Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jun 5, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #1,516 of 2,660
That is really weird. I haven't heard of anything like that but my guess would be something improperly soldered (highly unlikely) or just a bad receiver chip or something. Definitely email Ryan to get this resolved. He does come here frequently but I think he would be more prompt with e-mail. Good luck with this and let us know how it goes!

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #1,517 of 2,660
I connected 1x RCA, 1x USB, and 1xCoax to my device and was able to switch between all 3 without any problems.  There is a small noise when switching sometimes but that is the sound it makes when you change sample rate between a non-multiple.  The USB and Coax were connected to the same machine as was the RCA.

Sometimes I switch between Optical and Coax (Between PC and Game Console)

As sparky said above there is probably a problem with your maverick(or less likely the devices you use).

Quote:
Does anyone else have problems with their D1 when switching digital inputs?

It seems to take a considerable amount of time to switch. I have two PCs connected, one with USB and one with optical SPDIF. When I switch over to the optical one, it takes a minute or so for it to pick up the signal. When I switch back to USB, it plays everything at twice the normal speed, and makes the same noise that shuffling a deck of cards makes. Pulling out the USB cable and plugging it back in fixed it, but it definitely bothers me that switching inputs is so difficult for this thing. I should not have to be unplugging the DAC, turning it on and off, or disconnecting and reconnecting cables just to switch from one input to another. That's what the Source knob is supposed to do.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #1,519 of 2,660
Ok, question:

Earlier this year, May actually, I bought myself a new 2.0 stereo system.

Cambridge Audio Azur 540a V1
PSB Alpha T1's

and of course I have my Maverick :3

However, this setup is a little bit too bright. I like a brighter system, but this is a tad bit more at times.

I currently have the GE 5670 tube in the mav, but I'm considering getting the WE 396A. The FAQ lists it at a notably darker tube. My hope is to balance out the sound, by using a darker tube in the pre amp stage to compensate for the brightness of the amp.

Suggestions?

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:16 AM Post #1,520 of 2,660

Quote:
Ok, question:

PSB Alpha T1's

However, this setup is a little bit too bright. I like a brighter system, but this is a tad bit more at times.

I currently have the GE 5670 tube in the mav, but I'm considering getting the WE 396A. The FAQ lists it at a notably darker tube. My hope is to balance out the sound, by using a darker tube in the pre amp stage to compensate for the brightness of the amp.

Suggestions?

try out the non tube pre-out, see what happens.  Just for funs sake it might be less "bright" and might not even be your style but it still exist there.  After that I don't have any good suggestions.

Jun 11, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #1,522 of 2,660
I just replaced the Moon HDAM with an Earth HDAM (gd-audio discrete op amps) in my D1. I had expected to not like the change, but wow, what a surprise. While I can't say, yet, that I prefer it to the Moon sound, it is a wonderful new flavor in the D1 ice cream parlor.

The Earth has a lot more weight, but without a loss of top-end detail. I have only played pop and rock through it so far (Jonsi, Cat Power, Broken Social Scene, Sufjan Stevens, Led Zepelin (ok, that's an outlier for me, but I just watched "It Might Get Loud," a superb documentary about Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White, and I got the bug to listen to all their respective discographies). Mid range doesn't suffer either, with the Earth. I am thinking the Earth HDAM is simply up about 4 dB at the bottom octave, as the only *obvious* difference. There are a lot of other, subtle things going on, to my ears, as well, so the Earth is again, a sweet new flavor, worthy of a listen, and maybe a long term residence in the D1.

I have a Sun HDAM waiting in the wings, and my 8 year old, Aidan and I intend to compare Sufjan Stevens "Chicago," from Illinoise to compare the two, new op amps.

Obviously the circuit is not optimal for these HDAM's (I think it's a supply voltage issue), but at normal listening levels, the D1 with these outboard op amps is pretty darned amazing. Soundstage, resolution, micro-detail, yada yada.

The weekend started early!

