Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #3,376 of 5,176
I sent an e-mail just now. I just want to be 100% sure that I get the latest version. If this is too much of a headache...I might just go get an Asgard. Is the Asgard as versatile/good sounding as the M-Stage? 

Why u want the last version persee? All versions of mstage sounds good..and for me the version 1 sounds warmer and more neutral then the newer version..so for me its a nobrainer..the asgard is a completely different amp...more in ur face amp..also a very good amp for the money!..if thats ur thing..u better forget mstage and go directly for a shiit..imho u cant compare those two..maybe only in pricing..
For me..if u buy from a reputable seller (tamaudio) u will get the most recent model. If its 1.1 or 1.2..for me..and i know..i just sold mine 2weeks ago..the version 1.0 of 2011 stays my favorite for laidback listening to my he300 that i had..only when i changed to the he500 just recently i bought my 337. But ofcourse this is how i feel about it.. I would look for a good condition mstage of 2011..it will be much cheaper and as the quality of the amp is excellent it will be faultless for many years to come :D
Good luck with ur search :wink:

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #3,377 of 5,176
How does the M-Stage compare to the Lyr? I know it's SS vs Tube, but just so I know I'm making the right decision, value wise. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #3,378 of 5,176
How does the M-Stage compare to the Lyr? I know it's SS vs Tube, but just so I know I'm making the right decision, value wise. 

Its SS vs hybrid actually :D

i never made a 1 to 1 comparision between both asi sold the mstage since i now have a 337...but i did owned a modded mstage for a year and i did listen to the lyr for at least an hour seperately..so i do this from memory..and all i can say is..compared to the mstage the lyr is a powerhouse.. Allthough i loved the mstage the lyr is a step up..but then again it does cost almost double.. If u have a hard to drive phone and ur budget is around 400.. Then this is the amp to go..and u can upgrade it with other tubes to improve it... I did find it to be a bit blurry on the lcd2 rev 2 and he500 compared to my excellent 337.. For around 400 the shiit is a great deal..as is the matrix for 249. Imho

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #3,379 of 5,176
Quote:

Its SS vs hybrid actually
biggrin.gif

i never made a 1 to 1 comparision between both asi sold the mstage since i now have a 337...but i did owned a modded mstage for a year and i did listen to the lyr for at least an hour seperately..so i do this from memory..and all i can say is..compared to the mstage the lyr is a powerhouse.. Allthough i loved the mstage the lyr is a step up..but then again it does cost almost double.. If u have a hard to drive phone and ur budget is around 400.. Then this is the amp to go..and u can upgrade it with other tubes to improve it... I did find it to be a bit blurry on the lcd2 rev 2 and he500 compared to my excellent 337.. For around 400 the shiit is a great deal..as is the matrix for 249. Imho

I had a very similar experience with the Lyr, I own an M Stage and tried a Lyr out one day.
I agree, the Lyr is a step up!

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #3,380 of 5,176
Quote:

Its SS vs hybrid actually
biggrin.gif

Quote:

I had a very similar experience with the Lyr, I own an M Stage and tried a Lyr out one day.
I agree, the Lyr is a step up!

Thanks for the responses guys! Good to know! 

Dec 5, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #3,382 of 5,176
I'm not too versed with turntables and how they work, but would it be able to hook one up directly to the M-stage into the rca input? Or is something else needed in between?

Yes, you need "something else".
You need a phono pre-amp.
I think the cheaper ones start at $100.00 and up.

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #3,383 of 5,176
Quote:
Yes, you need "something else".
You need a phono pre-amp.
I think the cheaper ones start at $100.00 and up.

Yes, and I'd advise spending closer to 200 as a minimum.

Dec 7, 2012 at 11:15 PM Post #3,384 of 5,176
Quote:

If headphones are plugged in, the preamp output can not be heard.

If headphones are not plugged in, the preamp output can be heard.

This is what my M-Stage does anyway.

Quote:
Can someone please confirm for me that the pre-outs are not muted when headphones are inserted?  Isn't this a problem for anyone who wants to use it as both?  I mean, speaker sound reaching (often open) headphones and no ability to quiet speakers, such as in an office or late at night?

Although this was 2 weeks 5 days ago posted, I am just reading back from when I left off from this thread, but my with my Matrix, I can hear both headphones and speakers at the same time, i'm not sure why this is different for everyone  else but I prefer it like this. Could 'burn in' headphones whilst actually listening to the music using speakers for e.g. 
|

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM Post #3,386 of 5,176
Quote:
Why u want the last version persee? All versions of mstage sounds good..and for me the version 1 sounds warmer and more neutral then the newer version..so for me its a nobrainer..the asgard is a completely different amp...more in ur face amp..also a very good amp for the money!..if thats ur thing..u better forget mstage and go directly for a shiit..imho u cant compare those two..maybe only in pricing..
For me..if u buy from a reputable seller (tamaudio) u will get the most recent model. If its 1.1 or 1.2..for me..and i know..i just sold mine 2weeks ago..the version 1.0 of 2011 stays my favorite for laidback listening to my he300 that i had..only when i changed to the he500 just recently i bought my 337. But ofcourse this is how i feel about it.. I would look for a good condition mstage of 2011..it will be much cheaper and as the quality of the amp is excellent it will be faultless for many years to come
biggrin.gif

Good luck with ur search
wink.gif

How can it be both warmer and more neutral?  Do you mean the version 1 is warmer, but version two more neutral?

Dec 10, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #3,387 of 5,176
Quote:
How can it be both warmer and more neutral?  Do you mean the version 1 is warmer, but version two more neutral?

yes thats what i mean..sorry for the confusement..the newer one has a more US apreciated tuned sound then the chinese appreciated more darker tuned sound v.1 has

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #3,388 of 5,176
What headphones were you using with the Lyr?  Do you think it would be better for something like k701s than the M stage?

I used the AKG Q701s.
Based on a short listen, I thought it sounded better than the Q and M Stage.
It added a bit of warmth and fullness and just sounded "right".

Hey, this is post 2100!

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #3,390 of 5,176
Quote:
I have one of these units coming in a couple of weeks. Looking into better OP-AMPs right now. Is anything objectively more resolving than Class A Biased LM4562?

Thanks!
smile.gif

opa627 opamps imho check tamaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back