MDR-Z1000 new Sony flagship headphones
Jan 20, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #751 of 1,638

Quote:
if you wear them outside, the holes above the sony logo seem to get wind noise. (yes as mentioned above the cable does make a sound at the join, but you can put it your shirt pocket or something). Really nice seal and isolation though. Better than what I get with my SM3 in most cases with 2 fal silicon tips.

My Ultrasone headphones have leakage at the hinges too. I use silicone ear plugs pushed into the holes to reduce noise.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #752 of 1,638
Good point, I experienced it to.

An good advice would be to never bike with those phones on if you care about your ears.

or getting hit by a bus :D ? seriously, too warm to run in briskly walk in anyway (at least in 25 deg weather :) ), let alone bike.

>My Ultrasone headphones have leakage at the hinges too. I use silicone ear plugs pushed into the holes to reduce noise.

the seal is very tight on z1k, I don't think plugging the hole is a good idea, might cook the drivers ? Plus the holes have a mesh about 1mm into the opening,so can't plug them.

Jan 20, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #753 of 1,638
I'm pretty sure that hole is a bass port.  If you plug it up you'll probably lose all the bass.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #754 of 1,638
The port area is also a recess purposefully done for the pivot joint on the band for when the ear cups are more vertical. The pivot rests in that recessed area.. 

...but does that mean those with bigger heads, who make the ear cups rest more vertically, will cause the bass ports to plug up?? 
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #756 of 1,638
Yeah, no worries. I was kind of waiting for the Pro 900 to settle down some with more time (I've read that they're aggressive, and boomy in the bass before, about 200 hours), but will describe what differences I'm hearing...

So far the bass is h-u-g-e on the Pro 900s. Much, much more in depth and reach than on the Z1K. It's definitely somewhat lingering and boomy at this point, but it makes for a nice foundation on music with good kick drums and basslines. By contrast the bass on the Z1K is tighter and quicker, but doesn't reach anywhere near as low. Soundstage is also much wider on the Pro 900s. When I go back to the Sonys it seems much more compressed and narrow, almost claustrophobic. I'm definitely preferring the width and natural sonic picture the Pro 900s are able to create. They're both about equal when it comes to treble reach and detail. But the Ultrasone's space helps provide more space between the details giving a better sense of distinction for triangles and cymbals. 

To me so far the Sonys seem to be more of what they intended-- a studio monitoring tool, with a highly accurate sound which adds nothing to what was intended in the music. The Pro 900s are more of a musical enjoyment headphone, which gets your toes tapping on just about anything. I know they have a bump in the bass, but I rather like that so far.

One other thing-- the Sonys isolate really well, while the Pro 900s don't so much with their velour pads. The pads let quite a bit of surrounding noise in. And when I take them off and seal the ear cups with my hands (as they would be when listening) I can hear the music quite well. So isolation is not one of the strong suits of the Pro 900.... but it is just enough for use at a desk at work.

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #758 of 1,638
Yup. Definitely bumped. 

And I'd still like to see a graph for the Z1K sometime.... 

While I prefer the Pro 900s, the Sonys will be kept too. My other headphones will be sold soon..... 

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #760 of 1,638
May I ask if these phones are suitable for portable use (i.e. I won't look ridiculous) and how these compare to the ES10 in general (build quality, portable-ity, sound sig differences, etc.).

Thanks!

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #761 of 1,638
May I ask if these phones are suitable for portable use (i.e. I won't look ridiculous) and how these compare to the ES10 in general (build quality, portable-ity, sound sig differences, etc.).

Thanks!

imo any full size cans look ridiculous, but at least Z1000 aren't huge (get IEMs). Read the previous 2-3 pages. Cable may make a sound near the join, unless you fold it up and put it in you pocket, not sure how durable the cup pivots (plastic) are, they're faily hot (because the seal is very tight), finally the holes above the sony logos make noise in the wind. The headband is not entirely comfortable at the top...It doesn't quite lay flat on my head.

as for ES10, Idk.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #763 of 1,638
I never had the ES10.  However the Sony MDR Z1000 is of light weight, good build, can be driven by the ipod (better with portable amp)
can playback nearly all kinds of music genre, possible with the exception of classical music.  However I enjoyed some classical music i.e. Swan Lake
by Svetlanov with the Z1000.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #764 of 1,638
Even though I just shelled out almost $1100 on Beyerdynamic T5ps I keep thinking about picking the Z1ks. I know not too many people (if any at all) heard both but I would be interested in opinions on whether it is worth trying the Sony's and comparing them to Beyers in order to see which ones are better for me. I like T5ps but still have this itch to try something different :wink:

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:26 AM Post #765 of 1,638
Thanks for your immense help guys, was looking for a portable, comfortable can that looks good and has great sound to boot too (with a name that isn't Beats by Dre Studios or cost a car or two like the T5P), so I guess the ES10 it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back