Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Aug 30, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3,091 of 5,176
Quote:
Actually, virtually ALL new receivers or integrated amps have headphone outputs that are derived from the speaker outputs. They don't have separate cheap headphone out circuits like many people think. Some more expensive ones do have separate high quality headphone circuits, but virtually every unit up to 1000-1500$ doesn't.

so, just el-cheapo attenuating ccts, then?  if that's the case, then i stand corrected.
back to the matrix.

Aug 30, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #3,092 of 5,176
Quote:
so, just el-cheapo attenuating ccts, then?  if that's the case, then i stand corrected.
back to the matrix.

Yeah, I'm not big on using the jack on a receiver.
My pre-amp does not hae a headphone jack so I was forced by these dire circumstances to procure a headphone amp.

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #3,094 of 5,176
I made it a full four days without checking on my M-Stage order from Tam Audio. While I haven't received any shipping notice (or tracking number), the site says my order is "Completed".

Does this mean my package is on the way?

Out of impatience, I ordered a Fiio E5 from Amazon (with next-day delivery for $4) to test with my BD player. It's a very nice unit, especially for the price, and now even BR discs with large dynamic range are audible and sound good through my plastic headphones.

I still want the dual RCA inputs and other features of the M-Stage.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #3,095 of 5,176
Quote:
I made it a full four days without checking on my M-Stage order from Tam Audio. While I haven't received any shipping notice (or tracking number), the site says my order is "Completed".

Does this mean my package is on the way?

Out of impatience, I ordered a Fiio E5 from Amazon (with next-day delivery for $4) to test with my BD player. It's a very nice unit, especially for the price, and now even BR discs with large dynamic range are audible and sound good through my plastic headphones.

I still want the dual RCA inputs and other features of the M-Stage.

Sort of sounds like it has shipped.
But you didn't get a tracking #, so I guess your credit is good, and the amp is ready to be shipped.
confused_face_2.gif

I'm sure I got a tracking number with my order.

Sep 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #3,096 of 5,176
Quote:
Quote:

Does this mean my package is on the way? [...]

Sort of sounds like it has shipped.
But you didn't get a tracking #, so I guess your credit is good, and the amp is ready to be shipped.
confused_face_2.gif

I'm sure I got a tracking number with my order.

You reminded me of what I should already have done. Thanks.

My bank has in the past declined charges from vendors in Hong Kong, Singapore, England, and even Virginia Beach (VA) until I call and ask for approval. Plus, the bill arrived Thursday, too late for the transaction to appear. By calling them just now, after only seven minutes negotiating their stupid automated-response system, I learned that the charge was authorized the day after I placed the order. It was the same day in China.

I still haven't received an email confirmation much as I'd like to. One poster said he (she?) received confirmation the day after the amp arrived. I don't think I'll need to do this but at the worst I have 30 (60?) days to contest the charge after if first appears on my bill.

The FIIO E5 is really nice. If the M-Stage sounds as good, it will have been more than worth the wait.

Sep 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #3,097 of 5,176
When I ordered my M-Stage last year, I also had to wait quite a while before I received an email with tracking number, etc..If I recall I got the tracking a day or two before it was actually delivered!

Keep an eye by the front door, you may be pleasantly surprised anyday now

Sep 2, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #3,098 of 5,176
I would be really interested to hear what version you get of the M-Stage from Tam Audio.  I just asked the same question regarding version.

The web page shows the former version (no vents), yet the description says "2012 v.1" version...hopefully meaning v2.1.  I'll update the thread when I get a response.

The poor packaging for the shipping worries me too.  $250 from China is a lot of money and a long way to go with crap packaging.  And the cost to do a return/exchange would be considerable...

Any current M-Stage owners:  How much of a difference would you expect the vents to actually make?  Does your unit get very hot without them?  They must have included them for a reason (or possibly just a marketing ploy to justify a 'new' version).

And does anyone know the reliability/authenticity of matrixelectronics.net?
http://www.matrixelectronics.net/matrix-m-stage-headphone-amplifier-amp-black-color-p-190.html

Sep 2, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #3,099 of 5,176
Quote:

Any current M-Stage owners:  How much of a difference would you expect the vents to actually make?  Does your unit get very hot without them?  They must have included them for a reason (or possibly just a marketing ploy to justify a 'new' version).

Mine is v 2.1 (with vents) and it gets quite hot after an hour or so. I noticed increased temps after I did the caps bypass mod, but I might be wrong for that. It's a-class biased too. So at ambient temps around 27-30 C it gets quite hot in that configuration after an hour or so, after that it just maintains that temp, so the vents are a good idea, and even better if the amp is placed on the right place.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #3,100 of 5,176
Quote:

Mine is v 2.1 (with vents) and it gets quite hot after an hour or so. I noticed increased temps after I did the caps bypass mod, but I might be wrong for that. It's a-class biased too. So at ambient temps around 27-30 C it gets quite hot in that configuration after an hour or so, after that it just maintains that temp, so the vents are a good idea, and even better if the amp is placed on the right place.

Cool, thanks...looks like 2.1 is worth the hunt then.   Where did you end up buying yours from?

Thanks

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,102 of 5,176
Quote:

Cool, thanks...looks like 2.1 is worth the hunt then.   Where did you end up buying yours from?

Thanks

Tam Audio

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #3,103 of 5,176
Quote:

After spending 12 years working with thermal analysis teams in the Telecom industry, I can tell you that adding vents (especially on the sides!) makes very little difference.
To increase the cooling effectively, you would need to thermally bond the heatsinks to the case or use some type of forced air cooling.
Adding vents to the sides does little or nothing because hot air flows like molasses.

The Op Amp Class A mod adds very little heat.

Guess??   if you bypassed the input caps, assuming your source has no DC offset, this mod will not affect heating/cooling/temperature rise. 
The main thing is to make sure your source has no DC offset on it's output.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #3,104 of 5,176
Thanks for the input Chris J, yes, I have checked the DC offset.
I assumed that if the amp is placed in well ventilated space (unlike where I have placed mine) the vents will be helpful.

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #3,105 of 5,176
Quote:
Thanks for the input Chris J, yes, I have checked the DC offset.
I assumed that if the amp is placed in well ventilated space (unlike where I have placed mine) the vents will be helpful.

And thank you for replying.
I think the M sounds better with the bypass.
biggrin.gif
  What do you think?

But I would not want a new Headphone and M Stage owner to damage their 'phones, so I think it bears repeating, even if most of us are sick of hearing it!
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back