Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Dec 12, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2,206 of 5,176
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Yes, the M-stage pairs well with any Beyer 600 ohm can.  I speak from experience cause I own the 770/880/990, all 600 ohm.

I can second that................well, just a bit.   My Stage works well with my 600 ohm DT880, more than enough drive, volume, control.

BTW....why do you have the 770, 880 & 990s?
Just curious, no judgement....... you lucky person!
tongue_smile.gif

Dec 12, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #2,207 of 5,176
You two didn't do much to sell me, but you did anyway. DT990 600ohm ordered! Can't wait to see how they compare to the Q701s. Should have them and the M-Stage on Wednesday or Thursday. :)

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #2,208 of 5,176

Quote:
You two didn't do much to sell me, but you did anyway. DT990 600ohm ordered! Can't wait to see how they compare to the Q701s. Should have them and the M-Stage on Wednesday or Thursday. :)

Q701s are awesome!
Don't sell them!

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #2,209 of 5,176

Quote:

Q701s are awesome!
Don't sell them!

They are definitely awesome. Hopefully I will be keeping both the Q701 and DT990 600 ohm. I was just looking for something a little more "fun" and bass heavy for certain styles of music. DT990 seems to get the nod as the open can with the heaviest bass. The Ultrasone Pro 2900 may be stiff competition for the DT990, but it is hard to find much info on them comparing them to the DT990.

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #2,210 of 5,176

Quote:
They are definitely awesome. Hopefully I will be keeping both the Q701 and DT990 600 ohm. I was just looking for something a little more "fun" and bass heavy for certain styles of music. DT990 seems to get the nod as the open can with the heaviest bass. The Ultrasone Pro 2900 may be stiff competition for the DT990, but it is hard to find much info on them comparing them to the DT990.

Yep, I had some trouble deciding between DT880 & 990s!
Neutral or fun,  I went with neutral.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #2,211 of 5,176
Anyone ever noticed any distortion when listening to music via the M-stage and low impedance headphones? I seem to be getting some distortion listening to certain kinds of music when using my UM3x's while on the lowest gain settings. Wondering if these headphones are too sensitive or if I should be concerned that this is an issue with my amp.

Dec 13, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #2,212 of 5,176

Quote:
Anyone ever noticed any distortion when listening to music via the M-stage and low impedance headphones? I seem to be getting some distortion listening to certain kinds of music when using my UM3x's while on the lowest gain settings. Wondering if these headphones are too sensitive or if I should be concerned that this is an issue with my amp.

I have never noticed any distortion from the amp when using AKG K70x series.
I've noticed A LOT of distortion from a lot of recordings, though!
angry_face.gif

Anyway, the Westones have approx. the same impedance as AKG K70x, and the Matrix has no trouble driving the AKG.......so it must be something else.
The Westones are far more efficient than the K701s so a gain setting of 10 dB makes sense.
When you look at the efficiency of the Westones the M Stage should have any problem driving them.
Just for fun, try a higher gain setting, you should have to turn the volume down to maybe 9 o'clock to use them, but you never know until to try it out.  

The M Stage can output a lot of current and a lot of voltage so it should be able to drive almost any headphone.
It also has a low output impedance so should have any trouble with a low impedance or high impedance 'phone.
It can even drive my 2,000 ohm Sennheisers! No, that's not a typo.

YMMV

Dec 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #2,213 of 5,176

Quote:

You will be appalled at the amount of compression and clipping in many of today's popular recordings.
eek.gif

With better phones and systems you can clearly hear these issues.
Just open the offending audio files in Audacity or any audio editing program and you will see the problems in their waveforms.

Dec 13, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #2,215 of 5,176

Quote:
You will be appalled and the amount of compression and clipping in many of today's popular recordings.
eek.gif

Just open the offending audio files in Audacity or any audio editing program and you will see the problems in their waveforms

I hope you don't mean 0db gain? Keep in mind that certain op amp's require a minimum amount of gain to work correctly. This maybe the cause of the distortion you hear.

Dec 13, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #2,216 of 5,176

Quote:

I hope you don't mean 0db gain? Keep in mind that certain op amp's require a minimum amount of gain to work correctly. This maybe the cause of the distortion you hear.

The stock op amp should be stable and OK to use at 0 dB gain.
I  have a Class A modded OPA627 in mine. Works fine at 0 dB gain.

Quote:

I tried  out my M Stage with my Shure SE210 'phones at 0 dB gain.............they sounded Ok...............for Shure SE210s!
tongue_smile.gif

One of these days I should get something better.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2,217 of 5,176

Quote:
I have never noticed any distortion from the amp when using AKG K70x series.
I've noticed A LOT of distortion from a lot of recordings, though!
angry_face.gif

Anyway, the Westones have approx. the same impedance as AKG K70x, and the Matrix has no trouble driving the AKG.......so it must be something else.
The Westones are far more efficient than the K701s so a gain setting of 10 dB makes sense.
When you look at the efficiency of the Westones the M Stage should have any problem driving them.
Just for fun, try a higher gain setting, you should have to turn the volume down to maybe 9 o'clock to use them, but you never know until to try it out.  

The M Stage can output a lot of current and a lot of voltage so it should be able to drive almost any headphone.
It also has a low output impedance so should have any trouble with a low impedance or high impedance 'phone.
It can even drive my 2,000 ohm Sennheisers! No, that's not a typo.

YMMV

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give them a shot with the 10 dB gain. I'll also look at the waveform of the songs to maybe spot if the mastering of the song is causing the issues.

Quote:
You will be appalled at the amount of compression and clipping in many of today's popular recordings.
eek.gif

Just open the offending audio files in Audacity or any audio editing program and you will see the problems in their waveforms.

Will do!

Quote:

I am on 0db gain right now and have the Class A modded OPA627 in my M-stage. Would I want to bump the gain up to a specific number here?

I have my volume dial at about the 11-12 o'clock setting and a lot of songs sound just fine but I do get some distortion/clipping that I don't hear un-amp'd or just coming out of my uDAC.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2,218 of 5,176
The original Lehman I don't think was designed for such low impedance IEMs...I remember reading somewhere on the forums about recommended not to use IEMs on them

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #2,220 of 5,176

Quote:
The original Lehman I don't think was designed for such low impedance IEMs...I remember reading somewhere on the forums about recommended not to use IEMs on them

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, why not? I just don't understand???
confused_face_2.gif

I guess you are talking about the Lehmann Black Cube Linear?
I don't see why it wouldn't be able to drive a low impdeance IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back