely for sound quality, not for battery life. There are plenty of other amps out there, including as mentioned several from Meier, that are optimized more for battery life. But there is a trade off in SQ then.

Quote:
It's interesting that more than a few people here complain about 6-10 hours battery life in an amp optimized to double the voltage swing and drive full size phones, but I don't see many complaints about the iBasso D4 which has the same battery life and half the voltage swing.  

With the D4 I can't keep the amp plugged into the wall for power, because that activates the DAC and/or only gives it a voltage of 5v to run the amp with a computer if the battery is dead.  The Stepdance can be plugged into the wall with 12v power supply when the battery is dead, and match the power of some desktop amps like EF2, Nuforce Icon or Travagans Red and even the Meier Headfive.  This is great for pairing with a Pico DAC or uDAC-2 and a computer at home or work, or in a hotel room when traveling, or just for listening out on the back patio watching the sun set.

I think the Stepdance is a little large for stacking under a nano or iPhone, to listen to IEM on the go and in a pocket.  I just don't think that was the intended market for this product.  Now, if I have a tiny amp that will always go with me and my Nano, then I definitely want good battery life.  I don't even want to have to plug it in every night.  A rechargeable amp with 6-10 hours battery life and non-removeable battery would be a huge mistake.  At least for people traveling with the Stepdance they can pop in a fresh battery at the airport, instead of having to look for a spot to plug it into the wall to charge.

Well put from both of you.  It comes down to how you want to use it and with what IMO.  I love being able to power my LCD-2 while moving around the house with the Stepdance.  I just received the Pico Slim that has a distinct size advantage and longer battery life.  Based on my initial listening with IEMs, the sound quality gap between the two isn't all that large; it is more about sound signature differences.  But I will know more over time.  HPA, I think you have both and probably have already compared the two, any comments?

As far as listening time, 10 hours is plenty for me, and I think with a 600 mAh battery it might be closer to 12 hours.  However, if you easily double your battery life by bringing a spare battery and can extend it even further with ease.  For travel purposes, the iPower charger I have is tiny and travels well.

And while I only own one of the HiTech 600 mAh batteries, I would recommend this kit for the Stepdance.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #230 of 3,070
My feeling is as a product, the Stepdance tries to capture both portability and small desktop markets. Portability means small, light and long battery life for IEMs. Desktop means HP and IEMs with less concern for size, weight and battery life since one will use a power supply. Ofcourse it has to sound excellent in both applications. Having said that, as a small desktop, its excellent. But as a portable I don't know.

Quote:

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #231 of 3,070

Quote:
Well put from both of you.  It comes down to how you want to use it and with what IMO.  I love being able to power my LCD-2 while moving around the house with the Stepdance.  I just received the Pico Slim that has a distinct size advantage and longer battery life.  Based on my initial listening with IEMs, the sound quality gap between the two isn't all that large; it is more about sound signature differences.  But I will know more over time.  HPA, I think you have both and probably have already compared the two, any comments?

As far as listening time, 10 hours is plenty for me, and I think with a 600 mAh battery it might be closer to 12 hours.  However, if you easily double your battery life by bringing a spare battery and can extend it even further with ease.  For travel purposes, the iPower charger I have is tiny and travels well.

And while I only own one of the HiTech 600 mAh batteries, I would recommend this kit for the Stepdance.

Most of my experience with the Stepdance was with two prototypes in March of this year that I auditioned for Jan.  I emailed him impressions about what I thought, and which version was better with which phones.  One model was just a little better than the other, and other listener's agreed with my impressions so that's the design that Jan ran with.  I have not bought a Stepdance yet, but I'm going to once I have some bills paid off.  

So I compared the two prototypes to my RSA Protector, opamp rolled D4 and D10, 3MOVE, XM5, DACport and others, but the Pico Slim didn't arrive for another couple of months if I recall.  So, I never compared the Slim to the particular Stepdance that Jan put into production.  I do believe that the Slim's sound is on a similar level to the Stepdance that did not go into production, which is slightly more laid back than the production Stepdance.  The production Stepdance is slightly more energetic without becoming too aggressive.  Both prototypes were good, but I just preferred the signature of one with most phones better.

In comparison, the Pico Slim sounds good with an HD800 in terms of sound signature.  But it can't go past moderate volume levels because it's underpowered with them, and so bass impact suffers. The balanced Protector can drive the HD800 to loud levels like the single ended Stepdance, but the Protector sounds brighter and more fatiguing than the Stepdance with the HD800.  The balanced Protector sounds better with HD600 and HE-5 than it does with HD800, but I thought the Stepdance drove those phones just as well, and without needing special cables and adapters.  Single ended I feel the Protector is lacking in power for the HD600/800, but it's not bad.  On the other hand the HE-5 sounded terrible in single ended mode from the Protector (thin and bright), while the Stepdance drove them better single ended than my other portable amps.  This was with a 12 and 15v 4.5A regulated power supply for laptops (15v okay for proto, not sure about production).

