Matrix M-Stage amp review: simple, cheap, and excellent.
May 12, 2011 at 10:35 PM Post #1,697 of 5,176
^ agreed. The matrix is just that, musical, dynamic... throw in various synonyms here > _______   period.

The asgard didnt sound bad.. but it lacked what i needed to keep listening to it day after day you know?

in class A the matrix presents so much detail and resolve through my ad900 i cant imagine good dubstep/techno/whatever ( check out "Drum & Bass Arena - Evolution" if your up for a good ride, itunes has it) you want to call it more intriguing, yea the ad900 is bass shy but, forget about super punchy bass when you can hear all those goodies in the mid to high range with decent bass extension which this combo exhibits so well. I have been through many "mid-fi" amps and this one plays the best with everything by far.

M

May 14, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #1,698 of 5,176
hello,

yesterday i received my amp "the matrix  m-stage in silver" and I'm happy...happy...all is OK the inputs are correct and the sound is great.

:) tony

May 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #1,699 of 5,176

Quote:
For anyone still rolling opamps with the M-Stage, I can strongly recommend the LME49720HA. It's the metal can version of the LM4562NA, and for some reason it's much better. The bass is richer and deeper, and the highs are more refined, but the overall sound retains the punch and clarity of the 4562. Very impressive - and it doesn't need class-a biasing, because the main reason for going class-a with the 4562 was to warm the sound up a bit, which this chip doesn't need.

Far better IMHO than anything else I've tried, which includes OPA627, LM4562 and LME49860, all with various resistor values for class-a biasing. This guy is selling them on eBay, and offers excellent service: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110678957781

What HPs were you using when listening to the LME49720HA?

I tried it with Beyerdynamic DT-990 600 ohm cans.  It was so bright it was unlistenable.  Tried it in the Class A bias adapter and it was better, no more ear piercing highs.  The metal can gets pretty hot really quick when biased into Class A.

May 14, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #1,700 of 5,176

Quote:
What HPs were you using when listening to the LME49720HA?

I tried it with Beyerdynamic DT-990 600 ohm cans.  It was so bright it was unlistenable.  Tried it in the Class A bias adapter and it was better, no more ear piercing highs.  The metal can gets pretty hot really quick when biased into Class A.

I should have mentioned that, sorry - I was using HD650. I tried it in Class A too, and I think you're right that the treble gets less sharp, but in my case I think I liked it less - sounded a bit smeared. With the HD650 it isn't piercing at all, just very crisp and punchy. I didn't give it that long though, because of the heat issue. I may get a heatsink and give it another go. I guess this goes to show the importance of synergy.

May 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #1,701 of 5,176
hi, recently got my matrix with opa627 class a bias mod (i bought a second-hand)
rolleyes.gif

newbie here asking, which gain setting is the best when paired it with my dt880/600 pro ? i also use my ath ad900..which gain setting is the best?
sorry, this is my first amp.. right now, its on the 18db, i had to raise the volume knob to 1~3 to make my dt880 sounds good (*at my hearing volume level) (ath at 10~12 clock). what i fear is messing with the gain setting and end up breaking my headphones.
sorry noobs here
beerchug.gif

May 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #1,702 of 5,176
Hi guys, my Matrix M stage was working fine till yesterday the blue LED died. Surprisingly the input1 and 2 are still working fine.Any idea if I can fix the LED, allows me to know if the thing is actually on or off. Opened up the unit and found nothing wron. Im using TAcima cs929 socket so i guess nothing should be blown. Another user daisengan experienced similar incident but miraculously his LED pop backed on again after few hours being on. Advice? Thanks

May 15, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #1,704 of 5,176

Quote:
blown led is not unusual these days, even for the most expensive equipment/component - it happens. if cfg is your seller, ask him for a replacement led; otherwise check mouser, digikey, rs ..

haha, i checked the PCB board how am i suppose to change the LED even if he sends me one new one, pull the metal pin out and solder? Well if it doesnt affect the sound i will just leave it then...wonder how it blew with 3 surge protectors preceding it :frowning2:

May 15, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #1,705 of 5,176
yep, u would need to remove the pcb from the chassis, desolder the defective led, replace with new one & resolder.

i doubt that the led failed because of anything u did or an issue with your setup ... it was most likely a nominal part to begin with ... quantity before quality.

May 15, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #1,706 of 5,176
If you bought from me, I can send you some new LEDs and a soldering iron :)

Quote:
haha, i checked the PCB board how am i suppose to change the LED even if he sends me one new one, pull the metal pin out and solder? Well if it doesnt affect the sound i will just leave it then...wonder how it blew with 3 surge protectors preceding it :frowning2:

May 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM Post #1,709 of 5,176

Quote:
My mstage is normal... right is right and left is left. hmm     I wouldnt worry though, something just got soldered backwards. just plug them in backwards and forget about it.

M

I noticed that you use the AD900. Does the m-stage improve its performance even though its an easy to drive pair of cans.

May 16, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #1,710 of 5,176
First post for me on head fi!  (Been lurking around forever, but finally decided that the community is definitely for me)

After reading most of this thread (took a looooooooooong time, but interesting read), I figured I'd jump on my first headphone amp since overall for the money it looks like its a lot of bang for the buck.

Thought I'd ask some of you here a few questions about the m-stage, since obviously I don't have one yet and who better to ask than someone who owns one.

I'm thinking about the v2 black, however I'm highly interested in opamp rolling and class a biasing.  Was wondering whats the difference between these two:

1)  http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

I figure the above is simply an adapter that you can put in your own op amps (2x of course).

And this

2)  http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

The board looks slightly different than number 1.  Any difference here?

Also was wondering if these two are what I need to get this baby rolling with 627's w/ class a biasing.

1)  http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=54

And

2)  http://coolfungadget.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=91

Or either of the ones from above with 2x OPA627's.

Looks like it would run $280 shipped with the mod (which I would install myself, but no big deal).  Anyone order from his store?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back