MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 9, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #1,546 of 1,638
Quote:

It is mid-forward, but it's also "mid-isolated" too like it's completely out of step with the rest of the frequencies. The SM3 had that trait too; I thought the sound was just not completely together.

i was referring to mrviolins question, to me, the z1000 was not really mid forward... i would say its pretty well balanced... well i come from koss tbse1 so yeah 
biggrin.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,547 of 1,638
Quote:

i was referring to mrviolins question, to me, the z1000 was not really mid forward... i would say its pretty well balanced... well i come from koss tbse1 so yeah 
biggrin.gif

Never heard the Tony Bennett, but I heard it's got a similar sound sig. I'd agree that it's pretty well balanced too, but there is a hump in the mids. Pleasant though.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #1,549 of 1,638
OMG you know what...actually beef up the appearance of the headphones, make them look more sturdy, soft ear pads that also go around the ear, these look like they're on-ear phones. The Ohm load also has to be more impressive for a price tag of that sort. The only thing this set has going for it is the frequency range and the cord type (detachable). This is hardly a high-end-sounding pair of headphones, I call a Sony flop.

Jan 11, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #1,550 of 1,638
Quote:
OMG you know what...actually beef up the appearance of the headphones, make them look more sturdy, soft ear pads that also go around the ear, these look like they're on-ear phones. The Ohm load also has to be more impressive for a price tag of that sort. The only thing this set has going for it is the frequency range and the cord type (detachable). This is hardly a high-end-sounding pair of headphones, I call a Sony flop.

Ohms don't matter really. Higher doesn't always mean better. Frequency range is just a set of values. You can't tell how it'll sound like just look at the FR. Audible range for a majority of humans is 20Hz-20KHz. How'd you make these more sturdy? They look pretty sturdy to me. If you've seen the pics posted compared to other circum-aurals, they're fine. They don't look small at all. Idk how these seriously look like on-ears. T50P, dt 1350, HD25 1-II, amperior, etc, would be on ear. 

The branches/extenders look mighty fine, along with the magnesium cups. Just because it has a low impedance and such looks,  you can't judge the phones. Have you heard these? Low impedance just means that there's a lot less resistance, and it's much easier to draw power from the source. As for looks I think they're really fine: simple, cut, clean. Not too simple, but not too much for the eye.

Sorry if it seems like I'm bashing you, but you just can't judge a phone just by looks and specs. 

Jan 12, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #1,551 of 1,638
lower ohms does not necessarily even mean easier to drive, look at the hifiman he6 for an example. i usually cant care less about specs but if i remember right, low ohms means you have to pull more current to power it and high ohms you have to pull more voltage to power it, either that, or vice versa, i forgot. 

Jan 13, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #1,552 of 1,638
the he6 has an insanely low sensitivity (db), similar to a k1000, thats why it is hard to drive even if it only has 50ish ohms.

low sensitivity(db) = need more current
high ohm = need more voltage? i think

Jan 13, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #1,553 of 1,638
Quote:
the he6 has an insanely low sensitivity (db), similar to a k1000, thats why it is hard to drive even if it only has 50ish ohms.

low sensitivity(db) = need more current
high ohm = need more voltage? i think

:3 I think it'd be the other way around. Ohms have to do with current/waves n sensitivity is by the voltage >_> at least to my understanding.

Jan 16, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #1,554 of 1,638
As someone who is used to (and REALLY LIKES) the Sony EX500 in-ear buds, I bought some Z1000s, this week, brand new from Amazon. I assume they are genuine but am, so far, finding it hard work (!!!) to like them. The cables are wonderfully sturdy, the construction of the headphones LOOKS very good. However, the sound is harsh and sparce - lacking in depth, body, character or engaging energy. The clarity is good but what I am experiencing is sound that I perceive to be stripped and lacking - it's like there is a lot MISSING, it's like something just isn't getting going, like I need to flick a switch.

Given that I don't think their sound quality can match that of my EX500s and that they therefore cannot BEGIN to justify costing so much more, is there any chance that using them for more than one day may cause them to change character somewhat and reveal to me a reason to keep them ? I don't want to be too rash dismissing them too quickly - expecting too much, too soon, but also don't know if "burn in" is a fallacy.

These sound so ordinary and insipid to me, at the moment, that I could easily believe they were "entry level".

Is it normal for them to leak a lot of sound ? I thought a closed-back headphone would allow for private listening. This set definitely DON'T. They are LOUD.

Jan 16, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,555 of 1,638
Quote:
As someone who is used to (and REALLY LIKES) the Sony EX500 in-ear buds, I bought some Z1000s, this week, brand new from Amazon. I assume they are genuine but am, so far, finding it hard work (!!!) to like them. The cables are wonderfully sturdy, the construction of the headphones LOOKS very good. However, the sound is harsh and sparce - lacking in depth, body, character or engaging energy. The clarity is good but what I am experiencing is sound that I perceive to be stripped and lacking - it's like there is a lot MISSING, it's like something just isn't getting going, like I need to flick a switch.