Marc

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #1,523 of 2,660
The D1/HDAM listening session continues with the Sun HDAM (audio-gd):

The Sun is definitely tilted toward the top. I'd say it's up 6 dB from 6K Hz up. Very tilted. Listening to Chicago (Sufjan Stephens), our "reference song" for this comparison (me and my 8 year old son, Aidan), the ethereal voices really shimmer. Unlike with the Earth HDAM, Sufjan doesn't groove as much, but still sounds "right." The Earth really "boogies," where the Sun puts the spotlight on voices and cymbals. Love the cymbals with earth; pristine; crystaline. About the best top-end rendition I can remember hearing. Now, listening to Adrian Belew, "Here," confirming that pristine top end.

I don't want to suggest that the Sun is lacking at the bottom, now listening to Stars, "Genova Heights," shows that the Sun can clearly "boogie" too. The bass line really comes across here.

What surprises me is just how much I am enjoying the rendition of high frequency material. I expected the Sun to be just plain "bright," so I originally ordered only the Moon HDAM's. I am glad I later went in for the Earth and Sun. The Sun makes it a treat to listen to anything with well-recorded top end. There is a golden quality to vocals and acoustic guitar that is quite special. Susan Mckeown sounds splendid, BTW on this setup.

If you don't have Molina and Johnson (the collaboration between bandleaders of Magnolia Electric Company and Centro-Matic), I could listen to it over and over on the D1 with the Sun HDAM. Wow. Warmth with articulation and detail in spades. Guitar solos (sounds like they recorded them with a ribbon mic :), are honey sweet. Vocals are amazing; pure, rich and caramelly. The winsome, somewhat dark quality of this mostly acoustic album comes through.

D1 with Sun HDAM was made for Death Cab For Cutie. Transatlanticism is more present and affecting than I have ever heard it.

Iron and Wine, Shepherds Dog: Percussion is superb with the Sun. Transients are thrilling. Bass seems very well rendered. You could be a conoissiuer of reverb with the Sun in the D1.

Abigail Washburn, Songs of the Traveling Daughter. I actually enjoy the vocal renditions on this album for the first time. This is very spare, well recorded female vocal music and banjo, and it is crisp, but warmer than I expected to find it with the Sun.

Sufjan Stevens, Michigan: This is darker than I expected to find it with the Sun. Very pleasingly ultra-crisp, but somehow "dark" at the same time. Ultra-articulated, but very smooth. Vocal sibilance is actually enjoyable with this combination.

My summary comment at this point is that I am having a blast rolling discrete op amps. I really, really like the Moon HDAM, but as of today, I can say that I am really glad I bought the others, and that I can roll op amps like I roll tubes. Also, I am falling in love with transistors (OK, at least appreciating them deeply) in a way I did not expect to. In a well designed circuit, as my friend Rupert Neve often harps about, they can be superb. OK, count me a believer.

Background: I tried all the listed, IC op amp combinations in the DAC and Headphone positions that were recommended in the FAQ for the D1. So far, I am enjoying the HDAM's a lot more. That said, if I had to go back to an IC op amp, I seem to prefer the stock units. I already went back to the stock op amp for the headphone output, as the only HDAM I tried there didn't work at all (just popping and almost inaudible audio, using the Moon HDAM).

Issues that remain: all these HDAM's clip at high volume. I think the D1 doesn't supply an optimal voltage for the operating characteristics of the HDAM's from audio-gd. I know this sounds horribly compromised, and like a non-starter as an option in the D1, but darn these sound good at normal+ listening levels! Know that I am a shameless audio snob. Anything but single-ended, class A (generally with triodes) is palid and unappealing to me most of the time. That said, I am loving what I hear.

Listening to amazing Celtic Violin right now (Hayes and Cahill, The Lonesome Touch), and this is making for the beginnings of a splendid day off!

Let the listening continue! Back to HDAM rolling!

