MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jul 29, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #1,006 of 1,638
Katun Get a PA2v2 and use it with your PortaPro's and EQ it out, pretty epic stuff

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #1,007 of 1,638
Found a review and some measurements:

Quote:
When a company goes out of their way to brand something “studio headphones,” you should always take that claim with a grain of salt. While the MDR-Z1000s are a decent set of cans, they are by no means studio headphones, and they aren’t even close. It’s no secret that we don’t mind a dynamic response, but the response fielded by the MDR-Z1000s are not remotely near what it should be were Sony’s claims true.
On the response graph below, you’ll see that the bass frequencies are a little overemphasized, but for a good range of frequencies the MDR-Z1000s actually remain within our ideal limits. Once the frequencies reach 5-7kHz, however, the MDR-Z1000s inexplicably dampen the sound by a large margin, and then at 9kHz they wildly boost volume. Were anyone to try to use these cans in a studio application, they would find that their tracks were mixed with really bizarre levels.

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #1,008 of 1,638

You know, even taking any sort of price out of the equation, I still don't like these. They aren't enjoyable to listen to, at all. The bass is alright, midrange seems quite distant and veiled, and the treble not only doesn't seem to extend very high, but is fatiguing. It's just not a very good sound. If you told me it was flagship, or it was over $200 even, I wouldn't believe you. I'll test them a bit more before I send them back, just to quadruple check. But I cannot find any genre that they excel at.

Hehe, your review sounds much like the MDR-CD900ST to my ears. A very annoying and overly analytical sound. These two phones look like twin brothers too. SONY have lost their mojo since the CD3000/R10, or at least that's how things would appear.

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #1,009 of 1,638
The CD900 ST is a different beast. It is in the same league as the DT48E and both give what is in the source. 

The R10 is a thing of beauty...

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #1,010 of 1,638
When a company goes out of their way to brand something “studio headphones,” you should always take that claim with a grain of salt. While the MDR-Z1000s are a decent set of cans, they are by no means studio headphones, and they aren’t even close. It’s no secret that we don’t mind a dynamic response, but the response fielded by the MDR-Z1000s are not remotely near what it should be were Sony’s claims true.

On the response graph below, you’ll see that the bass frequencies are a little overemphasized, but for a good range of frequencies the MDR-Z1000s actually remain within our ideal limits. Once the frequencies reach 5-7kHz, however, the MDR-Z1000s inexplicably dampen the sound by a large margin, and then at 9kHz they wildly boost volume. Were anyone to try to use these cans in a studio application, they would find that their tracks were mixed with really bizarre levels.

Thanks for posting this. I guess I will have to try before buying.

Jul 30, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #1,011 of 1,638

The CD900 ST is a different beast. It is in the same league as the DT48E and both give what is in the source.

That's really not how it sounded to my ears...I'll give you that I was A/B'ing it against a cd3k, but still its 40mm drivers were outputting the most "one note" bass I had ever heard, comfort was ubearable, mids were as dead as can get and the trebles really veiled. OTOH, I really enjoyed the SS, that I found even more impressive than on the HFI-780(that is borrowing technologies from the Edition 9). IME, Sony are really the kings of SS...whatever cd3k/cd900st or sa5k. But it's as much due to the earpads than to the drivers I think. And SONY are really a PITA w/ those flaking earpads.

cd3k: http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq346/zephyrusrain/Photo12.jpg

cd900st: http://www.iafif.net/weblog/photographic/090218_04.jpg

But, again we all hear differently as some ppl claim to prefer the cd900st to the O2.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #1,013 of 1,638
Just got done reading all 68 pages of this thread - very interesting... Never before on this site have I seen such contrasting and varied opinions about the same set of headphones.

Ended up pulling the trigger on a pair when I got to about page 50 - price seemed good at $304 from nextdaypc... However hopefully I won't regret this as most of the reviews after page 50 seemed to give the impression that these phones are trivial from the comparisons made. Guess I will see - I will post my impressions vs hd650 once I receive them.

Jul 30, 2011 at 9:11 AM Post #1,014 of 1,638
Quote:
That's really not how it sounded to my ears...I'll give you that I was A/B'ing it against a cd3k, but still its 40mm drivers were outputting the most "one note" bass I had ever heard, comfort was ubearable, mids were as dead as can get and the trebles really veiled. OTOH, I really enjoyed the SS, that I found even more impressive than on the HFI-780(that is borrowing technologies from the Edition 9). IME, Sony are really the kings of SS...whatever cd3k/cd900st or sa5k. But it's as much due to the earpads than to the drivers I think. And SONY are really a PITA w/ those flaking earpads.

cd3k: http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq346/zephyrusrain/Photo12.jpg

cd900st: http://www.iafif.net/weblog/photographic/090218_04.jpg

But, again we all hear differently as some ppl claim to prefer the cd900st to the O2.

I preferred the 10R and K240 DF to the CD900 ST. The CD1700 is more to my liking too...

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #1,016 of 1,638

Quote:
Found a review and some measurements:

10kHz spikes sound awesome, and look how exact it is.

CK10 and SA-5000 to name a few.

Interesting how much it dips at 6kHz~7kHz though, the complete opposte of EX700/600/800ST/1000, UM Miracle, Rooth LS8, which all have huge spikes around 6kHz~7kHz... might have something to do with IEM's versus headphones though.

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #1,017 of 1,638

Quote:
Are you sure thats their flagship? I think it should look a bit more like a high-end headphone if its going to be the best Sony heaphone  created, more like the R10.

And only 24ohms impedance?? For a $735 headphone??
Also dont like the look of those earcups. Looks cheap & plastic like my ath-ws50 earcups (Although my ws50 was only $75)

I think, sadly, that all the minds and ears that created the R10 are dead or retired by now.

Jul 30, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #1,019 of 1,638
Quote:
Amps (from what I've tried only) don't do it for me. Neither do high end headphones. That's why I'm sticking under the $200 mark. (Z1000 was my last exception)

And you expect people to take your impressions seriously with precious gems of wisdoms like this...? I'd let the grown-ups do the reviewing if i were you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back