Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
Oct 25, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #1,981 of 5,176
Been looking into the M-Stage and was wondering if anyone could compare it with the AMB M3, particularly with an HD650. Did a couple searches and couldn't find much.

Oct 25, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #1,982 of 5,176
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the M^3 with sigma11 beats it, although probably not by too much.  Just a guess going by how UncleErik deemed it a match for the Sheer Audio HA-006+, which is based on the dynalo circuit.  I've tried the Gilmore Lite (also a dynalo), and just with its crummy wallwart, it was on par with my modded M-Stage, and even beat it in a few ways.  I can imagine the Sheer Audio HA006 (which has a better psu than the Gilmore Lite I tried) and AMB M^3 w/ sigma11 being upgrades over the M-Stage.

Oct 28, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,983 of 5,176
Quote:
Mad Max said:

Having just finished reading this entire thread [1 week,
rolleyes.gif
So hey, I'm slow.]
I wanted to say Thanks for all your contributions.
It is greatly appreciated.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, to my first query for this distinguished quorum.

I am on the fence between the Matrix M-Stage and the Lovely Cube.
I would like to ask, besides the obvious physical layout, what electronic/sonic superiority, if any, does one have over the other?

I noticed that the Matrix uses an encapsulated PCB mounted torroidal tranformer while the Lovely has an easily replaceable torroid. Would a chunkier torroid (50VA or greater) offer any improvement over the stock 30VA torroid?

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #1,984 of 5,176

Quote:
Quote:

Having just finished reading this entire thread [1 week,
rolleyes.gif
So hey, I'm slow.]
I wanted to say Thanks for all your contributions.
It is greatly appreciated.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, to my first query for this distinguished quorum.

I am on the fence between the Matrix M-Stage and the Lovely Cube.
I would like to ask, besides the obvious physical layout, what electronic/sonic superiority, if any, does one have over the other?

I noticed that the Matrix uses an encapsulated PCB mounted torroidal tranformer while the Lovely has an easily replaceable torroid. Would a chunkier torroid (50VA or greater) offer any improvement over the stock 30VA torroid?

I can't see why a larger toroid would improve the sound.
30 VA is immense when you consider that headphones only draw a few milliWatts (or a few milliVA).

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #1,985 of 5,176
Oct 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,986 of 5,176

Quote:
  Quote:

I would tend to agree with you.  But it is this post by Flukell which makes me wonder.  His profile suggests a level of authenticity.  He even has a photo of what seems to be a genuine unpopulated PCB of a Lehmann Black Cube Linear.

Wow!
Just my opinion, but I would think upgraded caps anywhere in the circuit or an upgraded Op Amp would make a bigger difference than a bigger toroid.

Edit:  A bigger toroid may need a bigger box for the LC.

Oct 29, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #1,987 of 5,176
Get the Matrix M-Stage if you want a proven finished product and simple opamp modding. It uses above average parts, nothing exotic. There isn't really any big improvement can be had by upgrading the passive components. Plug-n-play.

Get the Lovely Cube as a kit if you are a modder, where you can easily change transistors, capacitor, etc with exotic components. The price can get out of hand with exotic parts and performance improvement may not be that significant.

If you are die-hard modder, another option to to get one of those very inexpensive "Lehmann inspired kits" on eBay and mod till your hearts content.
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #1,988 of 5,176
I don't intend to go beyond OpAmp swaps, class A biasing and perhaps remove the input capacitors (DC offset aware).

I was wondering, if the Matrix (Ver.2) with the torroid integrated onto the single PCB and with the RCA input jacks PCB mounted, etc., does the consolidated PCB offer any sonic improvements?  Less noise perhaps? Other than easier (cheaper) assembly I can't think of anything.

The Lovely Cube Premium uses Neutrik gold plated headphone jacks and gold-plated RCA input jacks.  The Lovelys also seem to have a better(?), smoother(?) ALPS-27 volume pot.  Does the Matrix use the same Alps volume pot?  Why are there complaints about the Matrix pot being stiff, hard to turn?  Is it simply because the Matrix knob is smaller in diameter than the Lovely?

Thanks for your input.

I already have a few OpAmp samples and their associated paraphernalia on their way
bigsmile_face.gif
 Woo Hoo!