My LA7000 and HF-2 are single ended phones that I thought they worked better with the Stepdance than either my single ended Protector or Pico Slim (or D4/10).  With those two phones as well as with the HD600 the 3MOVE was actually not too far behind.  However, all of these amps are in the top tier of portable amps, and the improvements going from one to another are not huge (except in the differences in power).  It seems the Stepdance, Protector (balanced not single ended) and 3MOVE have a good bit of power, the XM5 and D4 were close but not up to the same levels, while the D10 was just a little above the Slim which had the least power.  The Pico Slim is geared towards the low impedance IEM market, and the Stepdance is geared toward the high impedance or full size headphone market - Apples and Oranges.  Everyone should have one of each.  
cool.gif

Quote:
My feeling is as a product, the Stepdance tries to capture both portability and small desktop markets. Portability means small, light and long battery life for IEMs. Desktop means HP and IEMs with less concern for size, weight and battery life since one will use a power supply. Ofcourse it has to sound excellent in both applications. Having said that, as a small desktop, its excellent. But as a portable I don't know.

I still haven't found an "all-in-one" portable amp that does all categories better than all the other competition. I would say the iBasso D4 is more flexible and versatile, apart from it's poor battery life.  But choosing one amp always seems to be a compromise.  The D4 is not as large as the Stepdance/3MOVE, but it's still not as portable as the Slim.  It's got more power in 9v mode than Slim, but still can't match the power of the Stepdance.  With upgraded opamps it sounds like a P-51 clone and is only a little behind the Stepdance in sound, so one could give up that little bit of sound quality in return for a DAC and better portability.  But, the D4 is still a little underpowered with HD600/800/HE-5 and that's where the Stepdance comes in.  My Macbook > Pico Slim > Stepdance is a bit better with HD600/800/HE-5 than the Macbook > D4.  

In the long run I'd rather have the Pico DAC + Slim + Stepdance, and then I could live without all the other portable amps and just alternate between the two as needed, depending on what I was listening with and where.  In my case I keep all the amps that I have for doing reviews and comparisons; but in the real world I'd just have the minimal pieces of gear with one DAC and two different amps to cover all my IEM and phones.  average_joe has the right idea by having both amps. (I picked the Pico DAC because it works well with iPad and Macbook, and being separate means it doesn't add weight and size to my Pico Slim when I just want to amp an iPod - plus I hook up two amps to the DAC via RCA and 3.5mm at the same time).

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #232 of 3,070
@HPA

Any impressions of the Stepdance v. DACport?  Feel free to chime on w/ the Pico DAC and Slim if you feel like.  
wink_face.gif

I was considering the Stepdance but I keep looking at the measurements and portability turns into transportability in my mind.

@AJ  How do you like your Slim v. Arrow?

Sorry for the OT.

Sep 25, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #233 of 3,070
I can see where some might not regard the Stepdance as the ideal portable amp for IEMs but some of us happily use it that way. For me it's a no brainer; SQ first. The digital volume control and swapable batteries are also central to my decision. I quite like the form factor for my primary use, i.e. as a transportable.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #234 of 3,070
I would love to hear a comparison of Stepdance to TTVJ portable hybrid.  
with all these new portable amps, just wondering if I am missing much... though I'm still quite happy with my TTVJ.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #235 of 3,070
Quote:
I would love to hear a comparison of Stepdance to TTVJ portable hybrid.  
with all these new portable amps, just wondering if I am missing much... though I'm still quite happy with my TTVJ.

Well if your global citizenship brings you to Shanghai, we must do a sound-off. The TTVJ Millet hybrid is one of the portable amps out there that continues to intrigue me.

Sep 25, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #236 of 3,070

Quote:
Well if your global citizenship brings you to Shanghai, we must do a sound-off. The TTVJ Millet hybrid is one of the portable amps out there that continues to intrigue me.

will gladly do if i ever get to Shanghai (actually its on my priority list. hopefully next year sometime..)
in the meantime, if you ever feel like taking a holiday on a tropical island with lovely beaches and warm sunny days, you are more than welcome to come and visit us here on Guam 
biggrin.gif
as for the TTVJ, I do think very highly of this amp..lots of power with lovely tonality and a touch of tube softness..

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #237 of 3,070

Quote:
@HPA

Any impressions of the Stepdance v. DACport?  Feel free to chime on w/ the Pico DAC and Slim if you feel like.  
wink_face.gif

I was considering the Stepdance but I keep looking at the measurements and portability turns into transportability in my mind.

@AJ  How do you like your Slim v. Arrow?

Sorry for the OT.

I'll have to dig out my notes from a few months back, and see if I put anything down specific about that comparison.  I do recall the Stepdance had more power, and I think that the DACport was slightly more laid back sounding.

Sep 25, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #238 of 3,070
@cooperpwc: Are you located in Shanghai? I have TTVJ portable (not the millet hybrid portable) with me and I'm going to Shanghai tomorrow, will be there for a week or so. PM me if you want to meet up and do a TTVJ slim vs meier stepdance comparison. I've been wondering the performance of stepdance for quite a while.

Sep 26, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #239 of 3,070

Quote:
@cooperpwc: Are you located in Shanghai? I have TTVJ portable (not the millet hybrid portable) with me and I'm going to Shanghai tomorrow, will be there for a week or so. PM me if you want to meet up and do a TTVJ slim vs meier stepdance comparison. I've been wondering the performance of stepdance for quite a while.

Hey, I live in Shanghai! I would love if we could all meet up and sample gear (I am currently in the market for a portable amp, but as of now I just have my iPhone 3gs and my jh16s, so I have little to bring to the table). Let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back