Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Nov 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #2,611 of 2,660

Thank you for the list, and the clarification on the WE396A....you are absolutely correct, the "D" getter is the preferred tube over the "O" getter; which I believe to be later manufacture. The Sylvania too is critical to pay attention to, they must be the Gold Series and early 1960s date code....the later tubes are not in the same class.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #2,612 of 2,660
One more thought.....as sizzlincok posted. There is also a wealth of information available on audiokarma.org, and following a few posters such as sKiZo can yield a wealth of information. Headfi tends to be headphone focused, and Audiokarma tends to be all encompassing.

Dec 1, 2014 at 1:42 AM Post #2,613 of 2,660
Thank you for the list, and the clarification on the WE396A....you are absolutely correct, the "D" getter is the preferred tube over the "O" getter; which I believe to be later manufacture. The Sylvania too is critical to pay attention to, they must be the Gold Series and early 1960s date code....the later tubes are not in the same class.

Just click buy a WE396A....in eB*y for $15/pc, not mentioned D or O getter.
From sizzlincok post, both models are 1 and 2 class...I hope my D1 will singing better with this tube..:)

~ron~

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #2,614 of 2,660
In need of help concerning the internals my D1 + . Near the outputs are a pair of yellow MTK cylindrical caps @ 1u8k 250Vdc . These do not seem to be stock,  I have not seen any D1+ pics with these caps. Am I wrong ? If this is someone else's mod , should they be replaced ? With what ? and what benefit would be gotten from it? Thx

Dec 9, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #2,615 of 2,660
Hey Guys, 

I have 2x LT1364 in the D1 (not plus edition). I have just ordered the 396a tube, hoping for better results than the stock tube. Do you guys recommend getting the SUN HDAMs for both the U5 and U6, or just a single one? I'll also need to do some plexiglass mods in order to fit the HDAMs.

My setup is: Behringer Audio 3030A studio monitors on the tube out, and BeyerDynamic DT990 Pro 250 for the headphone out. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #2,616 of 2,660
I didn't see this in the FAQ thread but does the D1 use only 2 channel opamps?  I'll be getting one soon and looking to swap them out at some point.  The LT1364 seems really cheap here:

http://www.linear.com/purchase/LT1364/LT1364CN8%23PBF

Do most people use the LT1364 in the DAC stage, amp stage, or both?  I'm wondering what the best combination is if I prefer a big sound stage, detailed sound, and neutrality (though I'm not opposed to some warmth).  I was thinking LT1364 in the DAC stage and LM4562HA/NOPB in the amp stage.  The opamp rolling section of the FAQ thread doesn't make it really clear though.

Dec 24, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #2,618 of 2,660
  I use 2x LT1364 in both stages. Although, I will be switching both of them to SUN HDAM from Audio-gd or the burson discrete amps, since they are both non-IC and apparently make a world of difference. 

Interesting, thanks for the response.  The Audio-GD SUN HDAM and Burson discrete opamps are a bit more than I want to spend at the moment, I think I'll pick up two LT1364 dual channel opamps and a LM4562HA, and do some trial and error.

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,619 of 2,660
Sounds good. Also, it turns out that Audio-GD no longer make the HDAMs. There is another company that competes with Burson audio's discrete op amps, they're called Sparkos Labs and the product is the SS3602. Also, you could try the Muses 02 Op-Amp, it's non discrete but apparently it's one of the best dual op-amps ever made. I believe it costs roughly $37 each op-amp. 

Dec 28, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #2,620 of 2,660
Tube rolled,
Just put WE396A in my old D1 replaced the JAN 5670W. Not big improve, just add more detail slightly.
I would say, JAN 5670W is good and cheap solution

I will try other tube,if my wallet allow me..:)

~ron~

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #2,623 of 2,660
Hey guys, I'm in a bit of info-overload right now.

I have the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1+ with the upgraded opamps (627) and GE5670W tube. 
I'm looking into further upgrading the opamp(s), because I'm seeking extra detail, a wider soundstage, and better imaging.

I'm still running my HD650s out of the headphone amp on the D1, but I'll be building myself a bottlehead crack in the near future, and my stereo system comes out of the other set of RCAs, so I'm considering doing both opamps. (I'll still use this jack for my lower impedance cans).  

