Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 2, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #3,361 of 5,176
Quote:
Oooooh I see. LOL! Thanks for letting me know.

Any possibility that I might've damaged the headphones while I had it at the highest settings? I do remember hearing some noise without hearing any music turned on, and possibly some distortion. But I have no idea if that was because of the headphone or because of the recording/source...

Nah no way of damaging, unless you were listening to abnormally loud volumes for extended periods, but you would have done damage to your ears long before damaging the phones.

But I really feel like Matrix failed with the gain sticker on this. Pretty much everyone confuses it for the reverse.

Dec 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #3,362 of 5,176
Quote:
Nah no way of damaging, unless you were listening to abnormally loud volumes for extended periods, but you would have done damage to your ears long before damaging the phones.

Got it. Thank you very much.

And, yea... glad to know I wasn't the only one confused by the sticker. LOL.

Dec 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3,363 of 5,176
Got it. Thank you very much.

And, yea... glad to know I wasn't the only one confused by the sticker. LOL.

Mine was reversed also..a form member told me just try all positions..lowest level is then 0db..thats how i did it..lolz

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #3,365 of 5,176
How's the synergy of the Matrix with a HE-400? 

I used the matrix to burn in my he500 and before that i used it two months with my now sold he400 and before that a year with my also sold he300... And for my ears it sounded just great..a bit bright with the he400.. But it had enough power to drive both the he500 and thr he400 on 10db gain..the he300 was best on db gain of 0 ..But i did have the class a biassed opa627 mod in it..maybe that helped.

Dec 2, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #3,366 of 5,176
I used the matrix to burn in my he500 and before that i used it two months with my now sold he400 and before that a year with my also sold he300... And for my ears it sounded just great..a bit bright with the he400.. But it had enough power to drive both the he500 and thr he400 on 10db gain..the he300 was best on db gain of 0 ..But i did have the class a biassed opa627 mod in it..maybe that helped.

Oi!
A Class A biased Op Amp may change the sound of the M Stage but it does not make the amp more powerful.

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #3,368 of 5,176
Oi!
A Class A biased Op Amp may change the sound of the M Stage but it does not make the amp more powerful.

I meant soundwise..as the 627 makes the sound a bit warmer.. The amp itself had enough juice to power my he500

Dec 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #3,369 of 5,176
Does anyone if the Matrix M-Stages on Amazon being sold by Tam-Audio are the latest version? 

Tam audio is the original seller of matrix mstage..so yeah..they sell the newest versions..they even sell already modded mstages with opa upgrades..ready to go.. And i have good experience with them..

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #3,370 of 5,176
Quote:
Tam audio is the original seller of matrix mstage..so yeah..they sell the newest versions..they even sell already modded mstages with opa upgrades..ready to go.. And i have good experience with them..

Really? On Amazon it says "[size=small]2010 version" and the pictures don't have grills...I'm also seeing "2012 1.2 version" on eBay. Are you sure that it is the latest M-Stage? Very sketchy... [/size]

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:12 PM Post #3,371 of 5,176
Really? On Amazon it says "[size=small]2010 version" and the pictures don't have grills...I'm also seeing "2012 1.2 version" on eBay. Are you sure that it is the latest M-Stage? Very sketchy... [/size]

Thats weird indeed..check their site directly : tamaudio.com. As far i know the latest version is 2012 v1..i heard there is a matrix electronics in usa..but i dont have experience with them..those have the slotted sides..the tamaudio version doesnt have those as far i know.but as far i know all reviews with the mstage i found on net, the models were provided by tamaudio.
Hope this info helps..ps..its said that the older versions sound a bit more natural then the newer versions..

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3,372 of 5,176
Dec 2, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #3,373 of 5,176
Quote:

Yes, TamAudio is legit, and is a official distributor for matrix gear.

Check out the matrix's actual website under :Contact Us":
http://www.matrix-digi.com/english/lxwm.asp

Quote:
Asian Agency:
Tam Audio

Dec 2, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #3,374 of 5,176
Quote:

Yes, TamAudio is legit, and is a official distributor for matrix gear.

Check out the matrix's actual website under :Contact Us":
http://www.matrix-digi.com/english/lxwm.asp

I sent an e-mail just now. I just want to be 100% sure that I get the latest version. If this is too much of a headache...I might just go get an Asgard. Is the Asgard as versatile/good sounding as the M-Stage? 

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #3,375 of 5,176
Ok guys,here it is...

Got my dip-8 sockets this afternoon.Having only one OPA2227 I soldered the two 5.6k resistors on the socket so that I could switch between biased and unbiased configuration.As a procedure,switching was not that easy (one resistor was cut off while trying) as the position  of the resistors makes unpluging difficult.Anyway,the result was so obvious that switching twice sufficed...! It was more obvious than switching between 2227 and 2134.Listening to the same songs for the past month seems to have helped distinguishing subtle changes.''Paper Airplane" album by Alison Krauss and Union Station at a 24/96 recording and there it was:
    Bass got a little deeper.I felt I didn't have to use the extra gradually decreased 6db-3db gain of the 50Hz-220Hz bands on foobar's equilizer( AKG K701....yes I know....)
    Mids came out warm and highs  were less sibilant.Some slight granulation previously present in the vocals, vanished completely.My overall impression was that sound came out in a more tamed and civilized way without losing any detail.I detected a  tiny decrease in openess but nothing diminishing the overall improvemet. I'm quite happy with the result and biased OPA2227 is a keeper.How much better can Matrix sound anyway? I don't think I'll bother trying the 627 setup.
The op-amp is running some 10-15 C hotter (~38-40C right after switch on so I guess higher than this a couple of hours later) but nothing to worry about since it can handle temps up to 85 C.I think I could use one of those mini heat sinks used in VGA's RAM chips.Wouldn't hurt anyway...

DONE!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back