Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Apr 12, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #961 of 1,055
I have found that the Mini-i's amp is better with my higher-impedance HD 600 than with the Grados and AT's, which are efficient but lower in impedance. I was hoping it would be good for IEMs but to me it is best with the Sennheisers. YMMV.

Apr 12, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #962 of 1,055
The price is but i wouldn't that it is a entry level DAC.  I have not done any comparisons myself but the Mini-i has been around the block with some very expensive DACs in many countries; ( French, German, Japanese, Chinese...) forums.  Many people say it can hold its own against some $1000-$1500 DACs.  With a few mods it can match or even better some.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #963 of 1,055
Agreed, the main deficiency is the 16/48 USB input. With a decent spdif source this DAC rocks!

Apr 12, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #964 of 1,055
Funny you mention that.  My main source is USB but I've never bothered with a SPDIF converter.  I enjoy the Mini-i just the way it is so much I never thought to change.  Know of a decent USB to SPDIF converter I can start with?  Thanks.

Apr 12, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #965 of 1,055
There's a lot of good ones out there. I use the Firestone Bravo with their Supplier PSU and found great improvement. The Supplier part is probably overkill. The only drawback is that it only goes up to 96k, so it doesn't let you take full advantage of the Mini-i's 192k Spdif capability. I would probably check into the Mhdt USBridge for a 192k-capable unit that won't break the bank if I was looking again.

There's a few threads around Head-fi on these converters, they come in all price ranges and have different capabilities. You could look for features like asynchronous USB, re-clocking, and galvanic isolation for starters. Just do a search for "usb spdif"

Hiface, Audiophilleo, Musical Fidelity (V-Link) and Halide (Bridge) are a few other converter makers that come to mind. If you're running out of a Windows box some of the better soundcards have a decent coax out as well from what I understand.

Here's a list of some others: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_SPDIF.htm

Apr 13, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #966 of 1,055
I was looking at the USBridge on ebay.  I may try it in the future.  Most of the converters in your link cost 3-4 times the Mini-i.  I saw a small unit from Matrix but that too is only 96k.  USBridge may be it.  Thanks.

May 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #967 of 1,055
Bought my Matrix Mini-I on the 13th of July 2011, loved it when it showed up. Great performance with my Audio Technica ATH-AD900 'phones, took a BNC digital from my PC and optical from my 360 for use with my Audioengine A5 speakers via RCA output.

About a month ago the headphone output developed a crackling and occasional bursts of static, with no changes to usage of the device. It occurs in the right headphone channel only, and is not present in the RCA output.

It's present in any input method, whether or not there is a cable attached, and occurs with other power cables and outlets. I have also tried other earphones with the Mini-I, which make the same noise.

I contacted Tam as of the 9th of May 2012 (6 days ago) detailing the above, got a response as below on the 12th of May:

Quote:
"Do you mean the noise is only present when you switch to the USB input with no cable attached? Or it's there no matter which input you select?"

And replied with "It is there all the time, on any input, even if the only cable is AC power and headphones."

It's a really frustrating issue, it's only been perfectly functional for about nine months or so, and I haven't heard back from Tam since that email. I have since sent another today (15th) as a reminder. I'm within the year's warranty, so does anyone have any experience with repair? Or does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this issue myself in case Tam doesn't get back to me?

Thanks in advance.

May 27, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #968 of 1,055
I just purchased the Matrix Mini-i.

I currently have in my system:

Xonar HDAV1.3 > Smyth A8 Realiser > (Matrix Mini-i) > KGSSHV Stax Amp > SR-007 MK1's

Main purpose for adding a DAC, is the balanced outputs to the KGSSHV. The Realiser has it's own Dac which is good, but only with RCA output's. I was looking at the Anedio D2, but I was reading this thread and figured I should start off with the Matrix. Some people say the difference between DAC's in the highend is splitting hairs and many people here seem to hold this DAC in high regards compared with the higher priced items.

I hope this DAC is going to at least give me the same performance as the Realiser's Dac, but with better seperation through balanced output's. At some stage I probably will go for the Anedio and compare these two Dac's. The Stax are very revealing, so maybe slight improvements will show up.

Realiser will be connected to the Matrix via Optical input.

May 27, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #969 of 1,055
Hey HDMan.. let us know what you think.  Will the Matrix live up to/do the Stax justice? Would be interesting to know.

May 31, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #972 of 1,055
Got it yesterday, inital impressions are good, nothing really different in sound quality to the A8 Realiser's onboard DAC. I do however notice the ability to push at a louder volume with less fatigue. Could be placebo, LOL.

All in all it sounds the same, now this begs the question, higher priced DAC or not?

I got a feeling it aint going to change much in this system, unless I spend $5k on a DAC to extract %5-10 more.
tongue_smile.gif

The biggest change of all was with the Headphones (or speakers). $5k would be better spent on the SR-009's.

May 31, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #973 of 1,055
Are you going in through USB? The USB input is the Mini-i's weak link so the sound can be further improved by adding a decent quality USB to spdif converter.

May 31, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #975 of 1,055
When I got the Mini-i and after a break in period, I decided to try it in my main A/V system (Rotel AVR, Martin Logan speakers) temporarily replacing my PS Audio DLIII.  That was a bust.  Pulled it hour within half a hour.  The DLIII just smoked it in resolution, clarity, detail and dynamics.  The Mini-i is a good DAC for the price but for about $800 new, the DLIII is a significant step up.  I think the quality of the DAC has been overstated and don't think it plays/compares well with $1K DAC's.  DLIII case in point.
Now that I have a Schiit Lyr in my HP system, I'm looking to upgrade the Mini-i (and move it to the bedroom) and replace it with either the Schiit BiFrost ($350 without USB) or another DLIII.  Don't think you have to sped $5K.

Just a quick update.. replaced the Mini-i with the DLIII for a few days feeding the Lyr and HD650's.  Mindblowing difference. Better bass, smoother, less grain and much better imaging. More listening and toe tapping and less analyzing the music. That's what it's all about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back