Given that I don't think their sound quality can match that of my EX500s and that they therefore cannot BEGIN to justify costing so much more, is there any chance that using them for more than one day may cause them to change character somewhat and reveal to me a reason to keep them ? I don't want to be too rash dismissing them too quickly - expecting too much, too soon, but also don't know if "burn in" is a fallacy.

These sound so ordinary and insipid to me, at the moment, that I could easily believe they were "entry level".

Is it normal for them to leak a lot of sound ? I thought a closed-back headphone would allow for private listening. This set definitely DON'T. They are LOUD.

Could it be a fit issue?

The Z1000 was the least leaky full sized headphones I've ever had the pleasure of listening to.

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #1,557 of 1,638
Perhaps it is an expectation issue. I am used to in-ear Sony EX500s. I'm very happy with those but was interested in an expanded version (I should probably have stayed with the form-factor I am accustomed to and chosen the Sony MDR EX-1000s). These Z1000s are my first full-sized headphones. I mail-ordered them with no pre-purchase trial. I assumed the sound would be as rich and as full as my buds but actually HOPED the much more costly hardware would provide a WOW factor - and, certainly,  an improvement/enhancement. Could it be a fit issue that means I am not hearing these at their best ? I have the head-band at the lowest/smallest setting and am wondering if this is as good as it gets. Currently there is no way I would choose the Z1000s over the EX500s. Do they burn in and alter or could it be that my set are completely normal and just don't suit my taste ? Perhaps I wanted warmth and body - an element of the engaging grandeur that my 5.1 computer speakers generate. Maybe Z1000s are SUPPOSED to sound thin, sterile, clinical and anticeptic.Maybe this is helpful for people transcribing musical notation whereas I just wanted to be swept up in sound and have plumped for the wrong product.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #1,558 of 1,638
Quote:
Perhaps it is an expectation issue. I am used to in-ear Sony EX500s. I'm very happy with those but was interested in an expanded version (I should probably have stayed with the form-factor I am accustomed to and chosen the Sony MDR EX-1000s). These Z1000s are my first full-sized headphones. I mail-ordered them with no pre-purchase trial. I assumed the sound would be as rich and as full as my buds but actually HOPED the much more costly hardware would provide a WOW factor - and, certainly,  an improvement/enhancement. Could it be a fit issue that means I am not hearing these at their best ? I have the head-band at the lowest/smallest setting and am wondering if this is as good as it gets. Currently there is no way I would choose the Z1000s over the EX500s. Do they burn in and alter or could it be that my set are completely normal and just don't suit my taste ? Perhaps I wanted warmth and body - an element of the engaging grandeur that my 5.1 computer speakers generate. Maybe Z1000s are SUPPOSED to sound thin, sterile, clinical and anticeptic.Maybe this is helpful for people transcribing musical notation whereas I just wanted to be swept up in sound and have plumped for the wrong product.

Perhaps you were looking for an expansive soundstage?  The Z1000 would not be my first choice.

FWIW though, The Z1000 is still on my short list of headphones that really impressed me.  As a speaker guy, a lot of headphones fail me.

Jan 16, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #1,559 of 1,638
Quote:

I would assume it'd take time to break in the diaphragm since people've said it's pretty rigid. lol I think this was Sony's first use of the liquid crystal polymer... and they decided to use it on their new "flagship". :p Again, the one that was considered the flagship after the qualia would be the SA5K, not this, and it's also been noted to be "sterile". I guess when you say sterile you mean clear, spot on, true to the track, unflavored/colored, etc. I personally don't use 

By lowest/smallest setting, do you mean volume-wise? Think I've seen it affect the MDR-1R, but haven't seen anything on this.

You'd seem like a speakers man lol. Just as 

Perhaps you were looking for an expansive soundstage?  The Z1000 would not be my first choice.

FWIW though, The Z1000 is still on my short list of headphones that really impressed me.  As a speaker guy, a lot of headphones fail me.

Yeah, not so expansive. AKG's 70X series should maybe be what you'd want? They k702's been noted to be "thin", but thin varies from person to person.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #1,560 of 1,638
Quote:
:3 I think it'd be the other way around. Ohms have to do with current/waves n sensitivity is by the voltage >_> at least to my understanding.

nope, it is correct, based on my experience.

you can use an amp with uber wattage to an he6 or a k1000, but it will just sound "normal" unless you get high current running through the amp as well. the 6w (or was it 8w) lyr cant drive a k1000/he6 at all, based on my experience. it can play it at decent volume but with volume knob at 4-5 o'clock :p

also, most 15w 30w power amp can make the two headphone to loud volume, but it doesnt sound spectacular to me, compared to diy amps with big current with decent wattage.

there are a few exceptions though, and this will go on so ill just end it here
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back