Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #4,201 of 5,176
Quote:

I also noticed something............you changed your avatar. She's gorgeous, who is she?BTW, I don't notice the blue LED dimming when headphones are plugged, the LED is always the same brightness.

Wow, we've all moved past the LED and focused on the girl

she is pretty but... like ZOMG DAUGHTER pretty, she looks REALLY young... I've never been one for those YOUNG looking women! 

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #4,202 of 5,176
lol that's the same girl as my previous avatar - my ex-friend's ex-wife's ex-coworker (literally) and my future wife (not so literally), Nina Dobrev. She's 24, two years younger than me, perfect age :)  
Back to reality: the light only dims with my HD600, not my other headphones or IEMs. Weird, but hey it sounds good, so whatever.

Aug 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #4,203 of 5,176
lol that's the same girl as my previous avatar - my ex-friend's ex-wife's ex-coworker (literally) and my future wife (not so literally), Nina Dobrev. She's 24, two years younger than me, perfect age :)  
Back to reality: the light only dims with my HD600, not my other headphones or IEMs. Weird, but hey it sounds good, so whatever.

Sorry, I hope I wasn't asking a personal question! I just assumed she was a model or an actress! Edit: nevermind, I just googled her, she IS a model/actress! (slaps forehead!)

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #4,205 of 5,176
Back on Topic, k550 come in today. On the Matrix with a LME 49990 OP amp at +10 Gain [it needed it for thickness]

Positives, K550 on M Stage had awesome dyanmics, sound stage and 3D imaging, and upper treble AND SUPER tight Bass

BAD K550 had BAD lower mids, 150hrz-450/500 ish sounded sucked out

These can's while having good bass, can NOT WOBBLE. What a shame. They lack aggressive punchy lower mids, drums also sounded a little life less >.>

A Full review TOMMOROW! And I did NOT have any fit issues [trust me that bass was DAMN sexy deep and tight] 

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #4,206 of 5,176
lol. She is indeed an actress. I thought the "not so literally" gave away that I was joking. :)

Oh well, I guess I'm not getting a wedding invitation then? :p
I'm in the neighbourhood if it does work out for you two!

Aug 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4,207 of 5,176
Pretty impressed with this thing so far. Hooked it up to my Audioengine D1 and set the gain to 18. With the volume knob on the D1 turned all the way up, I turned the volume on the M-State all the way up and could hear no audible hiss on my Q701s. Pretty impressive. Played a variety of music and dynamics are definitely improved over the D1's integrated amp. Looking forward to trying it out with some surround gaming when I get home.

Aug 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #4,208 of 5,176
Just got my tracking number from Jeffery and my M Stage has arrived in Bangkok. That means I will probably get it delivered to my home Monday. That will be less than one week from my order date. Tam Audio service is excellent! I ordered the following opamps to upgrade:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LME49710HA-X2-Adaptor-/180872434827?

Strangely the company that makes these is also in Thailand but way up North. Seems they reserve up to two weeks to ship from order so I imagine they order the parts when they receive a customer order. Anyway, since they are in Thailand the shipping should be fast. I don't know if anyone here has tried that opamp combo so I will report back when I receive it. I just received a new WA-2 last week so I can compare. I have no doubt the WA-2 is better but it will be an interesting comparison. I mostly bought this because I wanted to change off to solid state on occasion. I also have a La Figaro 332C tube amp that I just repaired so I can add that to the mix. 

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #4,209 of 5,176
Quote:
Back on Topic, k550 come in today. On the Matrix with a LME 49990 OP amp at +10 Gain [it needed it for thickness]

Positives, K550 on M Stage had awesome dyanmics, sound stage and 3D imaging, and upper treble AND SUPER tight Bass

BAD K550 had BAD lower mids, 150hrz-450/500 ish sounded sucked out

These can's while having good bass, can NOT WOBBLE. What a shame. They lack aggressive punchy lower mids, drums also sounded a little life less >.>

A Full review TOMMOROW! And I did NOT have any fit issues [trust me that bass was DAMN sexy deep and tight] 

Damnit, well the Akg K550 sound exactly how I want them do, the lack of mids was due to them being uhh well bad placement, and not so much seal. I moved the back of the cups towards my ears and BAM there where those Lower Mids... the problem now though Is that I am broke... I can BARELY afford this EPIC sounding cans... BUT some quick Ebay price drops and a few returns and I should be golden! Then I get to review and ultimatly return the Ath a900x as I DOUBT it will have the tight bass that these sexy monsters have! 