Marc

My Setup: Airport Express Digital Out > Maverick D1 (WE 396a) > DIY Transformer Coupled 300B SE Amp > DIY Alpair 10 Speakers in MarKen10 Cabinets. Power: 110 VAC (Pure Sin Wave) via Texas Sunshine > Unisolar and Kyocera Panels > Outback Charger Controllers and Inverters > Nickel Iron Batteries

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #1,524 of 2,660
I've got some D2000s coming in Monday, and I've already got a Maverick, so I can post some impressions then.  They'll be facing off against some DT990/600s.

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #1,526 of 2,660
Quote:
Ohh I would love the DT990 impressions with the maverick :wink:  Though in my environment I am not too hot on open headphones I still want to buy a pair for those small periods of time it is silent.

Well, so far they sound great, if its the sound you're looking for.  I love the bass, I love the soundstaging, but so far they seem a too bright for me.  For short periods of time, like when I tested them at canjam, they're fantastic.  After an hour or so the treble starts to grate on my ears.  I've only had them for 2 days, so maybe a bit of break in will help.  I'm not sure it will, so I just ordered the Denons this morning.  That will give me almost 2 weeks to compare and contrast before I'll have to send one back.  I've written some more about it in this thread.

Regarding synergy between the 'phones and the amp, I don't have much experience in judging that kind of thing but it can power them to ludicrous volumes and produce some thunderous bass, even at more moderate levels.  The only other amp I have to compare it to is my Bithead, which actually powers the 990/600s to a halfway decent volume but isn't quite up to that task.

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,527 of 2,660
If you have not already, I highly recommend rolling the OPAMPs. For me, it made the largest difference in getting rid of the brightness. replace the NEs with the LMs in my sig, also mentioned in Spanky's thread. Its a simple procedure and only amounts to around ~$15 when ordered off digikey. Best upgrade to your Maverick you'll make. :) sp70.

Quote:
Ok, question:

PSB Alpha T1's

Suggestions?

Jun 12, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #1,528 of 2,660

I have DT770pro/250  so the bass would probably be a little light for me in comparison.  Not really a big deal :wink:  I'll have to give them a try eventually.
Quote:
Quote:

Well, so far they sound great, if its the sound you're looking for.  I love the bass, I love the soundstaging, but so far they seem a too bright for me.  For short periods of time, like when I tested them at canjam, they're fantastic.  After an hour or so the treble starts to grate on my ears.  I've only had them for 2 days, so maybe a bit of break in will help.  I'm not sure it will, so I just ordered the Denons this morning.  That will give me almost 2 weeks to compare and contrast before I'll have to send one back.  I've written some more about it in this thread.

Regarding synergy between the 'phones and the amp, I don't have much experience in judging that kind of thing but it can power them to ludicrous volumes and produce some thunderous bass, even at more moderate levels.  The only other amp I have to compare it to is my Bithead, which actually powers the 990/600s to a halfway decent volume but isn't quite up to that task.

Jun 13, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #1,529 of 2,660
New plan of attack.  Tube preout > Total Bithead.  Preliminary results are promising.  I'll have to wait a few hours and see if my ears hate me for it to be sure.

Update

Ok, it definitely makes the treble less fatiguing, but there's still too much of it.  The balance is off from what I =843&graphID[1]=&graphID[2]=&graphID[3]=&graphType=0&buttonSelection=Compare+Headphones]prefer/am used to, and I can't turn it up very far without the treble scouring my eardrums.  This is really pissing me off.  I wanted to like these things and I thought I would, but it seems even trying them out at a meet isn't a good enough guarantee.

Jun 13, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #1,530 of 2,660
I like the SS and Tube out to my amplifier, the DT990~600 sound great from there. Love the sound
But like I said before, the D1 headphone out is way too bright. If I do change the OPAMPs, will it only change the headphone out or the analog and tube out as well?

Edit: 3 weeks after having received the D1, DHL contact me.I need to pay 7€ Customs taxes and 5€ Administrative costs. So that only makes 12€ on top of the D1 price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back