Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 16, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #1,711 of 5,176
I bought an M-Stage recently. 

The M-Stage manual says "Class A" on it already, so what's the point of the mod? (pardon my ignorance, I don't understand what the biasing is all about)

I was planning on modding it but it voids the warranty. . . bummer.

May 16, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #1,713 of 5,176

Quote:
I bought an M-Stage recently. 

The M-Stage manual says "Class A" on it already, so what's the point of the mod? (pardon my ignorance, I don't understand what the biasing is all about)

I was planning on modding it but it voids the warranty. . . bummer.

Output stage is Class A, but input/voltage gain stage technically isn't (unless you use an op-amp that is inherently Class A)

The biasing is all about making the op-amp work more in single-ended mode (with its own internal transistors) which makes it sound better. The biasing IMO makes the amp sound more authoritative, detailed, and clear.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html

May 17, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #1,714 of 5,176
Hello jtam,

I sent an e-mail as well as a PM in regards to a question I had.  I was wondering if either had been received as I am trying to figure out what to do going forward to resolve an issue.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

May 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #1,715 of 5,176

Quote:

Output stage is Class A, but input/voltage gain stage technically isn't (unless you use an op-amp that is inherently Class A)

The biasing is all about making the op-amp work more in single-ended mode (with its own internal transistors) which makes it sound better. The biasing IMO makes the amp sound more authoritative, detailed, and clear.

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamp-bias.html

Hmmm, I guess I'll give it a try a year from now then. . . . ty

May 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #1,716 of 5,176
My M-Stage is arrived yesterday, no trouble, still on trying it :wink:

May 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #1,720 of 5,176

Quote:
i have no hesitation in recommending NFB-3 with dir9001 module at the $300 mark, or the slightly better NFB-2 (which is what i'm using) at the $450 level.

Those look really nice, but I'd have to wait a bit before I can afford one lol :D
My wallet hates me.

Quote:
Did anyone change some internals like caps yet or install a discrete OPA? I wonder how much it could improve by doing that..

A while back (like way back) in this thread I think I read somewhere that purrin (I think?) was experimenting with just about modding everything inside from opamp rolling, to opamp rolling with class a biasing to cap removals.  I don't know much about that kind of thing (still new to most of this) but from what I remember he said it made a difference, how much I don't know.  The safest mod is definitely opamp rolling though (IMO).  Nothing that can really go wrong there... unless you like... well... snap a pin off (lol).

May 19, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #1,721 of 5,176
I'm using Earth OPA, they need a very long time to sound the best, if anyone is thinking of using them, please be patient.

May 19, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #1,722 of 5,176
I've used the Moon OPA and am now using the SUN V2 OPA. Both took at least 300 hours to burn in. They both do have greater soundstage than the OPA627 Class A bias mod though. Moon was a bit too smooth for me and I enjoyed the dynamics of the SUN more.

May 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,723 of 5,176
You try both of them with your AKG K702 Clams?  If so which one sound great on the AKG 702.

May 19, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,724 of 5,176
Quote:
Those look really nice, but I'd have to wait a bit before I can afford one lol :D
My wallet hates me.

A while back (like way back) in this thread I think I read somewhere that purrin (I think?) was experimenting with just about modding everything inside from opamp rolling, to opamp rolling with class a biasing to cap removals.  I don't know much about that kind of thing (still new to most of this) but from what I remember he said it made a difference, how much I don't know.  The safest mod is definitely opamp rolling though (IMO).  Nothing that can really go wrong there... unless you like... well... snap a pin off (lol).

The wait for an NFB-3 will be worth it though, my NFB-2 sounds great when used with my M-Stage

May 19, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #1,725 of 5,176

Quote:
You try both of them with your AKG K702 Clams?  If so which one sound great on the AKG 702.

I prefer the SUN over the MOON in general. The SUN sounds great with pretty much all genres. It's pretty unforgiving with bad recording with the K702. With poorly mastered music, the Moon may be a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back