Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 15, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,152 of 5,176
I just received the Matrix M-Stage and had a question.

If I have a pair of headphones plugged into it when I turn the unit off, the music stops immediately and then a second or two later, there is a loud "Whoosh" sound.  Is this normal operation and will it cause any damage to the headphones?

Are you supposed to unplug your headphones before/after you turn the unit on/off?

I worry that it is something like the Schiit Asgard video that they corrected down the line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

Do all the units do this?

Thanks

Oct 15, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,153 of 5,176
I just received the Matrix M-Stage and had a question.

If I have a pair of headphones plugged into it when I turn the unit off, the music stops immediately and then a second or two later, there is a loud "Whoosh" sound.  Is this normal operation and will it cause any damage to the headphones?

Are you supposed to unplug your headphones before/after you turn the unit on/off?

I worry that it is something like the Schiit Asgard video that they corrected down the line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCZ-AJQOiDg

Do all the units do this?

Thanks

It is good practice to ALWAYS unplug headphones before turning the amp Off.
Many amps output a DC pulse after the amp is turned off.

In addition, always turn the amp on, then plug in the 'phones.

Oct 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #3,154 of 5,176
Shouldn't happen with an M-Stage, assuming that it isn't faulty.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #3,155 of 5,176
Hi Guys,

Just got myself an m-stage about a week ago for my HD800 based on the recommendation on this thread. I have encountered a pretty annoying 

I have a CDP and a PC with DAC as sources and both are connected to an integrated Amp. 
In order to add the m-stage to the setup I tried to connect the sources to the m-stage and than the m-stage to the integrated through the analog output.
Unfortunately this setup caused the sound to get very dry and lacking in detail. I am assuming the reason is that this setup pre-amps the signal twice..

what I am trying to achieve is a way to connect the sources to the integrated and feed the m-stage from it if I want to listen to headphones. A much simpler solution than changing the rca every time I want to listen through headphones. 

The solution I found was is to connect the m-stage to the pre-out of the integrated. it works nicely technically but the problem is I do not feel any impovement over the built-in headphone out of the integrated amp (there is a great improvement in sound when the source is directly connected to the m-stage) 

Hope my mumbling makes sense to someone and that a solution is out that there which is simpler than changing wiring twice a day. 

Cheers 
Eli 

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #3,156 of 5,176
Quote:
Hi Guys,

what I am trying to achieve is a way to connect the sources to the integrated and feed the m-stage from it if I want to listen to headphones. A much simpler solution than changing the rca every time I want to listen through headphones. 

The solution I found was is to connect the m-stage to the pre-out of the integrated. it works nicely technically but the problem is I do not feel any impovement over the built-in headphone out of the integrated amp (there is a great improvement in sound when the source is directly connected to the m-stage) 

Hope my mumbling makes sense to someone and that a solution is out that there which is simpler than changing wiring twice a day. 

Cheers 
Eli 

Does your integrated have a tape monitor? Try connecting the "tape out" to the Matrix. That should grab the signal before it's processed by the preamp, but still allow you to use the input selector of the preamp. Of course you will have to use the volume control on the Matrix.

Oct 25, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3,157 of 5,176
Wow what a monster review!!! Why can't all the others write reviews like this?!?!?  How do you find livewire trips comparing to Shure SE 425 or 535?

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #3,158 of 5,176
Hey Joeb,

Thanks for the reply. I did try that, and the CDR out but I get a volume so low that bob dylan sounds like he is whispering about the hurricane :)
Do you (Or anyone) have any idea why that would happen? I tried a couple of different cables but that made no change either. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #3,159 of 5,176
Quote:
Hey Joeb,

Thanks for the reply. I did try that, and the CDR out but I get a volume so low that bob dylan sounds like he is whispering about the hurricane :)
Do you (Or anyone) have any idea why that would happen? I tried a couple of different cables but that made no change either. 

Hard to say without knowing what your pre-amp is.   Most preamps with a "tape out" output a line level signal and that should work going into a line input of the Matrix. Some preamps allow you to listen to one source while taping another, if that's the case you may have to make sure everything is set right. I've seen some preamps that had a switchable tape out between line level and mic level. Could that be the case? Is it a modern preamp with Surround or DTS? It may not be set for 2 channel only.

Just some thoughts.

-Dogwan

Oct 28, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #3,160 of 5,176
Hi everyone
    I ordered Matrix yesterday to match it with my K701 and I just hope it will be as good as every K701/2 owner claims.My first low budget amp was a pro-ject Headbox II which I hated right away being a musically bad match for my cans.I got the Cmoybb from jdslabs after that, but allthough the AKGs sounded great,I couldn't raise up the volume to the limit because of severe clipping.Then I changed my Xonar DX for the Xonar STX since I could use its own headamp which BTW is quite good for the money spent.The problem was that compared to the cmoy the sound was much dryer and harsh.Got back to the cmoy and soldered a second TLE2426 virtual ground resulting to a 15-20% higher  volume level through current increase, thus reaching the desired vol level.I should say that the combination is surprisingly good for a 60$ ''tin''.Music comes out warm,clear,and I can hear low frequencies as never before.OK I know that that may just be due to the fact that I have never listened music through a hi-end dac-amp setup ,and you 'll be probably right.
    I spent dozens of nights reading the head-fi fora,in search for the amp capable to drive these phones to their ''wake-up and shine'' point and I decided to go for the Heed CanAmp.Living in Greece doesn't leave me with a lot of choices for solutions like the Lyr for example as US import tax is high.So it was a pleasant surprise to come upon this M-stage review and discussion,since most of you agree that Matrix is almost as good as the Heed for half the price.I 'll throw a few words as soon as it arrives.
    Some of you have mentioned that rolling to LN4562NA op-amp has been an improvement over the stock OPA2134.Has anyone tried using OPA2227P which BTW comes with the Cmoybb? People say that this op-amp gives a tube-like color to the sound.As for me since I allready have it,I will certainly give it a try  before deciding to order the 4562 and let you know.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #3,161 of 5,176
Quote:
Hard to say without knowing what your pre-amp is.   Most preamps with a "tape out" output a line level signal and that should work going into a line input of the Matrix. Some preamps allow you to listen to one source while taping another, if that's the case you may have to make sure everything is set right. I've seen some preamps that had a switchable tape out between line level and mic level. Could that be the case? Is it a modern preamp with Surround or DTS? It may not be set for 2 channel only.