LME49720HA-ND (same as LM4562HA-ND)
ADA4627-1
OPA209AID
OPA602BP

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #1,990 of 5,176

Quote:
One more question which I am too embarrassed to ask eleswhere.  Please bear with me.

I noticed there is a new "balanced" Matrix Quattro amp.  It seems to be designed around a pair of Matrix M-Stages.

What are the merits of "balanced" amps?  Should I want one for a Grado 325i hp?

Balanced amps will output twice as much voltage as a non balanced version.
Grados don't need a lot of voltage as they are low impedance cans.

If balanced amp are not truly balanced then you can get more distortion than you would from a non balanced version.
I really doubt that Matrix has trimmed out the two amps they are using to create one symmetrical balanced amp but you never know.........I haven't seen any schematics for the balanced version on the web.
So if they didn't do their homework you could be paying extra money for nothing.

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #1,992 of 5,176

Quote:
I don't intend to go beyond OpAmp swaps, class A biasing and perhaps remove the input capacitors (DC offset aware).

I was wondering, if the Matrix (Ver.2) with the torroid integrated onto the single PCB and with the RCA input jacks PCB mounted, etc., does the consolidated PCB offer any sonic improvements?  Less noise perhaps? Other than easier (cheaper) assembly I can't think of anything.

The Lovely Cube Premium uses Neutrik gold plated headphone jacks and gold-plated RCA input jacks.  The Lovelys also seem to have a better(?), smoother(?) ALPS-27 volume pot.  Does the Matrix use the same Alps volume pot?  Why are there complaints about the Matrix pot being stiff, hard to turn?  Is it simply because the Matrix knob is smaller in diameter than the Lovely?

Thanks for your input.

I already have a few OpAmp samples and their associated paraphernalia on their way
bigsmile_face.gif
 Woo Hoo!

LME49720HA-ND (same as LM4562HA-ND)
ADA4627-1
OPA209AID
OPA602BP

The nice thing about integrated PCB is that there are no chance of miss wire, it has happen to older hand wired M-Stages, and less variation from unit to unit. Hand routing, quality of the wire shielding, and solder joint quality can cause variation in noise level, maybe for the better or for the worst.

The Matrix does have the same Alps pot. As you have mentioned, the knob has a smooth, small diameter center spindle that makes it hard to grip and turn.
The RCA jack of the Matrix is also gold plated, but not as nice as the one on the premium Lovely Cubes.

You should also consider some sight differences in functionality, the Matrix has dual input RCA with selector switch at the front; where as the Lovely Cube has an extra headphone jack. Take your pick on which features you value most. I doubt there is significant differences in sound quality between the two. Even if there is, it is really a personal taste as to which is to your liking. Just pick one for the features and get a bunch of opamps and start rolling and enjoying.
L3000.gif

Nov 9, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #1,993 of 5,176
Hey guys, just received my matrix m-stage amp :). trying to connect it to my Asus Xonar Essence STX card. pretty new to amps in general as well. I connected a 2rca cable to the amp, and then to soundcard. what should the settings be in control panel? set analog out to 2 speakers, but only get sound out of left channel, not right, and very quiet at that. so im doing something wrong?

Nov 9, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,994 of 5,176

Quote:
Hey guys, just received my matrix m-stage amp :). trying to connect it to my Asus Xonar Essence STX card. pretty new to amps in general as well. I connected a 2rca cable to the amp, and then to soundcard. what should the settings be in control panel? set analog out to 2 speakers, but only get sound out of left channel, not right, and very quiet at that. so im doing something wrong?

I am too lazy too look up your soundcard so here goes...........LOL.
Obviously something is way out of whack.
Does sound card have a dedicated Line Out jack? Sounds like that is what you are using?
Can you set line out to 2.0 Volts nominal?
Try swapping left RCA with right RCA on the soundcard to see if problem is in the RCA cable. I doubt it, but it should be ruled out.
Can you turn volume up on sound card?
Is mute on?

My experience is: when I use the Matrix with a Digital to Analog converter, I set the gain to 10 dBs
When I use my AKG Q701, the Matrix volume control is approx. 11 to 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock starts to get really loud.

Nov 9, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,995 of 5,176

Users who are viewing this thread

Back