Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,477 of 3,070
Aug 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #2,478 of 3,070

Yes, I think it would be fine, but don't go higher than 15V and make sure you attach the tip to achieve the correct (center-positive) polarity. And you might want to test the tip voltage and polarity with a voltmeter before attaching it. Lastly, a piece of packing tape over the red selector switch wouldn't be a bad idea, either.

:)

Aug 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #2,479 of 3,070
Thanks Mike....As usual your sharing of knowledge liberally in this thread is awesome.........Must be that Texan Hospitality.....
size]

Aug 24, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2,483 of 3,070

Note how the power jack diagram shows positive at the center and negative outside. Each tip in that tip assortment will be marked to show how to achieve center positive vs. center negative polarity. You just reverse the tip's two prongs in the socket to get the opposite polarity. It's obvious once you see it.

The tip size you need for the QuickStep is most likely the one that's the 4th from the left in his photo. If not that one, then it's the 5th. Try it before connecting the tip to the power cord.

Mike

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:46 PM Post #2,485 of 3,070
Hi Mike,
as you have a large headphone amp inventory and experience, is there a desktop amp that is sound wise superior to the Stepdance by a big margin? I have only low ohm cans and only the AKG K702 is "hard to drive". I ask that because whenever I recommend the Stepdance/2Stepdance/Quickstep series, someone jumps in and states that only stationary amps can make headphones really shine. And I am talking about the 15 volt XP8000 powered Stepdance. I feel that this power supply makes it much bigger as it is on 9 volt.

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #2,486 of 3,070
The admonition that portable amps can't compete with desktop amps, as a general statement, is ridiculous, in my opinion, for most headphones. The 15V-powered Stepdance family of portables can compete even with the Meier Classic or any orther desktop amp with all but the most inefficient headphones, like the HE-6, or with high impedance headphones like the Beyerdynamic T1. There are other reasons to get a desktop amp than just wanting "more power." Those reasons, such as a desire for a less neutral, warmer frequency response, to compensate an overly bright DAC or headphone, for example, lead people to get tube amps as a good match for the HD800 or T1.

The LCD-2 and LCD-3 sound great on the 15V Stepdance. Can they sound better still with more power? Abolutely, but you can find yourself enjoying the additional bass control and improved dynamics that accompany lots of power, while losing out on desireable traits offered by the Stepdance. The Schiit Lyr puts our lots pf power, but it destroys fine detail - and it doesn't matter what tubes you roll, that amp is low-rez - low enough that I can hear the loss of resolution compared to the 15V Stepdance when using the not so highly resolving LCD-2. The higher resolving LCD-3 would be even more revealing of the Lyr's "fuzziness." For me, the Lyr's dynamics that come with more power are had at too great a cost, so I'd rather listen to the LCD-2 with a 15V Stepdance any day! And then there's the colorations added by the Lyr. For my tastes, the LCD-2 is already colored just perfectly or use with a neutral source and amp. If I want more power for the LCD-2, it simply must be as neutral and transparent (grainless) as the Stepdance.

I sold my Burson Soloist, despite the craftsmanship and discrete electronics, because with only 1.28 Watts rms per channel into 50-Ohms, it didn't offer any real improvement in dynamics for a headphone that can handle up to 13 Watts per channel. In fact, I found it to be so "relaxed" and unassertive as to have less dynamics than my 680mW per channel into 50-Ohm CEntrance DACmini CX, which sells for $200 less and includes a very nice DAC. The Soloist was "boring" to my ears, with a 10th-row sound staging vs. the DACmini CX or Stepdance putting me right on stage. About the only thing I miss with the Soloist's absense is its incredibly smooth yet still very detailed highs - yes, better than the Stepdance in this one trait and definitely better than the DACmini CX, which sounds just a liitle bit etched in the treble - barely detectable with LCD-2 or LCD-3, but moreso with the unforgiving Beyer T1 and, I suspect with the HD800.
Otherwise, the DACmini CX remains the only amp I've bought that has the same neutral, highly resolving, and (nearly as) transparent sound of the Stepdance. In fact, I've often commented that CEntrance and Meier seem to have the same design goals.

