Maxwell DHP-II vs. Sennheiser HD428 vs. Beyerdynamic DT 235 vs. Koss UR55
Mar 19, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I own all of them except the HD-428. I would say the DHP-II.
You can however change the DT-235 to make it surpass the DHP-II in sound and comfort.
What you do is take the DHP-II pads off and put them on the DT-235 to make it circumaural from supra-aural.
You've now got the most comfortable headphone there is, but it has too much bass (but not with the default pads!). You can now mod it to bring out the mids and remove the bass bloat. It involves putting masking tape over 2 of the holes behind the driver and adding some blue-tack.

My DHP-II is out on loan, but the DT-235 when fully modded does probably sound better than the DHP-II.

DHP-II is now somewhat hard to find and it's price is too high. If you can still get it for under $50 it's worth it.

I wasn't a super huge fan of the DT-235 until I modded it. The mids are really nice when modded.

The UR-55 is nice, but the sound isn't as clear as it could be and for many it's not that comfortable.

BTW many Sennheiser pads can fit on the DT-235 to make it over the ear instead of on ear. HD-497 pads do and they're cheap online. The pads are under $10 online.

More people should mod the DT-235. I posted a thread about it and it's quite good for $55. It's even good for gaming!

Quote:
Out of these 4:
  1. Maxwell DHP-II
  2. Sennheiser HD428
  3. Beyerdynamic DT 235
  4. Koss UR55

Which one would you guys choose based on sound and comfort?

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Is it easy to replace the ear pads?

I've never done this before

Quote:
I own all of them except the HD-428. I would say the DHP-II.
You can however change the DT-235 to make it surpass the DHP-II in sound and comfort.
What you do is take the DHP-II pads off and put them on the DT-235 to make it circumaural from supra-aural.
You've now got the most comfortable headphone there is, but it has too much bass (but not with the default pads!). You can now mod it to bring out the mids and remove the bass bloat. It involves putting masking tape over 2 of the holes behind the driver and adding some blue-tack.

My DHP-II is out on loan, but the DT-235 when fully modded does probably sound better than the DHP-II.

DHP-II is now somewhat hard to find and it's price is too high. If you can still get it for under $50 it's worth it.

I wasn't a super huge fan of the DT-235 until I modded it. The mids are really nice when modded.

The UR-55 is nice, but the sound isn't as clear as it could be and for many it's not that comfortable.

BTW many Sennheiser pads can fit on the DT-235 to make it over the ear instead of on ear. HD-497 pads do and they're cheap online. The pads are under $10 online.

More people should mod the DT-235. I posted a thread about it and it's quite good for $55. It's even good for gaming!

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah it is. Anyone could do it. What you do is pull on the pad and you'll find that the DT-235 pads are held on to a small plastic piece with legs that snap in place.

What you do is put the pads around the plastic piece and snap it back in place. It takes only a couple minutes.

I believe the HD-212, HD-497, HD-202 pads will fit the DT-235. They run about $10-$20 online.

The DHP-II pads are the most comfortable, but Maxell doesn't sell replacement pads.

Mar 19, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 6

Oh okay thanks for the help. So basically you're saying that the DT-235 have the best sound but the only downside is comfortability due to its small ear pads?

Quote:
Yeah it is. Anyone could do it. What you do is pull on the pad and you'll find that the DT-235 pads are held on to a small plastic piece with legs that snap in place.

What you do is put the pads around the plastic piece and snap it back in place. It takes only a couple minutes.

I believe the HD-212, HD-497, HD-202 pads will fit the DT-235. They run about $10-$20 online.

The DHP-II pads are the most comfortable, but Maxell doesn't sell replacement pads.

Mar 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 6
I think I'm just going to get the Maxwells.

Do you guys know anything about warranty?

The website offered 3 months warranty. But shouldn't it come with a factory warranty of like at least 2 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back