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #4,210 of 5,176
Quote:
Damnit, well the Akg K550 sound exactly how I want them do, the lack of mids was due to them being uhh well bad placement, and not so much seal. I moved the back of the cups towards my ears and BAM there where those Lower Mids... the problem now though Is that I am broke... I can BARELY afford this EPIC sounding cans... BUT some quick Ebay price drops and a few returns and I should be golden! Then I get to review and ultimatly return the Ath a900x as I DOUBT it will have the tight bass that these sexy monsters have! 

There have been endless posts in this thread that confirm AKG headphones pair especially well with the M Stage. I have owned many different headphones but have never tried AKG. Is the 702 the top of their line? Seems like they don't try to compete with the T1's and the HD800's or the LCD3's of the world. They are more consumer oriented and they produce studio equipment. Excellent mid level phones.

Aug 17, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #4,211 of 5,176
Quote:
There have been endless posts in this thread that confirm AKG headphones pair especially well with the M Stage. I have owned many different headphones but have never tried AKG. Is the 702 the top of their line? Seems like they don't try to compete with the T1's and the HD800's or the LCD3's of the world. They are more consumer oriented and they produce studio equipment. Excellent mid level phones.

Indeed, and honestly. The Akg K550 needs 0 gain, after using my w1000x during my review and noticing the 7-3pm volume adjustment, i remember that some songs are mastered quietly. And require more volume on every headphone. 

Although, [and thank gawd for this] the K550 even with the Matrix M and a LEAN op amp, lacks the clarity and smooth refienment of both the Dt 990 and the w1000x, trust me Wooden Housing, and Open Backs are heavenly for mids and treble, how ever... the K550 does one thing better than the w1000x and that's BASS. It's much MUCH tighter, as tight as the Dt 990 even :O

Either way it's a great can, and it isolates amazingly! Making it a perfect choice for my portable needs 

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM Post #4,212 of 5,176
Quote:
Oh well, I guess I'm not getting a wedding invitation then?
tongue.gif

I'm in the neighbourhood if it does work out for you two!

I'd love to give you a wedding invitation, because that would mean I'm the luckiest guy in the world. But first I gotta get a little closer with her, closer than being her former coworker's former husband's former friend 
redface.gif
 lol

Where's Tarana? Isn't that like an Indian dance or something?

Quote:

Glad it all worked out for you! Where do they sit in your collection? Not as good as the W1000x I would imagine?

Aug 17, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #4,213 of 5,176
Quote:
I'd love to give you a wedding invitation, because that would mean I'm the luckiest guy in the world. But first I gotta get a little closer with her, closer than being her former coworker's former husband's former friend 
redface.gif
 lol

Where's Tarana? Isn't that like an Indian dance or something?

Glad it all worked out for you! Where do they sit in your collection? Not as good as the W1000x I would imagine?

Well, Stock w1000x would get mopped by the Akg K55

But over all yea the Beyer Dt 990 and w1000x respectively out perform the Akg K550 in their "Happy time" genres. 

Dt- 990 Classical, EDM, Nu Jazz 
W1000x- Rock, Classical Jazz, Orchestral, Vocal, World Music, Some Classical 

The Akg K550, is not as picky yet it's also lacks the... magic or the real... just sheer bliss each can and genre have. It [like the Beyer Dt 880] is a very good EVERYTHING can, how ever it does not care much for poorly recorded music, and it does Classical Jazz... seemingly well. Nu Jazz is nice <3

Basically it will do EXACTLY what I need it to! Serve as an excellent portable headphone! As the isolation and fit are super easy. Just have to see how she's sound out of the JDS Labs C5 on Moday! 

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #4,214 of 5,176
So I took the top off my newly purchased M-Stage w/OPA627 to take a peak at the op amp mod. There were two strips of yellow making tape on it, I guess put there so it didn't come dislodged during shipping. Should I leave it there or better to take it off? Here's a pic after a peeled them back a bit to check out the op amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back