Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Mar 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #948 of 1,055
Hi there folks,

Just wanted to let any potential buyers know I was selling one in the trade forum:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602426/matrix-mini-dac-excellent-like-new-with-remote#post_8250254

Mar 25, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #950 of 1,055
New layout?

May you take some pics?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 4, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #952 of 1,055
Hi all,

I am a user of Matrix Mini-i for about a year and recently I somehow lost the remote. As anyway it was not powerful enough to control the DAC from my sofa, I decided I will use an IR transmitter and use my PC volume keys to control the DAC volume using the WinLIRC software.

However, as I do not have the original remote, I cannot learn the IR signals used to control the DAC. Please if anyone has the similar setup already working, or is able to scan the button codes of the original remote into LIRC (or pretty much any similar data format or even just a waveform from photodiode connected to audio-in, more at http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/) it would be very welcome to publish it here or somewhere (LIRC remotes database).

So far I tried to contact the manufacturer of Matrix to no avail. And buying a new remote just to get the button codes seems to me unnecessarily expensive.

Thanks for any help.

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #954 of 1,055
I did. So far for two days with no answer.
I also contacted matrixelectronics.com. They responded quickly, saying that they do not suggest to apply this tweak by non-professional (nonsense..) and offered me to buy a new remote.

EDIT:
They did respond after all :) For those who might be interested, search for PT 2212 data sheet - that's the IC used in the remote. There is 32 possible key-codes. My Matrix Mini-i reacts to these:

K1 0x303000ff VOL_UP
K5 0x303020df VOL_DOWN
K9 0x303010ef POWER
K13 0x303030cf SOURCE
K17 0x303008f7 MUTE

Apr 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #955 of 1,055
So I emailed Matrix directly about the issue with the volume knob I was having, and they replied:

Hi there,

We are sorry to hear the troubles.
There is a flat cable between front panel and mainboard.Could you please check whether the flat cable contact good or not with the front panel and mainboard?
We think the problem maybe exsits in the flat cable.
Best Regards,
Fiona

Now when I look at my DAC, there's a matrix sticker that will be broken if I open it up, I assume this is the warranty sticker, is there any way I can check this without voiding the warranty?

Thanks.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #956 of 1,055
If Matrix has asked you to open it, I'm sure they will still honor the warranty. It sounds like they are just trying to save time and shipping charges (both ways) by trouble-shooting in advance in case it's something simple, which it probably is.

Apr 10, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #957 of 1,055

Quote:
If Matrix has asked you to open it, I'm sure they will still honor the warranty. It sounds like they are just trying to save time and shipping charges (both ways) by trouble-shooting in advance in case it's something simple, which it probably is.

Cool, was hoping that was the case, I will wait for their official email just to make sure though. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #959 of 1,055
Unless the amp has some sort of coloration (tubes, or deliberately colored amplification) or the output impedance is too high (which might affect the damping of the bass, making it sound boomy) - then no, it shouldn't really. I would only really bother if you were running some very power hungry headphones, that the Matrix was insufficient to (e.g. Hifiman HE6), or if you want to start playing around with tubes (which is admittedly fun). 

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #960 of 1,055
For the can you have and given their relative sensitivity, I don't think you need an outboard amp.  Given that, the Mini-i is generally described as a good entry level DAC with a bonus headphone amp that is passable.  I have the HD650's and plan on adding a Schiit Lyr to drive them well.  Either way, it's a great start.

Quote:
I have a Sennheiser HD598 and a Grado 60i. Would buying an external headphone amp make any real audible difference compared to the Mini-i's build in one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back