I'm about to sell an Emotiva Mini-X a-100 because it's just too bright and harsh in the treble for my tastes, even though it offers terrific resolution, as well as the bass control and dynamics one would expect with about 8 Watts per channel into the LCD-2's 50-Ohm impedance. So, this particular solid state amp is even more powerful than the Schiit Lyr hybrid and has none of the Lyr's "fuzziness" or warmth, but came with other problems that simply don't exist with the spectacularly neutral and transparent Stepdance.

You might be wondering why I haven't tried the Meier Classic... It's because I've repeatedly heard that the Classic is warm - warm enough to fix the coldness of a Beyerdynamic T1, for example - that's supposed to be a great match - one of the few solid state amps that works as well with the T1 as many tube amps that serve that purpose well.

Again, I want a Stepdance on steroids - neutral, highly resolving and transparent, with a lot more power - because the LCD-2 scales so well to additional power (up to 13 Watts). I want improved dynamics without losing anything that the Stepdance brings to the game. The message here is that the Stepdance is "perfect" with any heaphone that sounds good to your ears with a neutral amp and source of your choosing, as long as the headphone is efficient enough to offer no improvements by going to more than about 700mW rms per channel into 50-Ohms (my estimate of what the 15V Stepdance/2Stepdance/QuickStep can deliver.)

Four days ago, in my continued quest for more power and nothing but more power, I took delivery of another speaker amp, a TBI Millenia MG3 - rated at 32W into 8-Ohms or about 5W into 50-Ohms. I'm waiting for a custom impedance match to be delivered, so the jury is out, but the MG3 sure sounds awesome with 8-Ohm speakers.

WAV > Foobar 2000 WASAPI event mode > USB > Moon Audio Blue Dragon USB cable > CEntrance DACmini CX Line Out > Emotiva RCA interconnects > TBI Millenia MG3 > KnuKonceptz Kord 10-AWG 462-strand OFC > Definitive Technology SM45 monitors (with the MG3 powered by a four-cell 1000 mAh LiPo pack that produces 16.8V at full charge, requiring recharge at 12.0V)

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue67/tbi_millenia.htm

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/definitive-technology-studiomonitorsm-45-loudspeakers-hi-fi/

I hope this dissertation sheds some light on just how impressed I am with the Stepdance. It has remained, for me, the benchmark to beat!

Mike

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #2,487 of 3,070
Time to order my quickstep, hm901 can wait for now. I need a good amp for t5p, for some reason t5p sounds a lot better out of iBasso t5 than the 627x, I am starting to think there's something wrong with my unit.

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #2,488 of 3,070
"You might be wondering why I haven't tried the Meier Classic... It's because I've repeatedly heard that the Classic is warm"

????

The CLASSIC is not warmer than the QUICKSTEP. Just more powerfull and more resolving. And it has a very nice crossfeed!

Compared to most other solid-state amplifiers the CLASSIC is very "grainless". People may feel that as an increased warmth.

Cheers

Jan

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #2,489 of 3,070
Dr Meir can you please provide a brief subjective sound description of your product, what you are targeting for each product, your side provides nice technical information but not much about how you percieve the sound from your own products.

Thanks in advance. 

Aug 26, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #2,490 of 3,070
Dear Audionewbi,

most and for all CORDA amplifiers are ment to be very honest, but without any trace of harshness that so often is associated with solid-state electronics. Sound should be detailed and clean, without any artificial warmth or muddiness. Also background should be as silent as possible.

There are some differences between amplifiers though. The ROCK is an entry level amplifier and most likely will be combined with relatively cheap sources. Therefore its sound is slightly more forgiving than that of JAZZ or CLASSIC. But overall soundsignature of the CORDA range is pretty constant. The more expensive amplifiers simply provide more detail, more power and a more fluent sound.

Cheers

Jan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back