I had completely set my mind on getting some Audio-gd Sun HDAMs... only to find that they have discontinued production of their opamps.

So, now I'm left with a slew of more expensive options that I can't find any reviews for using with the D1.

The Dexa opamps (79504 and 73728)  
The NJR MUSES02
The Sparkos labs SS3602
The Burson Audio dual SS opamp

TNT audio has some reviews for the Sparkos and Burson using the D2, but I admittedly need to sit down and directly compare components between the two to figure out if the components are similar. 

I'm primarily fishing for experience-based use of these opamps. I'm all for trying out ALL the things, because I'm a scientist... and it's in my blood. However, I'm not made of money (hence being a scientist). At ~$70 per OPA for most of these, the experiment would get pretty expensive pretty fast.

Thanks in advance guys!
- Jc

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2,624 of 2,660
I was in the same position you were in Apoq. I bought some the two Burson op amps, and they would have a loud hum when placed in the U5 position. I was not impressed by the Burson op amps. If I replaced one of them with another SS op amp mentioned below, the hum would go away, but still close to the definition of a SS op amp.

This is what I originally did, bought a GE 2c51 tube, the bass response seemed to extend a bit. Then I bought 2x LT1364 op amps, both were good, although not as refined as I'd liked them to be. Then I bought 2x LME49710ha and soldered them onto the brown dog adapters to convert them into DIP-8. They were OK at best, but I still preferred the LT1364 since the LME49710HA seemed to have a V-shape EQ curve. Then I bought 2x lme49860na. I tried putting both the lme49860na in the U5 and U6, but the wide sound stage seemed to disappear.

My perfect combo so far is: 1x lme49860na and 1x LT1364. The amp is currently with a friend at the moment, so I can't tell you which goes in the U5 or U6. You'll have to try and experiment. Personally, I'd say away from the LME49710ha, even though they get high praise. The LT1464 is roughly $7 each from digikey, with the lme49860na being roughly $3 each. I think they're cheap enough for you buy 2 of each and it'll be roughly $24 with shipping.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/linear-amplifiers-instrumentation-op-amps-buffer-amps/2556125?k=lme49860na

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LT1364CN8%23PBF/LT1364CN8%23PBF-ND/891887

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #2,625 of 2,660
  I was in the same position you were in Apoq. I bought some the two Burson op amps, and they would have a loud hum when placed in the U5 position. I was not impressed by the Burson op amps. If I replaced one of them with another SS op amp mentioned below, the hum would go away, but still close to the definition of a SS op amp.

This is what I originally did, bought a GE 2c51 tube, the bass response seemed to extend a bit. Then I bought 2x LT1364 op amps, both were good, although not as refined as I'd liked them to be. Then I bought 2x LME49710ha and soldered them onto the brown dog adapters to convert them into DIP-8. They were OK at best, but I still preferred the LT1364 since the LME49710HA seemed to have a V-shape EQ curve. Then I bought 2x lme49860na. I tried putting both the lme49860na in the U5 and U6, but the wide sound stage seemed to disappear.

My perfect combo so far is: 1x lme49860na and 1x LT1364. The amp is currently with a friend at the moment, so I can't tell you which goes in the U5 or U6. You'll have to try and experiment. Personally, I'd say away from the LME49710ha, even though they get high praise. The LT1464 is roughly $7 each from digikey, with the lme49860na being roughly $3 each. I think they're cheap enough for you buy 2 of each and it'll be roughly $24 with shipping.

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/integrated-circuits-ics/linear-amplifiers-instrumentation-op-amps-buffer-amps/2556125?k=lme49860na

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LT1364CN8%23PBF/LT1364CN8%23PBF-ND/891887

Thank you for the quality response! 
I had some doubt about the Bursons. TNT has a review: http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/burson_supreme_e.html  and they apparently had some problems with the D2, in feeding the power hungry Bursons in stock configuration.

I've become more interested in the MUSES02, after reading some of peoples' thoughts in other opamp threads. Again, with not finding anyone that's tried it in this DAC, I'm wary. I'm not educated enough in these matters to be able to troubleshoot the circuitry if it isn't working right. That being said, I'm certainly trying to learn. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back