Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Sep 4, 2012 at 7:25 AM Post #3,121 of 5,176
Quote:
Off topic, I'm still puzzled with this one;

Does anyone know how the gain switches work?

How does using the gains affect the sound signature and performance?

Not too sure what you are actually asking, but I'll try to answer.

The gain switches decrease or increase the voltage gain of the amplifier to compensate for different sensitivity headphones.
They do not really affect the maximum power the Matrix can deliver.
20 dB is obviously loudest & for very low sensitivity 'phones, 0 dB is obviously quietest gain setting and is used with highest sensitivity 'phones.
In theory it should not affect the sound signature, but in practice, most people don't like the sound of 20 dB of gain on the Matrix M.
I think most M users prefer 10 dB of gain.

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:06 AM Post #3,122 of 5,176
Quote:
The gain switches decrease or increase the voltage gain of the amplifier to compensate for different sensitivity headphones. They do not really affect the maximum power the Matrix can deliver.

Thanks Chris, I wasn't aware the switches controlled voltage.

I imagine high gains with low impedance headphones would simply be annoying. Though I am still curious about how it affects the sound for these people, or why people would prefer a 10dB gain.

Also, would a voltage gain influence operating temperature? I'm trying to learn if having my volume at 5 o'clock with a 0dB gain, or the volume at about 9 o'clock on an 18dB gain has a difference. It's the same volume, but there are different variables involved. Is there potentially something that is bad for the amplifier or sound?

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3,123 of 5,176
Quote:

Thanks Chris, I wasn't aware the switches controlled voltage.

I imagine high gains with low impedance headphones would simply be annoying. Though I am still curious about how it affects the sound for these people, or why people would prefer a 10dB gain.

Also, would a voltage gain influence operating temperature? I'm trying to learn if having my volume at 5 o'clock with a 0dB gain, or the volume at about 9 o'clock on an 18dB gain has a difference. It's the same volume, but there are different variables involved. Is there potentially something that is bad for the amplifier or sound?

The switches only control the voltage gain of the amplifier.
They do not change the maximum voltage the Matrix can output.
Of course, it is possible to set the gain to 0dB, and if you have very low sensitivity 'phones, you may not have enough volume, even when volume control is full clockwise.

As for why people don't like the sound of 20 dB of gain, I'm not sure why.
I've tried it, and I prefer the sound of 10 dB of gain.
Logically & theoretically, it makes very little sense! I just feel it sounds better at 10 dB of gain!
My only guess is there is less negative feedback at 20 dB of gain (which is true) and we don't like the added distortion (just guessing here).

You do bring up a good point:
when set to 20 dB of gain with 62 Ohm Q701s, the volume control is turned way down and left to right channel imbalance becomes a problem because the channel to channel matching is not very good in the volume control when turned down to approx. 9-10 o'clock.

Voltage gain does not affect operating temperature.
In theory, it should not matter to the amp if:
 - gain is set high and volume control is set low
or
 - gain is set low and volume control is set high
to get the same volume.

However, if you decide to roll in different Op Amps, it is wise to use a gain of 10 dB or more as the replacement Op Amp you use might oscillate at 0 dBs of gain.
You can check this with an oscilloscope, but you need to have an oscilloscope!
redface.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3,124 of 5,176
thanks for the replies to my questions everyone.

Got responses from Tam Audio as well - they said they are the latest version with the side vents.

The reports on the shipping concerns me a bit though.

Sep 6, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #3,125 of 5,176
Quote:
The reports on the shipping concerns me a bit though.

Cross your fingers on this one, but I get the impression that Tam was rushing out orders leading up to his holiday. Perhaps things are back to normal now.

Quote:
The switches only control the voltage gain of the amplifier.
They do not change the maximum voltage the Matrix can output.
Of course, it is possible to set the gain to 0dB, and if you have very low sensitivity 'phones, you may not have enough volume, even when volume control is full clockwise.

As for why people don't like the sound of 20 dB of gain, I'm not sure why.
I've tried it, and I prefer the sound of 10 dB of gain.
Logically & theoretically, it makes very little sense! I just feel it sounds better at 10 dB of gain!
My only guess is there is less negative feedback at 20 dB of gain (which is true) and we don't like the added distortion (just guessing here).

You do bring up a good point:
when set to 20 dB of gain with 62 Ohm Q701s, the volume control is turned way down and left to right channel imbalance becomes a problem because the channel to channel matching is not very good in the volume control when turned down to approx. 9-10 o'clock.

Voltage gain does not affect operating temperature.
In theory, it should not matter to the amp if:
 - gain is set high and volume control is set low
or
 - gain is set low and volume control is set high
to get the same volume.

However, if you decide to roll in different Op Amps, it is wise to use a gain of 10 dB or more as the replacement Op Amp you use might oscillate at 0 dBs of gain.
You can check this with an oscilloscope, but you need to have an oscilloscope!
redface.gif

Thanks Chris, lots of good information there! I've got different op-amps in mine, but the impedance on the DAC has forced me to use 10dB gain, and I suppose for the better! All seems good in M-Stage town, now it's time to enjoy some music :)

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #3,127 of 5,176
Quote:
i just purchased the AKG K550 and the dac Audinst HUD-mx1 Hi-Fi USB Audio, will be a good idea to buy the matrix m stage and use it as an amp conected to rca out from the Audinst?
thanks

Waste of money, you could have bought the Matrix mini-i instead and have a better DAC than Audinst, and same amp basically as the M-stage.

Sep 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #3,129 of 5,176
Quote:
i just purchased the AKG K550 and the dac Audinst HUD-mx1 Hi-Fi USB Audio, will be a good idea to buy the matrix m stage and use it as an amp conected to rca out from the Audinst?
thanks

I have the Audinst + M-Stage combo and I like it a lot. It powers everything from my vintage K500s to my modded Fostex T50RP. I think that dac-amp combo has great synergy, so you may be quite happy to use it with your K550s. I should say that the Audinst has a fairly good headphone out, but with the M-Stage you get better bass slam, better clarity (less gain), and bigger soundstage.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #3,131 of 5,176
Quote:
Hello everybody ! I'm planning to use my M-Stage amp with a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC A (and with an AKG K702 headphone). What do you think of this association ? 

Sounds fine to me
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:13 PM Post #3,133 of 5,176
Quote:
Hello everybody ! I'm planning to use my M-Stage amp with a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC A (and with an AKG K702 headphone). What do you think of this association ? 

I think I'm jealous.
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #3,134 of 5,176
Quote:

I would have spent more on the Amp rather than the DAC . But well m-stage is a good match with K702 so it's seems fine . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back