Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 25, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,216 of 3,070
I saw your ad... I thought about it, but I've sunk so much into the DIY already I can't really justify spending the money on a Stepdance when I'm already planning on building the active balanced ground circuit separately.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:18 AM Post #1,217 of 3,070

GG,

Quote:
Question is: Can you ignore the curiosity?

Oh yes, I am curious about how my LCD-2s would sound with more power, but I know from the A to A+ ratings that Skylab's review has given across multiple characteristics, that the Stepdance is very neutral and transparent, that it has qualities to which every amp should aspire, and I know from direct observation in my experiments with increasing the Stepdance supply voltage to achieve an increase in Watts output to the headphones, that more Watts gives you only what comes with more headroom, which is admittedly a precious thing, but it's NOT everything that I want in an amp. 

There are. no doubt. many amps out there that are more powerful than a Stepdance, but are they as accurate, as neutral, as transparent?  I will stick my neck out here and suggest that there are very few amps, solid state or tube, that can compete with the best attributes of the Stepdance. 

I did my homework before buying a Stepdance and I bought it specifically with the goal of powering the LCD-2.  I knew I wanted the LCD-2, but I also wanted the least-expensive amp that was truly worthy of its neutralness and accuracy.  The Stepdance has proven to fit the bill very nicely.  I'm now enjoying a huge jump in headroom and all that comes with it (thanks to the 123.7% increase in output voltage to the phones had with bumping the supply voltage from 8.4V with internal batteries toa 15V external battery).

So... yes, I'm curious about how the LCD-2 would sound with even more power, but I am very confident that any amp which can provide that extra power while simultaneously matching the all that is wonderful about the Stepdance would be very expensive, if such an amp even exists.  I realize that's a pretty strong statement, but seriously, there's more to good sound than headroom. 

Mike

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #1,218 of 3,070

Quote:
Quick question to LCD 2 owners, do you find the Stepdance has enough power for the headphones to shine( bearing in mind I will be running my Stepdance at 15v once the cable arrives!)

[snip]

Ian,

I use the Stepdance on Low Gain with the LCD-2 and find that with most recordings, I run with the volume control at about 40 to 50%, but I have a few recordings, especally those from the Telarc label, where they are trying to take advantage of the entire dynamic range of 16-bit audio, that sound best with the volume turned nearly all the way up (in Low Gain).  I never feel a need to switch the Stepdance into High Gain with the LCD-2 and many people have reported in this thread that the Stepdance actually sounds better in Low Gain with the LCD-2 than in High Gain, anyway.  I agree.

Mike

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #1,219 of 3,070

Quote:

Ian,

I use the Stepdance on Low Gain with the LCD-2 and find that with most recordings, I run with the volume control at about 40 to 50%, but I have a few recordings, especally those from the Telarc label, where they are trying to take advantage of the entire dynamic range of 16-bit audio, that sound best with the volume turned nearly all the way up (in Low Gain).  I never feel a need to switch the Stepdance into High Gain with the LCD-2 and many people have reported in this thread that the Stepdance actually sounds better in Low Gain with the LCD-2 than in High Gain, anyway.  I agree.

Mike

Thanks for that Mike.
I experience similar things especially with certain Jazz recordings or classical where I have to turn the volume up more, I did  not know the reason why until now and that makes complete sense! I got a new version of Parsifal the other day, the new Gergiev recording live and the Mariinsky and noticed that one needs a touch more volume!

Though I recently fell in love again with the sound of my Stax set up last night I was back to the stepdance, the qualities you mention bring so much life to the music. I have the tips, I am just hoping the willy cable arrives today so that I can start to enjoy the extra that comes with more power! Oh yes, and like you I much prefer the more natural presentation that low gain brings!

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,220 of 3,070
On Ian's advice, I bought the Stepdance and Denon D5000 to go with my iMod and OBOY the combination has opened up a whole new sonic adventure.

Lately I've been taken with classical organ music and was fortunate to find Bach's complete organ works at Amazon, plus a few other composers' works I've admired for awhile.  I'm constantly amazed at the depth of bass and soundstage impact the Stepdance/D5000 provides to these organ works, esp. some of the organs from Bach's time that are still being used

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,221 of 3,070

Congratulations tnmike1,

I feel as if there's so much music out there that I know nothing about - and worst of all, I have to pace myself in buying CDs or downloading music.  I have this constant annoying feeling that there's something out there I would really enjoy hearing, but I'm going to miss out on it.  But for Pandora, I wouldn't have had near the exposure I've managed thus far.

Does anyone know of any lists of properly recorded albums sorted by genre?  Every once in awhile, I stumble onto a thread where someone has asked for a list of "good audiophile recordings," but I'm looking for that pot-of-gold master list that's highly respected, if such a thing exists.

Mike

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #1,222 of 3,070

Quote:

Congratulations tnmike1,

I feel as if there's so much music out there that I know nothing about - and worst of all, I have to pace myself in buying CDs or downloading music.  I have this constant annoying feeling that there's something out there I would really enjoy hearing, but I'm going to miss out on it.  But for Pandora, I wouldn't have had near the exposure I've managed thus far.

Does anyone know of any lists of properly recorded albums sorted by genre?  Every once in awhile, I stumble onto a thread where someone has asked for a list of "good audiophile recordings," but I'm looking for that pot-of-gold master list that's highly respected, if such a thing exists.

