MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Dec 19, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #1,202 of 1,638

Quote:
Anyone has both Z1000 and ED8? Thinking about getting ED8. Any comments?

Both has smallish earcups....both looks great on the head.
i like to play the ed8 LOUD, that way  the surroundlogic comes thru, its not ear shattering.
AVATAR and STARWARS sounds terrific spatial and deeep...
v "different"" from a normal can.

I dun find the ed8's treble "hot".....its very clear in a coool way, vs a T5p which is bright clarion.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,203 of 1,638
Dec 19, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #1,204 of 1,638

Quote:
I just sent back my ZX700s because my ear was basically sitting on the grill the whole time (really really uncomfortable).

Besides those Beyer gel pads, does anything else work with it?  

I might consider picking them up again if this little problem can be solved.

I had the problem that my left ear only slightly touched the inside of the can with the ZX700. However, that particular place had some rough edges what really hurt after a while.

However, I really want to try the Z1000. Do you think it's more comfortable or are they alike?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #1,205 of 1,638
^^^ z1000's earpad is deeper than zx700's

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #1,206 of 1,638

Quote:
I just sent back my ZX700s because my ear was basically sitting on the grill the whole time (really really uncomfortable).

The foam mod works pretty well on ZX700: http://www.head-fi.org/t/435809/jvc-ha-rx700-mods

It still gets uncomfortable after awhile but it made a world of difference for me. I would have sold mine if it wasn't for the mod.

Does anyone know if the Z1000 pads fit on the ZX700?

Dec 19, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #1,207 of 1,638

Quote:
The foam mod works pretty well on ZX700: http://www.head-fi.org/t/435809/jvc-ha-rx700-mods

It still gets uncomfortable after awhile but it made a world of difference for me. I would have sold mine if it wasn't for the mod.

Does anyone know if the Z1000 pads fit on the ZX700?

I tried something similar where I took the cushion from a pillow and stuffed the inside of the pads.

It still didn't help.  I think it has to do with the odd shape of the cups.  I'm sure for some people it's great, but I think my ear size/shape is just a mismatch.

These really are some snazzy looking and solid feeling headphones.  I was really happy about picking them up for 75 bucks, shame it didn't work out

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #1,208 of 1,638

Quote:

I use Shure 840 pads on Z1000. It is slightly larger, so more room for ears; it also brings out more bass and a bit echo (or, you can call it bigger soundstage.) Basically Shure 840 pads is more comfortable and keeps most of sound signature. I also have Shure 940 pads, it muffs the sound. Beyer Velour pads just does not sound right at all.
I use Beyer Gel pads for ZX700 - bass, bass, more bass.
By the way, Z1000 pads fit ZX700. You can call Sony Pro to buy it, but I am not sure they have it, or not.
Edit: Shure 840 pads are not perfect fit for Z1000 or ZX700, it is wider. I'll take photos later.

Dec 20, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #1,209 of 1,638

Quote:
I use Shure 840 pads. It is slightly larger, so more room for ears; it also brings out more bass and a bit echo (or, you can call it bigger soundstage.) Basically Shure 840 pads is more comfortable and keeps most of sound signature. I also have Shure 940 pads, it muffs the sound. Beyer Velour pads just does not sound right at all.
By the way, Z1000 pads fit ZX700. You can call Sony Pro to buy it, but I am not sure they have it, or not.

I should've called first.  I didn't know people were discussing the ZX700s on here or I might have given them a fighting chance (they sounded great with rock).  I sent Sony an email twice to inquire about purchasing the Z1000s pads and did not get a response.

Oh well, Maybe in the future.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #1,210 of 1,638

Quote:
Yep the Z1000 is overlooked, its a very flexible, great at home and on the move.
Spare pads are very pricey though, £55 uk!

F'ing ell. Be cheaper to get Saville Row to make some up with making the pads deeper at the same time!

Was that through Sony Style by any chance?

Got to say, when I read that price not also did my jaw drop but my ears almost fell off!   Should come as no surprise though with Sony charging unrealistic prices for their after market accessories.

Quote:
I use Shure 840 pads on Z1000. It is slightly larger, so more room for ears; it also brings out more bass and a bit echo (or, you can call it bigger soundstage.) Basically Shure 840 pads is more comfortable and keeps most of sound signature. I also have Shure 940 pads, it muffs the sound. Beyer Velour pads just does not sound right at all.
I use Beyer Gel pads for ZX700 - bass, bass, more bass.
Edit: Shure 840 pads are not perfect fit for Z1000 or ZX700, it is wider. I'll take photos later.

Would it off been nice if Sony had some foresight of not maybe just testing it on Japanese ears and got some big potato heads in from the west so they could of designed exactly the same pad with deeper cushioning & slightly wider cups and called it the XL pad and charged £55 for it....

Jan 11, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #1,211 of 1,638
Can anyone talk about this headphones? If they are good, what they are good for...

I'm not a professional musician and nor a DJ. I just win this headphones and I don't know if i should keep it or sell it.

Jan 11, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #1,212 of 1,638

Quote:
Can anyone talk about this headphones? If they are good, what they are good for...

All depends of your type of music. XB1000 can be very average or excellent. Mainly with EDM XB1000 ll be excellent, good too with hiphop and all bass oriented music.

heuh, why i speak about xb1000 in a z1000 topic, my bad,lol.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #1,214 of 1,638
I think these headphones pair well with most genres. They definitely have an edge with bassier, beat-oriented music as the bottom end is nice and robust. That makes them very good for gaming. Also they're detailed and have a nice ambience / atmosphere and decent sized soundstage.

The rest of the frequency response is nice too imo, and it never sounds "bad" with any genre unlike, say, the K550 I recently purchased. If you won these headphones for free, I think it's worth keeping them personally. The amount you'd get for them by selling them here wouldn't be enough to buy anything that would be a "step up" in my opinion.

Jan 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #1,215 of 1,638
Quote:
I think these headphones pair well with most genres. They definitely have an edge with bassier, beat-oriented music as the bottom end is nice and robust. That makes them very good for gaming. Also they're detailed and have a nice ambience / atmosphere and decent sized soundstage.

The rest of the frequency response is nice too imo, and it never sounds "bad" with any genre unlike, say, the K550 I recently purchased. If you won these headphones for free, I think it's worth keeping them personally. The amount you'd get for them by selling them here wouldn't be enough to buy anything that would be a "step up" in my opinion.

I like the Z1000s too, my impressions mostly match yours, Anyway it's a very nice blend between sound quality, isolation, solidity, ease to drive and understated elegance IMHO.
That blend make those headphones my favorite choice for portable use, especially since I hear they can be bought for $300 these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back