Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 15, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #2,641 of 2,660
Yamshik,

I no longer have the D1 (having upgraded to a D2 DAC with a Schitt Magni headphone amplifier....so I can't follow your question. However for technical questions I have found Ryan at Maverick tech support to be very helpful, and he responds pretty quickly. The best way to reach him is at info@mav-audio.com ....please let us know how you get along.

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #2,643 of 2,660
  A bit confused when upgrade to OPA627 at Maverick TubeMagic D1.
Please tell me the initial (factory) chips location at panels [U4], [U5], [U6] and how the chip should be placed after upgrade at these panels.
Thanks in advance, 
Vladimir

Please check ;
http://www.head-fi.org/t/446764/maverick-audio-dac-amp/2565#post_10551367

Dual OPA627 Brown dog

Chips location (pointed by white arrow), replaced with OPA627...Plug and play (Beware of chip orientation)

Good luck..

~ron~

Jun 10, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #2,646 of 2,660

Hi Autosol, I did not resolve the issue, but Ryan offered to take it back and test it.  If they found nothing wrong he said he would refund my money.  I bought the thing for my son and he decided to keep it and live with it.  I taked with a couple of HiFi electrical designers and engineers and they both said it could be poor shielding, poor filtering, poor grounding or just bad design.  I can maybe understand the digital clicking when changing songs but not when I push any button on any piece of equipment.  And if you have large speakers or have the volume turned up loud the pops are very irritating.  We tried the DAC in my main system with my Magnepan 1.6 speakers which are almost 6 feet tall and the pops were way too loud to live with.  For $200 it is disappointing.  If the DAC cost $30 I could understand it.  The DAC and Preamp both have very good sound in my main system but right now I would not recommend buying one.

By the way, all inputs make the same annoying pops!  I guess I learned my lesson here. 

my D1 plus (with upgrades) have exactly the same problem. the popping sound when changing sources is not just annoying but scary it may damage my speakers. have to turn the volume down each time. also it produces noises when i change TV channels (toslink). unberable. I also tried D2. D2 doesn't have this problem. disappointed.

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #2,648 of 2,660
I just bought the D1 Tubemagic with upgraded tube and op amps. I don't plan to use the tube out, only the solid state. I plan to leave this unit on 24/7. Should I just take out the tube? Or can I leave it in there while its powered on all the time?

Jul 31, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #2,649 of 2,660
  I just bought the D1 Tubemagic with upgraded tube and op amps. I don't plan to use the tube out, only the solid state. I plan to leave this unit on 24/7. Should I just take out the tube? Or can I leave it in there while its powered on all the time?

Keep the tube inside, no issue

Jul 31, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #2,650 of 2,660
I just received new opamp ; Burson Dual V5i opamp.
I'm happy with Burson Single V5 version on my Gustrad amp, hopefully the dual will improve my Maverick D1 as well.

Currently my D1 use dual OPA627 (brown dog) replaced the manufacture opamp.

Replacing OPA627 with Burson V5i very easy, plug and play.

Here  pictures of Burson V5i in D1  

Very positive first impression,....I share with you about sound later

to be continued.....

Aug 7, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #2,651 of 2,660
After 1 week burn in, here my impression...

Source:
Asus Laptop , Windows 10, Foobar2000
DAC: ESS9018 connected to Maverick D1 through analog input RCA with custom silver cable (made by amplifiersurgery.com)
Headphone: Sennheiser HD600

File: FLAC
Selected songs  for this test:
  1. What a day different make, Ingram Washington
  2. Don’t know why Norah Jones
  3. All I am, Heatwave
  4. 101 Eastbound, Fourplay
  5. Diana Krall (Album Live in Paris)

This review base on listening  (subjective) ,comparison with OPA627 , nothing changed in other parts  
Burson V5i vs OPA627

Sound stage:
Compare to OPA627, V5i give slightly wider sound stage (not too much), this one make me happy due to HD600 don't  have wide sound stage.
Imaging is spot on and while the soundstage isn't huge it still allows the listener to get a sense of space in the recording.
Just right in my opinion and very pleasant

Bass – Compare to OPA627 , V5i give  good extension and more weight on my HD600 . Which is this very good improvement for people who want more bass in HD600.
I enjoyed bass in song 101 Eastbound by Fourplay, depth and quantity perfect for my taste.  Fyi, I’m not basshead

Mids - Everything in the mid sounds very linear to my ears. I don't find the mid to be lush or clinical.
The vocal not forwarded, which is good for me who don’t like forward mid or vocal .
Vocal in What a day different make by Ingram Washington, weight and timbre clearly exposed (in good way)

Treble - The treble reproduced is very clear, present, and smooth. V5i delivered not much different when compare to OPA627.

Overall a very well balanced sound with regard to frequency range with a slight smoothness to the sound. 

When I see V5i in first time, I little bit worry with small casing regarding heat issue
I did some test in 1 week by run my D1 almost 4-5 hours/ day, not heat issue found in V51 opamp .

I have couple headamps, the modified D1 is one of my favorite
Serviced me for almost 5 years, freedom to modify easily; opamp and tube make this amp always make me smile.
Good to know that opamp  rolling has big impact to the sound, beside tube and caps.

The summary, Burson V5i raised the D1 to next level. This will give you another fun and pleasant listening your music collection.
Pro    : From SQ result, absolutely I recommend you to try in D1 or other amp.
Cons : The price little bit high for opamp

~ron~

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #2,652 of 2,660
Hi,

I just bought a d1, and have a few questions about it.

First off, can i use ALL the outputs at the same time?
I want to use the headphone out for my hd700s, the tube out for my reciever and the normal out for my subs. Will my subs turn off when i plug in headphones?

And can i still buy new opamps with brown dogs straight from maverick?

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #2,653 of 2,660
Hi,

I just bought a d1, and have a few questions about it.

First off, can i use ALL the outputs at the same time?
I want to use the headphone out for my hd700s, the tube out for my reciever and the normal out for my subs. Will my subs turn off when i plug in headphones?

And can i still buy new opamps with brown dogs straight from maverick?

If memory serves you can actually use all outputs at the same time.  I can definitely confirm that headphones and one of the rear outputs (not sure if tube preamp out or line out) can run at the same time.

Not sure if they sell opamps directly, I picked mine up from warehouse distributors.

Aug 11, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #2,654 of 2,660
If memory serves you can actually use all outputs at the same time.  I can definitely confirm that headphones and one of the rear outputs (not sure if tube preamp out or line out) can run at the same time.

Not sure if they sell opamps directly, I picked mine up from warehouse distributors.

Nice, i'd really like to use the subwoofers with the headphones.

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,655 of 2,660
HI,
so i got the unit a couple of weeks back, and noticed that it was actually a D1+, which made the buy even more worth it 
bigsmile_face.gif

So, i've been listening to it for a couple of weeks now, and actually think the headphone amp is kind of meh.. hopefully this is solveable with a quick opamp switch
confused.gif
(found out that you can still get them from the page)).
I still really love it though. it fits in perfectly in my setup, and it's dac output really sounds good. 

i am currently running it over USB. How much better is the sound over toslink?

~Svein~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back