Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Jan 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #3,511 of 5,176
Yes, the Q701 needs more gain than the ERP4 which is more efficient.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3,512 of 5,176
Thanks.
Setting it to 20dB, the Q701 still sounds funny, and ER4P is unbalanced: left side is a lot more upfront than right.

I will probably try to go to a local stereo store and find a better source to test Q701 again...
Since it requires more power than ER4P to drive, it's possible that the distortion and amplification of source noise is much bigger, and thus the source needs to be much cleaner.... But based on what I read on this forum, that shouldn't be so dramatic... But again, I am not expecting different gain settings would mess up ER4P's balance, so anything is possible and only trial and error can tell...

Will definitely report back when I do have a chance to test again.

Jan 18, 2013 at 8:30 PM Post #3,513 of 5,176
Quote:
Thanks.
Setting it to 20dB, the Q701 still sounds funny, and ER4P is unbalanced: left side is a lot more upfront than right.

I will probably try to go to a local stereo store and find a better source to test Q701 again...
Since it requires more power than ER4P to drive, it's possible that the distortion and amplification of source noise is much bigger, and thus the source needs to be much cleaner.... But based on what I read on this forum, that shouldn't be so dramatic... But again, I am not expecting different gain settings would mess up ER4P's balance, so anything is possible and only trial and error can tell...

Will definitely report back when I do have a chance to test again.

This is very strange indeed. If you had the imbalance in both the headphones and earphones it would be easy to track down. Good luck! 

Jan 19, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #3,514 of 5,176
This is probably not it, but are you sure it's not the headphone socket on the M stage?-Occasionally my K701 sounds weird and unbalanced when i first plug them in, but when i give the headphone jack a little spin in the socket it becomes normal again..
Just thought i would mention it. 
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #3,515 of 5,176
This is probably not it, but are you sure it's not the headphone socket on the M stage?-Occasionally my K701 sounds weird and unbalanced when i first plug them in, but when i give the headphone jack a little spin in the socket it becomes normal again..
Just thought i would mention it. :smile:

If tats the case then its faulty..it must be having bad connection to the board..i would contact seller and ask for repair/replacement.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:09 AM Post #3,517 of 5,176
You save my day!!
The problem is Q701's 3.5mm to 1/4 inch converter that comes with it!

I changed it to the old one coming with my AKG 240, and it solves the issue! It works with DT880's converter, too.

I'm so stupid.... in retrospect, the cause was quite obvious, when Q701 sounds better through iphone's 3.5mm headphone jack than M-stage's 1/4 inch output....

Thank you musicbased!

This is quite dissapointing on AKG's part... Good thing the headphone itself is not a lemon, just the converter...

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #3,518 of 5,176
about the unbalance... it's completely due to my noobiness and carelessness...

I didn't realize that the two sets of gain controls are controlling left and right channels separately... I thought they are for input 1 and input 2 separately.

I'm confused by this design though... Why would anyone want to have different volumes coming out from left and right sides?
Are there any technical reason for this design? 

Thanks!

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:05 AM Post #3,519 of 5,176

I didn't realize that the two sets of gain controls are controlling left and right channels separately... I thought they are for input 1 and input 2 separately.

I'm confused by this design though... Why would anyone want to have different volumes coming out from left and right sides?

Thanks!

I dont know also...maybe just a joke of the designer?..but check my amp..its even worse!..i even have two volume knobs, two on-off switches and even two power cables..lolz.. :D

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #3,521 of 5,176
Quote:

Thanks!

Nobody wants two different volumes from left and right! 
wink_face.gif

They would have to use a more expensive switch than the little switches you see on the bottom of the M Stage.
So you could say it keeps the costs down.
Most people set gain to 10 dB with Q701 and leave it there.....forever.

I just compared 5 different phone pre-amps, they all have that funny feature: separate switches for left and right.
It's even worse, because you can adjust:
input resistance
input capacitance
pre-amp gain
subsonice filter
but all switches are separate for left and right! 
But once you set the switches the way you want them, you never change them unless you change to another phono cartridge.

Seems to be  mark of passage for M Stage owners, they all need to mix up gain settings.

beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #3,522 of 5,176
Jc89, glad you got it figured out. Now open the case, remove the opamp, and replace with 637AP. I bet you'll like what you hear.

Jan 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #3,523 of 5,176
Quote:
Jc89, glad you got it figured out. Now open the case, remove the opamp, and replace with 637AP. I bet you'll like what you hear.

Do NOT do this!

Under certain conditions (Gain set to 0 or 10 dB) the Op Amp will probably oscillate.

Stick to the OPA627 or any other unity gain stable Op Amp.

Jan 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #3,524 of 5,176
Do NOT do this!

Under certain conditions (Gain set to 0 or 10 dB) the Op Amp will probably oscillate.

Stick to the OPA627 or any other unity gain stable Op Amp.

To do or not..the opa627 sounds almost the same as opa637..and yes..the opa637 CAN oscillate on lower gains..its wellknown..it gets stabile on 18db and forth... So in my opinion the opa627 is a good update choice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back