Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Apr 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #706 of 1,055
Alright guys how exactly do I switch off the headphone amp? The manual says to press the volume knob while it's off and then turn it back on, but I'm not going into the working mode menu.

Edit: NVM I got it. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #708 of 1,055
Using the matrix with the fixed output seems to be really loud and I have to set my amp's volume pot anywhere between 9-11oclock even on low gain. My Stagedac on fixed output allowed my amp to make complete use of the volume pot on low gain which I preferred. Looks like I will have to manually adjust the volume on the DAC. Anyone else doing this?
I am pleasantly surprised at how good this dac is. It doesn't have as black a background as my Stagedac but for the price, it's a steal.

Apr 29, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #709 of 1,055
Btw, is there any change in the 2011 version except for the optional remote input? Very curious.

Apr 29, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #710 of 1,055
Hi there,

i am using the Matrix Mini via balanced xlr-cable in combination with my Audio-GD Roc SA. Only in DAC-Mode the volume is very loud. Too much for my ears, so i have to set the volume on the DAC.
I own the StageDac as well and i think that the performance differences between these two units are not as much as most people believe. Like brasewel said... It´s a true steal
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #711 of 1,055

Quote:
Hi there,

i am using the Matrix Mini via balanced xlr-cable in combination with my Audio-GD Roc SA. Only in DAC-Mode the volume is very loud. Too much for my ears, so i have to set the volume on the DAC.
I own the StageDac as well and i think that the performance differences between these two units are not as much as most people believe. Like brasewel said... It´s a true steal
wink.gif

x2. The volume on balanced mode with the mode set to fixed output is way too loud. Even with the gain set on low on my Apache I have to set the volume anywhere between 9-10oclock. This is really unacceptable as I cannot fine tune the volume. However, when I set it to back to variable output I am definitely losing some detail. I have decided to sell it and get another balanced dac that is a little better. This is not a knock on the Matrix, its a great dac and would work great with mid-level amps but with something as transparent as the Apache it's flaws become noticeable. 

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #712 of 1,055
If your Apache can't handle a 2 volt source then an XDA-1 might be a good matchup as it is only 1 volt like an iPod LOD. I have read great things about that DAC, if it will work in your setup it's a great value. But many high-end sources are 2.5 or even 5 or 10 volts, it has nothing to do with how "mid-level" the amp is or not. It's just about matching up the output voltage of the source with the input voltage that the amp wants. There is no right or wrong and it has nothing to do with quality, or even if the amp or source is balanced or not. Many sources have more voltage going out of the balanced output than their RCA outputs, but I think they are close to the same voltage out of the Mini-i. The Apache is an active preamp first and foremost, so it is ideal for low-voltage sources.

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #713 of 1,055

Quote:
Channel balance? As in left and right? How so?

Stepped attenuation in the analog realm means matched resistors at every click to lock in the volume on both channels regardless of level. The Mini-i's pot is digital so I am not sure how it works exactly but I can say that it does, and very nicely at that.

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #714 of 1,055

Quote:
If your Apache can't handle a 2 volt source then an XDA-1 might be a good matchup as it is only 1 volt like an iPod LOD. I have read great things about that DAC, if it will work in your setup it's a great value. But many high-end sources are 2.5 or even 5 or 10 volts, it has nothing to do with how "mid-level" the amp is or not. It's just about matching up the output voltage of the source with the input voltage that the amp wants. There is no right or wrong and it has nothing to do with quality, or even if the amp or source is balanced or not. Many sources have more voltage going out of the balanced output than their RCA outputs, but I think they are close to the same voltage out of the Mini-i. The Apache is an active preamp first and foremost, so it is ideal for low-voltage sources.

Grokit that was a very informative post. The XDA-1 looks very nice, have you heard it? 

Apr 29, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #715 of 1,055
I ordered it but it didn't have enough voltage for my speaker amp to pick up a decent signal, so I sent it back without really listening to it. Pretty much the opposite of your issue. The amp I wanted it to work with works perfectly with the Mini-i balanced and Devilsound dac cable SE though, so it likes a 2-volt source. It's confusing even to the manufacturers, as the prototype of the XDA-1 was too loud for many people who were probably hooking them up to units more like yours. So they said they were putting a logarithmic volume control or something, but the specs reveal that they just changed it to a 1 volt output level. It seems like the prototype would have worked well for me, so for my needs they overcompensated. I have read glowing reviews of it in other forums though, very musical with good detail as well and a great low end once you get it matched up right in your system. It also comes with a milled aluminum remote the size of a deck of cards, very cool.

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #718 of 1,055
After reading a number of reviews and dac/amp headphone synergy, I pulled the trigger on the Matrix Mini-i this morning.  My current setup is the FiiO E7/E9 with Senn HD600's.  The combo sounds a little too clinical for me.  From what i've read, the Mini-i has a tubey sound and it maybe a better match for my Senn's.  It also opens up the door for adding a better amp down the road.  When it comes in, I'll try it on its own until break in and they try the FiiO E9 with it.  Also eyeing the Lyr.
Anyway.. down anyone have any experience with the Mini-i and HD600's?

Apr 29, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #719 of 1,055
I do, the Mini-i actually drives the HD600 pretty decently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back