Just some thoughts.

-Dogwan

Hi and thank for replying

The integrated amp is a harman kardon HK980 stereo amp if it helps. 
The only "solution I found was connecting my sources to the matrix and using the output of the matrix to connect to my integrated. This however causes a degradation in sound quality due to dual preamping. 

The one thing I do not understand is why is the volume when connecting the CDR or Tape out is ridiculously low. this in theory is the perfect solution. any ideas? 

Thanks 

Edit: got it to work fixing some setting on the integrated amp. Thank you for replying and helping get this fixed. finnaly enjoying my CDP properly :)

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #3,162 of 5,176
Quote:
Hi and thank for replying

The integrated amp is a harman kardon HK980 stereo amp if it helps. 
The only "solution I found was connecting my sources to the matrix and using the output of the matrix to connect to my integrated. This however causes a degradation in sound quality due to dual preamping. 

The one thing I do not understand is why is the volume when connecting the CDR or Tape out is ridiculously low. this in theory is the perfect solution. any ideas? 

Thanks 

Edit: got it to work fixing some setting on the integrated amp. Thank you for replying and helping get this fixed. finnaly enjoying my CDP properly :)

Yay! So that is working now using the Tape out? Cool. That's one reason I like older (2-channel) equipment without all that home theater processing.

Curious, is the sound quality where you want it?

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:14 PM Post #3,163 of 5,176
Quote:
Yay! So that is working now using the Tape out? Cool. That's one reason I like older (2-channel) equipment without all that home theater processing.

Curious, is the sound quality where you want it?

Thanks man, your comment is what set me on track to getting it fixed:), i'm pleased it all worked out fine and peace has returned to my sound shrine.
as to your question, I'm in the belief that sound quality is where we want it to be when our mind is sinking into the music. It can be with a 64kbps crappy recording of tom waits singing in some bar or it can be a DVD-A remaster of muddy waters blues singer. the mind takes us there, not better headphones/amps etc.

but yes, the m-stage fed from a real good CDP (Bel canto PL1-A) makes records sing with my HD800. just an absolute joy.  I would perhaps worn people that a mediocre source (cheap dac for example) will not be so nice to listen to if you have the HD800 and m-stage. As my pc rig amp I have the Lake People 109p which does a much better job at making the HD800 fun with just about anything. 
Just my opinion :)

Cheers all 

Oct 28, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #3,164 of 5,176
Hi everyone
    I ordered Matrix yesterday to match it with my K701 and I just hope it will be as good as every K701/2 owner claims.My first low budget amp was a pro-ject Headbox II which I hated right away being a musically bad match for my cans.I got the Cmoybb from jdslabs after that, but allthough the AKGs sounded great,I couldn't raise up the volume to the limit because of severe clipping.Then I changed my Xonar DX for the Xonar STX since I could use its own headamp which BTW is quite good for the money spent.The problem was that compared to the cmoy the sound was much dryer and harsh.Got back to the cmoy and soldered a second TLE2426 virtual ground resulting to a 15-20% higher  volume level through current increase, thus reaching the desired vol level.I should say that the combination is surprisingly good for a 60$ ''tin''.Music comes out warm,clear,and I can hear low frequencies as never before.OK I know that that may just be due to the fact that I have never listened music through a hi-end dac-amp setup ,and you 'll be probably right.
    I spent dozens of nights reading the head-fi fora,in search for the amp capable to drive these phones to their ''wake-up and shine'' point and I decided to go for the Heed CanAmp.Living in Greece doesn't leave me with a lot of choices for solutions like the Lyr for example as US import tax is high.So it was a pleasant surprise to come upon this M-stage review and discussion,since most of you agree that Matrix is almost as good as the Heed for half the price.I 'll throw a few words as soon as it arrives.
    Some of you have mentioned that rolling to LN4562NA op-amp has been an improvement over the stock OPA2134.Has anyone tried using OPA2227P which BTW comes with the Cmoybb? People say that this op-amp gives a tube-like color to the sound.As for me since I allready have it,I will certainly give it a try  before deciding to order the 4562 and let you know.

Let me just say that in my learned opinion, LOL, the Matrix will go loud enough to blow your eardrums out and destroy your headphones too!

Changing the Op Amp changes the sound of the Matrix M very subtley, I think the LM4562, but the MatrixM Stage will still sound like a Matrix M Stage.
:D

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #3,165 of 5,176
I'm selling my new unused opamps that I never got around to rolling.  Buy them!!
http://www.head-fi.org/t/633854/opamps-2x-opa602bp-2x-opa827-2x-ada4627-multiple-adapters-capacitors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back