Matrix Mini-i Pro Impressions?
Apr 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #228 of 289
There is always a very mild buzz on my KRK Rokits, but I'm still using unbalanced RCA. Same buzzing, but much less than even my old Schiit Asgard 2's active preamp.

The Mini-i Pro has 3 options for volume control. Pre1 is headphone amp and line out at the same time. Pre 2 is just line out. Both Pre1 and 2 allow volume control via the knob of the Mini-i Pro. The third option is DAC and it sets the line out to 100% with no option to control the volume.

So Pre1 and Pre2 will allow volume control of your monitors. The asio driver works really well too if I may add. I'm not sure if the other options you mentioned offer asio. Thought it'd be worth mentioning.

No idea what ASIO is. But I'll look it up :)

Is there a benefit to running this thing in DAC mode vs one of the Pre modes? If running in DAC mode, I'd have to then use yet another gadget as a volume control. Like that dedicated pot/knob from TC Electronics or something.

Apr 17, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #230 of 289
ASIO bypasses windows audio bs, so no resampling. ASIO just plays the native track of whatever is being fed to it. So even if my windows settings is set to 16/44.1, if I play a 24/96 track in say foobar2000... the Mini-i Pro bypasses the 16/44.1 and plays the 24/96 track at 24/96 without you having to switch any settings. I find it very convenient at the minimum.

As for your usage, I'd just use Pre2 for the Mini-i Pro's volume control of the line out to your active monitors. It's easy to swap to Pre1 if you want to swap to headphones or DAC if you want to swap to an external headphone amplifier. All you have to do to swap settings is hold the volume knob pressed in while turning it off, then while still holding the volume knob pressed in turn it back on. The settings menu is displayed.

The Mini-i Pro also has the benefit of a remote control if you aren't beside the unit itself. I never need to use it, but again, I can't complain about having it if I ever need it.

Ah, ASIO seems like a good thing to have. Although I have an older MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard, so not sure if that matters?

May 12, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #239 of 289
I thought I had my ground issue resolved, but sure enough it's still there. I spent a large portion of Sunday going through the elimination process again with no luck; any usb cable that connects to my mini-i pro from my PC (on every usb port with nothing else connected) turns the inaudible humm/buzz into a dial tone for a phone pretty much. I really don't want to buy a new power strip, new power supply cable, XLR cables or a usb power isolator... I think I'm going to have to attempt either a usb power isolator or XLR cables first. I just don't have the money. How frustrating. I had the same issue with my Asgard 2's preamp and Modi's RCA out. Curse this computer's motherboard if it's the culprit.

In the mean time, my DX90's optical out to the Mini-i Pro produces no buzz/hiss at all with my monitors. This makes changing music more challenging than the convenience of using a music player on my computer while I'm sitting in front of it. Sigh. Things could be worse. I'm just glad I have something that works (without issue) for the moment.

I once have the same problem like yours, i think the only different is the PC computer, i am using notebook.
XLR connection no doubt will reduce the humm but I still can hear it 'only' when I place my ear very close to the speaker.
Adding usb isolator/filter like ifi ipurifier also not solving the humm as it is AC related ground loop.
Disconnect +5V from USB cable won't work either as the humming still transmitted through data line.
You can go for linear power supply for your PC but that is very expensive investment, I solved my humming problem using cheapest solution, only connect the AC hot & cold to the PC, no ground connection
Recently I read some where that adding pci-e usb card may be a solution, but i haven't try.

May 18, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #240 of 289
Hi
  If you have (or buy) the old Mini-I with the AD1955 DAC chip and add this very well reviewed  Gustard USB->SPDIF converter http://www.ebay.ca/itm/251688780563?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=550594659334&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

it is an easy and inexpensive fix to add Hi Res & DSD -> USB capability. It is what I'm going to do at considerably less cost than buying a new DAC.

Matrix has their own converter but it's about $100 more and is smaller without a dedicated independent power supply (which the Gustard has).

Hellenback,
Is there any benefit of using Matrix mini-i Pro (2015) with Gustard U12?
Thank you in advance,
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back