Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #2,701 of 3,070
Quickstep clarity and treble detail is top notch what I wish it had a better bass impact. Ordered the regulated 15 VDC PSU that should arrive next week, I've read that the increase voltage swing is likely to fill in the bass a bit.

I just it had a few more dB when paired with IM04, so close yet far enough for me.

Still the clarity is amazing bass light music. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #2,702 of 3,070
Hi audionewbi,

Quote:
  Quickstep clarity and treble detail is top notch what I wish it had a better bass impact. Ordered the regulated 15 VDC PSU that should arrive next week, I've read that the increase voltage swing is likely to fill in the bass a bit.

I just it had a few more dB when paired with IM04, so close yet far enough for me.

Still the clarity is amazing bass light music. 

Dynamics, bass energy and control will improve if you are currently using headphones that are underpowered by Quickstep.  If you are currently using IEMs or very efficient headphones, you aren't likely to hear an improvement by going from 9V to 15V.

This begs the question:  Which IEMs or headphones are you using, currently?

smile.gif

Mike

Feb 2, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #2,703 of 3,070
Thanks for the reply back. Currently I am mostly using the new audio technica IM04. I've notice when I increase the gain sound improves but bass still not hitting the same way as it does with amps like 627x.

Sadly the pairing with T5p was too bright for my liking .

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2,704 of 3,070
That may have been the fault of the T5p not suiting your tastes.  Most of Beyer's headphones have too little bass energy for my tastes, as well.

In my opinion, your IM04 are so efficient, you will not get the big change in bass energy and control (or dyanmics) that many Stepdance/Quickstep owners have experienced when going to a 15V supply with inefficient, power-hungry headphones.

The good news is that you won't be running down your batteries when operating near an AC outlet, and you'll be equipped to try some less efficient phones.

In my opinion, a very affordable, yet still efficient headphone (15V not required) that has a "fun" sound (not neutral), with a very appealing bass performance, is the Sennheiser Amperior.  I can't be sure, but I think it's what you are looking for and it sounds great when fed a neutral, transparent signal, the likes of which your Quickstep can deliver.  I call it the poor man's LCD-2.  Not the same, for sure, but in that direction.  
wink.gif

I say "very affordable" because the Amperior has been discontinued and can be found on sale at several places.

Newegg has them at a crazy low price of $139, currently:  
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=COCBnP-wrbwCFelZ7AodiGEAkQ&Item=N82E16826106684

Have a look at Amazon and 3rd Party price history for the Amperior, here:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-Amperior-Blue-Headphones/product/B0070U6N6I

See Tyll Hertsens' written and video reviews of the Amperior, here:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/most-excellent-sennheiser-amperior-and-hd-25-1-ii

Let me add...  The Amperior is my second most favorite headphone, overall, after the LCD-2, currently or previously owned.  Just be warned that it's somewhat "theatrical" - not for people who demand tonal accuracy.  Still, it loves a neutral, transparent signal (Quickstep) - mixing colors doesn't work.

Mike

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:59 AM Post #2,705 of 3,070
Thanks for the reply back. Currently I am mostly using the new audio technica IM04. I've notice when I increase the gain sound improves but bass still not hitting the same way as it does with amps like 627x.

Sadly the pairing with T5p was too bright for my liking .

understand that you have the ck100pro, do you mind giving some notes on the synergy between the ck100pro and this quickstep amp? and also what dap would give u the best synergy with this amp and ck100pro

thanks brother !

Feb 3, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #2,706 of 3,070
understand that you have the ck100pro, do you mind giving some notes on the synergy between the ck100pro and this quickstep amp? and also what dap would give u the best synergy with this amp and ck100pro

thanks brother !

For sure but I find ck100pro not really to need any amping. I will try it with Meir audio this week and let you know again.

Fro memory the sound becomes too revealing and bright. I honestly enjoy it right out of ipod. I have a certain bias towards ck100prk.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #2,707 of 3,070
For sure but I find ck100pro not really to need any amping. I will try it with Meir audio this week and let you know again.

Fro memory the sound becomes too revealing and bright. I honestly enjoy it right out of ipod. I have a certain bias towards ck100prk.

thank you brother, I look forward to that. do you also happen to have any meier amps (portable ones) that has crossfeed feature?

what you said is in sync with what I have heard from numerous ck100pro owners, where amping would not really benefit the iem, EXCEPT for one combination, which is ipod and fostex hp-p1.. have you tried that ? I tried it on a friend's hp-p1 and it really made the ck100pro sing !

Feb 3, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #2,708 of 3,070
No sadly i have never had the chance to try the hp-p1 for long. Right now i am using the meir audio and ck100pro and i can say the pairing is bright and revealing with neutral bass and mids.

that is nit really my taste as it is too analytical.

i sadly do not own any other meir audio product.

Feb 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,709 of 3,070
The charger arrived, the LED light is on when it is connected to the PSU, is that normal?

I noticed that when it is running on the PSU the off feature is disabled, is that normal?

EDIT: Yes seems to be okay, just searched the thread. 

Feb 25, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,715 of 3,070
I'm a happy Quickstep owner here. I have no regret I got it over Pico Slim. I really love the Slim, I mean the look of it, and it is extremely tiny. But heard reviews and comparisons over and over that the Slim is really good for its size, but no way near the Quickstep. I had been looking for a proper portable amp, which matches and drive my ultra sensitive CIEM properly. So, it has to be near 0 Omh output. The quickstep is a lot larger than the Slim, however, it is still considerably small for portable, and it is cheaper. I absolutely love it. I've never tried the Slim, but don't care much for now. The Quickstep is extremely refined, yet, fast and dynamic. It is definitely one of the best amp money can get for CIEM, I use it almost daily and I don't think I would think of anyway of upgrading. It will be the best for me for a long time! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back