Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion and Impressions Thread
Jul 13, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #1,606 of 3,070
Hey Mike!

It's nice to run into you!  Thanks again so much for the loan of your iMod!

Quote:
ZilchOmd: great chart for the battery'; now I wonder how the 9.6v battery would compare to the 8.4 v in your study.  My LiPo has an extremely long life in such eaters as the Portaphile and the Stepdance, but wondering if the additional power of the 9.6v would be worth considering as a minor "tweak"

And thanks for asking me this question - it has led to my discovering that a "^" symbol was missing from my equation for calculating the OAP1611's Maximum Output Power (Vpp) for a given Supply Voltage (Vs)

Running the equation for a Supply Voltage of 9.6V, we get the following:

Max. Output Voltage (Vpp) = 0.1141*9.6^2 - 0.2816*9.6 + 7.0561  = 14.87 Vpp

Comparing the Maximum Output Power (Vpp) delivered to the headphones with your 9.6V battery to the previously calculated Vpp delivered with an 8.4V battery, we can see that the 14.3% increase in Supply Voltage (from 8.4V to 9.6V) would yield a 16.7% increase in Maximum Output Power to the headphones (from 12.74 Vpp to 14.87 Vpp).  

So, yes - "a minor tweak," but a tweak nonetheless!

biggrin.gif

Mike

Jul 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,607 of 3,070
Quote:
Googlei, did GG succeed in selling the Energizer system that was FS?

Quote:
Goglei,

Paul's right (as usual).  
biggrin.gif

From recent correspondence with Girls Generation, a.k.a. GG, I know that he (she?) is still trying to find a buyer for a complete 15V XP8000 setup. It's like new, unused. Try sending him (her?) a PM.  He (she?) is in Vancover, Canada, so shipping could be expensive, depending on your location.

Mike

And after I had just put so much effort into avoiding gender-specific pronouns...  
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #1,608 of 3,070
Oh wow, now the 2Stepdance with more battery life, but I'm not seeing the first stepdance in the FS forum yet, lol.
I liked the look of the first one better.

Jul 14, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #1,609 of 3,070
Isnt there a problem with GG's StepDance ? I seem to recall some talk that (s)he was asking too much for a unit that required repair - happy to hear otherwise. I dont spend much time in FS as most of the ads are 'CONUS only' - I will only be offering my own goodies to citizens of Oz, Hawaii and Alaska from this point forward  :wink:

PS the South will rise.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #1,611 of 3,070
I want to buy the Energizer pack from him but he doesn't reply.

Anyway, anyone with the Stepdance v1 also experience my problem, i.e. when battery runs out, the Stepdance becomes very very loud? Is this a battery problem (I use cheap GP rechargeable 9V batteries) or a faulty Stepdance? Thanks.

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #1,612 of 3,070
Quote:
Anyway, anyone with the Stepdance v1 also experience my problem, i.e. when battery runs out, the Stepdance becomes very very loud? Is this a battery problem (I use cheap GP rechargeable 9V batteries) or a faulty Stepdance? Thanks.

It's rare but it can happen. It happened to me exactly once. Someone else on here also experienced it before me. Jan was surprised because he had thought that amp would power down before the volume attenuation switches stop working for lack of power. It's not defective but it won't normally happen since the sound quality should be in the toilet well before that point, causing you to switch batteries.

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #1,614 of 3,070

Hi knowhatimean,

The D-5000s are a great match with the Stepdance, set both gain switches to low, what is your source? , the majority on here seem to be either CLAS or Imod, both sound fantastic with the Stepdance.
the CLAS has the slight edge sonically but though chunky the stepdance/imod can fit in your pocket,the Stepdance sounds great with orthos, brings out those sweet mids to superb effect, this is where the extra 15v of power makes the difference.

Quote:
In addition to my HE-4s I also have a set of Denon AH-D5000 , so I'm about 90% sure I'll also pick up the Enegizer pack & use it at all times. (I don't make the distinction between portable & transportable. It all becomes portable to me. I'm not much of a casual listener. I'll take my things w/ me for a walk only if I'm going to stop somewhere & spend some time tuning out my surrounding & concentrate on my music. At my quickly advancing age I try as hard as I can not to trivialize some of the things I enjoy the most to fit some time frame between  other things on my schedule(or 'shedjule' as the Brits. pronounce it) Critical listening ... hmm.. I like to think of it as critical enjoyment. This being said I'm looking foward to my retirement. ( I probably won't be able to retire, given my expeditures for enjoyment)

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:52 AM Post #1,615 of 3,070

Quote:
I want to buy the Energizer pack from him but he doesn't reply.

Hi, i have this problem too
everytime a battery neared 0 capacity (the blue led becomes very faint), the sound will go to very loud within 3-4secs, coupled with distortions/static...

the irritating thing about this is, theres totally no warning, and the loud is seriously way too loud

very curious about whether SD2 have this problem, cause its the only thing that is bad about the stepdance to me

Jul 15, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #1,616 of 3,070

Actually it has become a major problem for me so I stopped to use it some time for my ES5. The ES5 is very sensitive and the sudden loudness can damage it. Luckily it didn't but I stopped using it for the ES5. The Stepdance is quite loud for the ES5 at minimum volume without the -6dB mod anyways. 

I use the Stepdance exclusively with the T5p now. I am less worried about the problem causing damage to the T5p, but still concerned as such sudden loudness is certainly bad for my ears... Not sure if the Energizer pack would solve the problem?

Quote:
Hi, i have this problem too
everytime a battery neared 0 capacity (the blue led becomes very faint), the sound will go to very loud within 3-4secs, coupled with distortions/static...

the irritating thing about this is, theres totally no warning, and the loud is seriously way too loud

very curious about whether SD2 have this problem, cause its the only thing that is bad about the stepdance to me

Jul 15, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,617 of 3,070
The 2Stepdance also does this although by a lesser degree by the sounds of . My music distorted but died almost immediately (2-3 seconds) and before this the led went off for quite a while which gave me plenty of warning. My 2Stepdance was in full view when this happened though so I knew something was happening. This distortion is nothing new to me though having owned a few portables and cmoys.

Won't a Li Ion battery make a difference though? Thought they ran and just stopped dead, so no distortion when dying.... Just a thought and I could be wrong so maybe others can comment. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,618 of 3,070
Actually it has become a major problem for me so I stopped to use it some time for my ES5. The ES5 is very sensitive and the sudden loudness can damage it. Luckily it didn't but I stopped using it for the ES5. The Stepdance is quite loud for the ES5 at minimum volume without the -6dB mod anyways. 

I use the Stepdance exclusively with the T5p now. I am less worried about the problem causing damage to the T5p, but still concerned as such sudden loudness is certainly bad for my ears... Not sure if the Energizer pack would solve the problem?

It will stop the issue, I know it did for me! It was never uncomfortable for me though as I do not listen at high volume so it raised a little at the end but not enough to ping my ears, also I don't think the phones I use are as sensitive as yours.

I hope GG responds to you as that is the perfect solution and the 15v for your application is perfect and with the LCD's I will be very interested to hear your thoughts.

Jul 15, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #1,619 of 3,070
I suddenly vaguely recall some rule that you can't courier batteries? Maybe that's the reason GG did not reply. Or simply that it was sold...

Jul 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,620 of 3,070
@googleli PM sent.

My gain switch was broken but I had two replacements included with my sale as I did not have the expertise to properly solder it myself. I highly doubt this problem would've hindered the price so much as to my asking price being "too" high. :|

Users who are viewing this thread

Back