Mike

Mike,
Monotune suggested a thread dedicated to that on the solo thread. I think it would be a great data base! I know when I am looking for classical there are a great many sites I stumble upon that give good reviews of various recordings. I will do a bit more research and see if I can find anything!

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #1,224 of 3,070
I told Ian where I found my complete box set of Bach Organ Music--it is on Amazon and recorded by Ton Koopman.  Selling for around $60 used and $88 new, although Amazon is currently out of stock.

Regarding where to find such things: I bought at a second hand bookstore Penguin's guide to classical music--2008 edition.  In it, composers are listed alphabetically with subsections within the composer.  As an example, Bach is divided into many categories: choral, organ, concerto, etc etc. Within the categories are CDs the editors feel are the ones that are exemplary.  Under "organ" I found Ton Koopman as one they highly recommended and, fortunately, Amazon had the collection.

Other composers have similar listings.  THis is NOT a bio of the composers but rather the most current CDs of most all of their works.  Selections are available for both the American and European markets, so the volume is quite comprehensive.

Mar 26, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #1,226 of 3,070
Another good series are the "Rough Guides:--I've got Rough Guide to Classical Music, Rough Guide to Opera and now lookign for Rough Guide to Jazz.  These three volumes list the best CDs of various composers and musicians, plus "boxes" explaining certain aspects of music; i.e what a "fugue" is, in the case of the opera book hstory of the castrati, etc.  Not as complete as Penguin but more information on the musicians and musical genres.

Just on Amazon and notice they have the Penguin Guide to Classical Music 2010 for $26.10; the Rough Guide is $19.98.  These are new, but I usually try to find them in better used bookstores.  I think I paid not over $10 each for my volumes, albeit they're a few years old.  But for the money, can't beat either the Penguins or the Rough Guides

Mar 28, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #1,227 of 3,070

Quote:
[snip]

As of yesterday, this Level 1 guy at the Tip Finder Service has decided that no such tip exists, but he has escalated the ticket to his "Tip Developers" for further research (whatever that means). Thus far, I've withheld the fact that I've already purchased the PowerStream connector assortment to solve this problem.  I plan to divulge that information only if (when) they give up.

Believe it or not, after several exchanges with a Level 1 guy at the XPAL Tip Finder Service, in which I've been expressing  how well-suited the XP8000 is for use with portable audio gear and how readily many of us will drop 100 dollars for the sake of sound quality or convenience with our expensive, power-hungry amps and headphones, he sent a reply today saying that his Developers have agreed to create a prototype cable that's basically a WI15 with a permanently attached tip of the correct size for the Stepdance. 

He says it may take "several days".   Then they will ship it to me and let me test it.  If I report that it works well, with no issues, they will then consider offering it via their XPAL Tip Finder database, where it would be a special part number (WI15-S?) dedicated for the purpose of using an XP8000 or XP18000 to supply 15V to the Meier-Audio Corda Stepdance (or any other 15V device, of course, that requires that size tip). 

Apparently, they have a long history of satisfying their Free Tips for Life customers, which includes prototyping and then manufacturing one-off tips or cables for odd devices.  In other words, they don't seem to be too very concerned about how many Stepdance owners will buy an XP8000 and order the special cable, because they are  all made to order at first and if another device comes along that can use that part number, the new device or devices get matched with that same part number in their database.  

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Mike

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #1,228 of 3,070

Quote:
Believe it or not, after several exchanges with a Level 1 guy at the XPAL Tip Finder Service, in which I've been expressing  how well-suited the XP8000 is for use with portable audio gear and how readily many of us will drop 100 dollars for the sake of sound quality or convenience with our expensive, power-hungry amps and headphones, he sent a reply today saying that his Developers have agreed to create a prototype cable that's basically a WI15 with a permanently attached tip of the correct size for the Stepdance. 

He says it may take "several days".   Then they will ship it to me and let me test it.  If I report that it works well, with no issues, they will then consider offering it via their XPAL Tip Finder database, where it would be a special part number (WI15-S?) dedicated for the purpose of using an XP8000 or XP18000 to supply 15V to the Meier-Audio Corda Stepdance (or any other 15V device, of course, that requires that size tip). 

Apparently, they have a long history of satisfying their Free Tips for Life customers, which includes prototyping and then manufacturing one-off tips or cables for odd devices.  In other words, they don't seem to be too very concerned about how many Stepdance owners will buy an XP8000 and order the special cable, because they are  all made to order at first and if another device comes along that can use that part number, the new device or devices get matched with that same part number in their database.  

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Mike

Mike.
This would not have happened if it were not for your dedication to pursuing this, thank you!

My guess is that as soon as my cable arrives I will be then placing an order for the new one! Great service from XPal! I can't wait to hear your thoughts!

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #1,229 of 3,070
Wow Mike, that's great news! Thank you for your perseverance in this subject matter.

As for XPAL, not too satisfied with their CS and ship-out-time. I'm still waiting on the WI15 and NB05....

Mar 29, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #1,230 of 3,070

Quote:
Wow Mike, that's great news! Thank you for your perseverance in this subject matter.

As for XPAL, not too satisfied with their CS and ship-out-time. I'm still waiting on the WI15 and NB05.

I ordered my cable on the 18th and fully expect it to be at least two weeks knowing how long it takes to ship here! By which time I will order the custom cable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back