Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Mar 26, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #647 of 1,055
IEMs all the way through HD6xx work out well with the Mini-i but not quite the 701s, they need more juice. Other low-impedance cans like AT, Grado and Ultrasones will work fine though. I'm really impressed with the way it handles IEMs with finesse but I listened to it with HD600s quite a bit as well.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #649 of 1,055
Great news, just what I was asking for way back at post #321!

jtam, could we please see some more photos of the new remote, plus photos of the new 2011 mini-i?

Any thoughts on adding a SPDIF processor loop too?

I am out of town for the annual meeting with Matrix now. I will upload more details when I am back in town.

What's an SPDIF processor loop?

Mar 27, 2011 at 12:58 PM Post #650 of 1,055
I'm pretty new to this hobby and I'm searching for a new DAC. I'm currently deciding between the Matrix Mini-I, the Matrix Cube and the Yulong U100.
Does anyone have any experience with the others to compare them?
The DAC would be mainly used with M-Audio BX5A Deluxe monitors so the headphone amp isn't that important to me.
Also, is the difference between a balanced XLR and a non balanced RCA to TRS that big? I mean, do you really hear a noticable difference between the two?

Thx!

Mar 27, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #651 of 1,055
I wonder if it's possible to easily retrofit an older Mini-i to use the new remote.

Mar 27, 2011 at 8:41 PM Post #652 of 1,055

Quote:
I'm pretty new to this hobby and I'm searching for a new DAC. I'm currently deciding between the Matrix Mini-I, the Matrix Cube and the Yulong U100.
Does anyone have any experience with the others to compare them?
The DAC would be mainly used with M-Audio BX5A Deluxe monitors so the headphone amp isn't that important to me.
Also, is the difference between a balanced XLR and a non balanced RCA to TRS that big? I mean, do you really hear a noticable difference between the two?

Thx!

If you have a balanced amp the sound quality difference is substantial IMO. Thre noise floor is dead black...no hum, no hiss just silence (music on pause and MKVII+ cranked all the way up). The music seems to have more impact, definition and soundstage.

Mar 29, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #657 of 1,055
We have to have a kit for retrofit the old mini-i with remote contol

Dear JTAM,

I own a Matrix mini-i ordered from you last Year. It works perfect! 

My only mod is to add an OSCON cap 10V - 10myF direct to the TCXO (+3.3V).

I enjoy to listen to the very best sound quality via Netbook, modyfied battery powered Hiface, big old but perfect modded Luxman power amp 5M21 and German Görlich / Electro voice  Lautspeakers!

However JTAM,

we really have to have a remote control !

Please offer a kit / some parts to change (even with soldering works DIY) to enable all mini-i user to mod their V1 to remote control !

I hope to hear some positive news from you in this regard!

Alfred

Mar 29, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #658 of 1,055

Quote:
Is this one recommended as HP amp for the AKG K701? They are pretty current hungry...

I dont think so.
I have the Matrix and the K702s.
The Matrix mini-i does not drive them too well, surely not to their full potential.
Now the Matrix m-stage headphone amplifier does the job of driving the K702s very nicley.
They are a match made in heaven. But it is an amplifier only, not a DAC.
I got a solution! Get both.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #659 of 1,055
An SPDIF processor loop routes the selected digital input to the "loop output", and then the "loop input" back into the DAC.  I'd use it to pass the incoming  signal through a DEQ2496 digital equalizer, for example.  It's like the tape loop on a standard integrated amplifier.  The NAD M2 digital amplifier has a processor loop for just this purpose. 

Quote:
I am out of town for the annual meeting with Matrix now. I will upload more details when I am back in town.

What's an SPDIF processor loop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back