Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Apr 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #691 of 1,055

Quote:
anyhow does anyone know the difference between the unbalanced and balanced outputs of the LDMKVII+?  I've connected the LD to the Matrix Mini via XLR interconnects, and can also plug in headphones to the headphone out ( unbalanced ), so what's the difference between listening to the unbalanced vs balanced output in this case?

Are you asking the difference in SQ or the differences between what's going on in the circuitry? 
Just note that if you don't connect your headphones to the balanced out of the LD you are not getting a balanced signal. 

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #692 of 1,055
Both I guess difference in sound quality if any? Meaning what's the difference if I connect my headphones via the balanced output as well as the unbalanced one? What makes the sound 'balanced'?    All components must be balanced?

Apr 13, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #693 of 1,055
If connected with the Mini-i through the XLRs you will get both balance and SE outputs at once.  You can drive both headphone outputs at once.  The balance side will be a bit louder, sound wider and have a little more separation in the instruments.  The SE side will sound smaller and have a more focused soundstage.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #695 of 1,055
I ran a tube preamp/buffer out of the MIni-i's SE output and the sound out of my speakers really opened up.

Apr 13, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #696 of 1,055

Quote:
Both I guess difference in sound quality if any? Meaning what's the difference if I connect my headphones via the balanced output as well as the unbalanced one? What makes the sound 'balanced'?    All components must be balanced?

A single ended amp amplifies one signal in one amplifier. Single-ended could be referred to the amp's circuit topology or just to the headphone connection.

A balanced amp takes two out of phase/opposite signals from the source one goes + when the other goes - and amplifies them in two amplifiers and puts them together in the output transformer or at the headphone.

Some amps that people called balanced are actually push-pull amps. A push pull amp takes the single ended input and puts it into a phase inverter that makes two out of phase/balanced signals that are amplified in two amplifiers
and put back together in the output transformer and comes out single ended.

Sorry sunneebear but your explanation is not entirely correct. If you use the XLR connectors to a balanced amp you will only get a balanced signal not unbalanced. The reason balanced amps tend to sound better is because you are actually using two amps to amplify the sound which is why they are mostly expensive. Balanced amps that sell cheap are generally cutting corners somewhere and are not very good.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #698 of 1,055
If you do that you will not get any sound. You need to tell the amp that you are feeding in balanced or unbalanced input. For example if you take a look at the amp I have, it has plenty of balanced inputs and rca inputs(unbalanced). If I connect the matrix-mini using the xlr outputs to one of the balanced inputs and plug my headphones into the SE output I will not hear anything.

Apr 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #699 of 1,055

Quote:

Sorry sunneebear but your explanation is not entirely correct. If you use the XLR connectors to a balanced amp you will only get a balanced signal not unbalanced. The reason balanced amps tend to sound better is because you are actually using two amps to amplify the sound which is why they are mostly expensive. Balanced amps that sell cheap are generally cutting corners somewhere and are not very good.

With the LD MKVII+,  I don't know if it utilizes phase splitters or transformers but both headphone outputs work in their respective topology simultaneously whether the input is balance or SE.  The only difference is with  SE input, the balance output is about half the volume of using a balance input.  On a side note, the MKVII+ is a very powerful amp and has no problems running both output at once.  I've used it to drive both LCD2 and HE-6 at once.

Apr 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #700 of 1,055
The LD is a push-pull amp that uses a phase splitter for SE input/output. If you're using the TRS jack you're supposed to connect the amp using the RCA inputs. The fact that the differences between using balanced and unbalanced in your amp is so evident indicates that it is cutting corners somewhere. In higher quality balanced amps the differences are subtle at best, bass is a little tighter, details may be a little more evident, soundstage improved but that's about it.
I forgot to mention this earlier but another "supposed" advantage of balanced is a 1/4" jack has a common ground wire that can cause cross talk while a balanced cable with XLR plugs have a separate ground wire in each cable. Those grounds get tied together in the amp avoiding outside signal interference which is why a lot of professionals such as recording studios use it.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #701 of 1,055
Has anyone tried the Matrix Mini > LD MKVII+ combo with a pair of LCD2s? In your opinions which would be a better setup for the LCD2, the aforementioned setup or a Matrix Mini with Darkvoice 337 amp,  I'm thinking of selling off one but since I'm aiming for a LCD2 ( eventually ) I'll want to keep the amp with better synergy ( with the LCD2s )

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #703 of 1,055

Quote:
I love my MINI-I but i absolutely hate the clicky digital volume control! Is there any options out there where I can get rid of the clicky control?

How about the new Mini-i with the billet aluminum remote? No clicky with the remote.
biggrin.gif

I just got the 2011 version of the Mini-i with the remote. The fit and finish is excellent for the price. With the remote, it would also make a fine DAC/preamp for a stereo speaker system.
So far I have put 6 hours on it. It sounds darn good. It sounds more open then my other DACs, CS8406/WM8740 and DIR9001/AD1852.
The build-in amp is pretty decent with my LCD-2. The M-Stage sounds better. It sound the best with my modded T-amp. With the T-amp, I can hear a much bigger improvement between the Mini-i and my other DACs.
o2smile.gif

Apr 15, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #704 of 1,055

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Matrix Mini > LD MKVII+ combo with a pair of LCD2s? In your opinions which would be a better setup for the LCD2, the aforementioned setup or a Matrix Mini with Darkvoice 337 amp,  I'm thinking of selling off one but since I'm aiming for a LCD2 ( eventually ) I'll want to keep the amp with better synergy ( with the LCD2s )

That combo is my desktop rig.  I have never heard the Darkvoice.  For the money I don't think you can fine anything that will sound as good.  The LD MKVII+ is fast, clean and articulate with power to spare for the LCD2s.  I can drive both HE6 and LCD2 at the same time with no problems off the LD MKVII+ and thats just in low gain setting.  Unless you get a very good tube amp with very expensive tubes, I don't think that you can easily beat this combination, just my opinion.

Apr 15, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #705 of 1,055

Quote:
I love my MINI-I but i absolutely hate the clicky digital volume control! Is there any options out there where I can get rid of the clicky control?

Stepped attenuation does have its advantages. I really like the Mini-i's built-in amplifier for the fine control and even channel balance it offers to my IEMs at low power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back