Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Apr 2, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #676 of 1,055

Quote:
Yes, I would like to do that but I don't have a sepperate pre-amp and the volume on the BX5a's is at the back. Also, each speaker has it's own volume nob so it's pretty irritating to tune these things.. I would be going; Pc -> USB -> Mini-i -> Blue Jeans XLR -> BX5a Deluxe.

I am using it in preamp mode also, theres no other way since it's not convenient to adjust the volume controls on the speakers separately at the back. So Matrix Mini-I is great for this application!

Apr 2, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #677 of 1,055
OK I see what you mean. I looked at the pictures of the BX5as. I think the more appropriate name for that volume control should have been "gain":)

PA

Quote:

I am using it in preamp mode also, theres no other way since it's not convenient to adjust the volume controls on the speakers separately at the back. So Matrix Mini-I is great for this application!

Apr 4, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #679 of 1,055
Why should the mini-i have not not enough power to drive your AKGs? The matrix has no problems to drive my AKG K141 or my Grado PS1000 (32Ohm) or Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 or Sennheiser HD650 and HD800 (300Ohm)

regards,
radik

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #681 of 1,055

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying this dac and pairing it with the Headroom BUDA for a fully balanced setup while selling my Meier Stagedac/Concerto combo. Has anyone here paired the matrix with a good balanced SS amp?

Good is a relative term....:)

My matrix mini I is driving a Behringer EP2000 pro-audio amp. Connections with Blue Jeans cable balanced XLRs. Cheap price. Good sound.

PA

Apr 4, 2011 at 10:26 PM Post #682 of 1,055
Yes I know, everything in sound is relative but we need a few words to have a base of reference. You know what I meant 
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #685 of 1,055

Hello everybody. First time poster, but long time lurker. 
Here's my question: I'm in search for a not-too-expensive dac to put in my office setup. The source will be a Macpro with lossless audio played by Amarra (or Fidelia for a more casual or analytic listening) and the pre/amp will be a Little Dot MkIV. I've read many posts and reviews about the Mini-I saying it sounds "tubey" and more "musical" than defined; now, is there, with the MkIV, the risk that the sound will become too muddy and boomy? Is the Little Dot Dac_I a better buy?
The setup will be not be used only with headphones, but with my Ls3/5a speakers and a to-be-decided power amp too.

Thanks in advance!

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:18 PM Post #686 of 1,055
As much as I like the Mini-i is the DAC1 the same size as the MKIV? If so that would be a hard to beat combo aesthetically. The benefit of having an SS opamp headamp to chose from would be the main argument in favor of the Mini-i, so it would be hard to go wrong either way. I like to use the Mini-i's built-in headamp for IEMs as I think it offers great control at low volume but it drives most full-size cans as well. OTOH you may find the Mini-i's headamp redundant with the MKIV sitting right next to it.

Apr 10, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #687 of 1,055

Quote:
I'm thinking of buying this dac and pairing it with the Headroom BUDA for a fully balanced setup while selling my Meier Stagedac/Concerto combo. Has anyone here paired the matrix with a good balanced SS amp?

Sounds great with the LD MKVII+ in balanced mode (4pin XLR) ...relatively inexpensive.

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #688 of 1,055
I'm using it with the LDMKVII+ too :)  the HD650s sounds pretty good on them, lush and extremely smooth vocals on certain songs, but still with a clear and distinct treble, pretty balanced signature

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #689 of 1,055
anyhow does anyone know the difference between the unbalanced and balanced outputs of the LDMKVII+?  I've connected the LD to the Matrix Mini via XLR interconnects, and can also plug in headphones to the headphone out ( unbalanced ), so what's the difference between listening to the unbalanced vs balanced output in this case?

Apr 13, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #690 of 1,055
If your headphones are still SE there will be no difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back